Print Thread
Hop To
W
wy0ming Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm reading the Glock book by Paul Barrett, and I came across this passage in the section about the lawsuits filed against Glock by people who shot themselves with their guns:

"You don't put the finger on the trigger until you're prepared to destroy something - kill it."

Yet that wasn't the rule all handgun owners followed. The FBI, until it fully changed over to pistols in the 1990s, instructed recruits to keep their index finger on the trigger of their handgun anytime they had it drawn. The idea was that the agent should be ready to shoot. Of course, it was safer to rest your finger on a revolver trigger that provided twelve pounds of resistance. In many places, police trainers favored the same approach until at least the early 1990s. It was not until 1995 or so, with the semiautomatic pistol having become the predominant American handgun, that finger-off-the-trigger became gospel.

I'm a little younger than some of you guys, so maybe some of you older folks can enlighten me. Is that passage accurate?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wonder if these same people suing Glock are also suing lumber companies because they fell down the stairs. When I was younger, there wasn't such a strict prohibition regarding having one's finger on the trigger. It also seemed that for all the accidents that happened, people largely chalked them up as "dumbass did some dumbass stuff." Now we have to parse it all out, because "don't do dumbass stuff" isn't enough of a rule, I guess.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It would seem crazy to walk around with a handgun drawn and finger on the trigger especially during a stressful situation. I could see this being true though...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Most knowledgeable shooters recognize the difference between a double action trigger requiring significant travel with, at best, over 6 lb. of force, and a single action trigger requiring significantly less movement and effort.
But it is a lot easier, smarter, and safer learning and ingraining into your gun handling one rule as opposed to remembering what kind of trigger you are dealing with in the moment.

Last edited by Gun_Doc; 12/11/20.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by douglasfir

I'm a little younger than some of you guys, so maybe some of you older folks can enlighten me. Is that passage accurate?

Makes perfect sense to me to have your finger lightly in contact with the trigger face of a double action revolver (e.g., Colt or S&W) if immediate trouble is anticipated. That's one of the safety features of the double action revolver trigger, i.e., unless it's cocked, you pretty much have to intend to fire it for it to go off. No way I'd do that on a Glock, though. Too short a distance for the trigger to travel. Finger stays straight till you're ready to fire.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by douglasfir
I'm reading the Glock book by Paul Barrett, and I came across this passage in the section about the lawsuits filed against Glock by people who shot themselves with their guns:

"You don't put the finger on the trigger until you're prepared to destroy something - kill it."

Yet that wasn't the rule all handgun owners followed. The FBI, until it fully changed over to pistols in the 1990s, instructed recruits to keep their index finger on the trigger of their handgun anytime they had it drawn. The idea was that the agent should be ready to shoot. Of course, it was safer to rest your finger on a revolver trigger that provided twelve pounds of resistance. In many places, police trainers favored the same approach until at least the early 1990s. It was not until 1995 or so, with the semiautomatic pistol having become the predominant American handgun, that finger-off-the-trigger became gospel.

Yes it is accurate.

"Finger straight and off the trigger" was not gospel until Jeff Cooper publicized his four safety rules and they became prominent everywhere. Including LE circles.

Lots of law enforcement training predated those rules.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
In 1983 I went to the academy of one of the largest agencies in southern California. There was certainly no one recommending fingers on the trigger of our model 66's at that time. As an agency we transitioned to the Glock model 22 in 1991 and we all went to a one-week semi-auto training course. Once again no one ever considered having us keep our fingers on the trigger. It was always alongside the frame until ready to shoot. Not sure where the author of that article got his information.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont think cops running around with drawn guns was a common in the past.

They rarely pulled a gun unless they were going to use it.
Now, they pull it out without much provocation.

Good and bad to that.
But it has an impact on finger on the trigger and other safety issues.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Good and bad to that.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Good and bad to that.

We pulled our guns all the time. There were just NO video cameras around to record it.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Finger stays straight till you're ready to fire.

And then you will jerk the trigger on the 1st shot, guaranteed, in trying to make up time.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Finger stays straight till you're ready to fire.

And then you will jerk the trigger on the 1st shot, guaranteed, in trying to make up time.

MM

That hasn't been my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot more, in various scenarios...................you'll find out if you're honest with yourself.

It's not really a natural movement from A to B.

MM

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Shoot more, in various scenarios...................you'll find out if you're honest with yourself.

It's not really a natural movement from A to B.

MM

I'm no handgunner, but playing around with the guys that damn near live in a shoot house up at Ft Chaffee, had one of them bolt a small laser sight on the rail of my p226, empty pistol practice, with pistol in hand and ready to dry fire moving through a darkened room, they scared the chit out of me, I fired, they recorded, that gotdamn red line on a wall 14 feet away was four feet wide! yea, I yanked the shlt out of that trigger.................and they all laughed! all in good fun, but very telling nonetheless.

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Douglasfir: I can only add this - I went through the 4 month long Police Academy for a department with 1,150 officers back in the late 1960's.
We (the police officers guild) owned the large police range and site of the academy at the time.
We shot 50 rounds apiece each week day of the academy.
IF... one of the three range officer/instructors behind us on the firing line saw a finger in a trigger guard of our revolvers before the commence fire order was given, that instructor would strike us in the ear, HARD, with a cupped open hand!
This hurt - and errant trigger placement soon ceased amongst us all.
By the way we were never offered or asked to wear "ear protection" back then - our ears rang/hurt so much that some officer/cadets began bringing cigarette filters to stuff in our ears to keep them from ringing the rest of the day.
Times have changed!
But last I heard (23 - 24 years ago) the academy recruit/officers on that department were taught to keep their fingers along side the frame of their Glocks as they waited/decided to fire their pistol.
That system is indeed a "tad" slower to get off the first shot but its intent is/was to avoid the startle response and subsequent unintended trigger pull.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
wy0ming Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks everyone for the info. It's interesting to learn about the different attitudes (some) people had in the past.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.