Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
rockin'

I'm just hoping I didn't get it in too late. And I have no idea what the coverage will turn out to be. I just hope it turns out to give less opportunity for the cheat and medusahead. I was worried if I didn't get it planted I'd have a bag of rye sitting there all winter as we're dude for 1-3 inches of snow tonight. And colder weather, highs in the 30's after that. It's been in the 50s daytimes lately so I could still work that topsoil.

It's all "hobby farmin'" anyway. I can't go broke on a $17 bag of seed and a couple of hours worth of diesel.

The deer might like it when it comes up too. Maybe put in for an archery tag next year and set up behind the tractor shed grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Looking good Geno. Would love to farm more on our place-now up to 33 acres but it's crappy N.Nev land canyon up over the mountain and down.

I'm sure glad I traded my couple of acres of 10' deep columbian loam in the N. Sac valley for what I now have but all the Californians have followed me here. Last frost and snow 6/11 first frost was probably third week of Oct. And that was a little late.

I know you know the drill in Modoc Co. Beautiful country.

We got lucky with this place J. Our house side of the seasonal creek is volcanic rock/ red clay/ and shallow hardpan. Of course, they were smart putting the house here, it's not in the flood area. The side with the field in it is all bottom land. All that working the dirt and I found one softball sized rock when I was I done. Not sure how deep the hardpan is, but I can sink a shovel and keep going without hitting any. Put some fruit trees in this past spring and didn't hit any going down about 2', so I'm happy.

I know what you mean about moving to an area you like, but having to deal with that weather. June 19 here for last frost and first frost was early Sept. I think I added it up to 81 frost free nights. Probably why grass hay, alfalfa, and beef are the biggest agriculture items here and why high tunnels are so popular.

Happy for you that you got away, but that Valley dirt is sure some good stuff, and being able to grow a palm tree means a whole lot of other stuff is an option too. If I lived down there I'd have my own olive trees for sure. I picked up a couple of supposedly cold tolerant pomegranate bushes this past spring, they're in winter mode now on the south side of the house. I'll know in the spring if they really are cold tolerant.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

Nice one.

Cereal rye is one of the best soil builders there is.

good for growing spawn on.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

Nice one.

Cereal rye is one of the best soil builders there is.

good for growing spawn on.

shocked

laugh

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.