Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I look forward to Longbeardking's postings every year on his Anticosti trip with Nan. He has a knack for taking great pictures, and taking you along on their hunts. I really missed reading this years version, but should make next years pics and stories even better.
I'll be 70 in a few months, and my hunting buddy now is my 13 year old grandson back in Vermont. We hunted hard this year, and only saw a few deer, but did have a shot at a nice buck on the very last day. It was about 8am and we had been climbing a hardwood ridge for about the last hour. We had just got to the top of a steep hill, which gave us a view of a nice little Oak flat shelf, and caught movement to our left. Sure enough a nice buck walking down the ridge, not 50 yards from us. I started to raise my rifle for what I thought at the time was going to be an easy shot. No sooner had I thought that, he winded us and bolted giving me a running broadside shot, which I missed. I'll be the first to admit, I am a terrible shot at a running deer. He stopped maybe 100 yards out from us, giving me a second shot, but thru a lot of whips. We looked for close to an hour for a trace of blood, but nothing. I turned to my grandson and asked "Are you as disappointed as I am?" He looked at me with a smile and said "Grampa, at least I got to see a nice buck!"
I think about that buck every day, but also think about what my grandson said to me that morning. It's not always about the kill, it took my grandsons perspective of things to realize how lucky I was to have that happen, with him with me.
My nephew, who is "Foss" on here, took a dandy 8 pointer, 160lb buck the first Wednesday of the season. It was a great time, and can't wait till next year.
Would love to take a trip to Anticosti with the Grandson, Son and Nephew some year. At my age, I better start making plans!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lightning
I look forward to Longbeardking's postings every year on his Anticosti trip with Nan. He has a knack for taking great pictures, and taking you along on their hunts. I really missed reading this years version, but should make next years pics and stories even better.
I'll be 70 in a few months, and my hunting buddy now is my 13 year old grandson back in Vermont. We hunted hard this year, and only saw a few deer, but did have a shot at a nice buck on the very last day. It was about 8am and we had been climbing a hardwood ridge for about the last hour. We had just got to the top of a steep hill, which gave us a view of a nice little Oak flat shelf, and caught movement to our left. Sure enough a nice buck walking down the ridge, not 50 yards from us. I started to raise my rifle for what I thought at the time was going to be an easy shot. No sooner had I thought that, he winded us and bolted giving me a running broadside shot, which I missed. I'll be the first to admit, I am a terrible shot at a running deer. He stopped maybe 100 yards out from us, giving me a second shot, but thru a lot of whips. We looked for close to an hour for a trace of blood, but nothing. I turned to my grandson and asked "Are you as disappointed as I am?" He looked at me with a smile and said "Grampa, at least I got to see a nice buck!"
I think about that buck every day, but also think about what my grandson said to me that morning. It's not always about the kill, it took my grandsons perspective of things to realize how lucky I was to have that happen, with him with me.
My nephew, who is "Foss" on here, took a dandy 8 pointer, 160lb buck the first Wednesday of the season. It was a great time, and can't wait till next year.
Would love to take a trip to Anticosti with the Grandson, Son and Nephew some year. At my age, I better start making plans!

You also tell a great story. Memories last a lifetime. Stay well.............

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Were Canadians allowed to hunt Anticosti this year, and if so, I wonder how much hunting pressure the island had with no non residents allowed? If the winter isn't a severe one this year, it may bode well for you guys who have booked for next year. It will be interesting to read the reports next Nov-Dec. Good luck to all.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes Quebec hunters got to hunt Anticosti this year. Foreign hunters make up only about 20 per cent in a normal year. That is mostly USA.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks Joe, sounds like next year would be a good year to book a hunt. I just heard from my daughter back in Vermont, that they got dumped on with 38" of snow Wednesday night into Thursday afternoon! I'm sure Anticosti got even more, as they were right in the path of the storm. I hope they don't get too severe a winter, and have a lot of winter kill.

IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I am booked for next year, just like the last 20 or so. I doubt hunting has much impact on the deer beyond making them more wary of hunters. Anticosti deer numbers are much more dependent on the winter, especially if it breaks late when the deer are at their weakest. That is what the winter kill of 2003 was about, a late ice storm in March or April and all the hunters found, myself included, were piles of fur and bones in the forests.

It was not just US hunters who were absent this year. I have been told (by someone from Quebec who did hunt) that many hunters from Quebec also opted out this year. I can't blame them. The plane ride, the truck rides, and the close quarters of the camp are an invitation to Covid or that matter the flu or any disease with an airborne spread. . The island is also no place to get sick, especially if you are out in a camp.

Looking forward to next year.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Call them NOW. My favorite lodge Chicotte is already booked full for 2021. In a normal year they are usually booked by early March for the less popular cabins and lodges. I've been trying to get back into Chicotte mid month for the past two years. All booked by Jan. This year there are hunters who booked for 2020 and couldn't cross the border due to Covid. We were offered a full refund or rebook for 2021. I rebooted both my Sept and Dec hunts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Call them NOW. My favorite lodge Chicotte is already booked full for 2021. In a normal year they are usually booked by early March for the less popular cabins and lodges. I've been trying to get back into Chicotte mid month for the past two years. All booked by Jan. This year there are hunters who booked for 2020 and couldn't cross the border due to Covid. We were offered a full refund or rebook for 2021. I rebooted both my Sept and Dec hunts.

PLEASE try to come back. I am home for the foreseeable future caring for Nan. She has had a stroke and I am caring for her. They have found a hole in her heart but for some reason aren't planning surgery right now. I am a basket case.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
...PLEASE try to come back. I am home for the foreseeable future caring for Nan. She has had a stroke and I am caring for her. They have found a hole in her heart but for some reason aren't planning surgery right now. I am a basket case.

I wish your Nan all the best and a speedy recovery.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
...PLEASE try to come back. I am home for the foreseeable future caring for Nan. She has had a stroke and I am caring for her. They have found a hole in her heart but for some reason aren't planning surgery right now. I am a basket case.

I wish your Nan all the best and a speedy recovery.

Thank you my friend.

IC B3

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I wish you the best and pray that everything turns out well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, but let's not hi-jack this thread with my problems. The fact is that BOTH my wife and ILOVE Anticosti and Canada. If all goes well, we WILL be back,

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So sorry to hear of your bride's health issue. May God bless her and heal her, and may she join you on many more successful Anticosti hunts in the future.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, but let's not hi-jack this thread with my problems. The fact is that BOTH my wife and ILOVE Anticosti and Canada. If all goes well, we WILL be back,

Sir;
My intent isn't to disrespect your wishes by saying this, but please know that you and your wife will be in my thoughts and prayers.

May the surgeon's hands be guided, may you both find rest and peace and healing for your wife.

Hopefully that's acceptable sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ALL of you fellows are the ABSOLUTE best. We love you all for your concern

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ALL of you fellows are the ABSOLUTE best. We love you all for your concern

LBK...I've got my fingers crossed for you and Nan.

And I hear what you said about getting older. One by one things I used to do are falling away.....but in retrospect I'm SO glad I did them SO many times! Makes letting them go a lot easier.....

Theres no more mountain climbing for me either!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Believe it or not every time I posted about out hunting together I honestly realized how lucky we were. Posting about Anticosti has given me friends even tough I never met them in person. No matter what anyone says people that care ARE easy to find. We are NOT doom and gloom. THANK YOU INGWE.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both you and Nan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both you and Nan.

Thank you Joe. We both miss your conversations.
'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best wishes for you both Steve, you'll be in our prayers.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (808outdoors, B52RadarNav, 35, ar33c9, 10Glocks, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.