Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Ky221
They sowed to the wind with their POS Walker trigger and reaped the whirlwind... screw them.

Eleven 700s in my safe, every single one except the 223 has a walker trigger..... and that’s exactly what’s getting ready to go in it as well. Not a thing wrong with that trigger.

You disagree with Mike Walker, who in a sworn affidavit stated he begged Remington to dis-use the trigger. And yes, I've read the documents first-hand.

Guess you know more...

In the grand scheme of things, I wonder how unsafe they really are?

Millions of them put into service for over 60 years with many millions of rounds fired and a failure rate that is a fraction of 1%?

I've owned over 200 Remington rifles with those trigger and never had a problem. Considering the number of rifles with those triggers and the number of rounds fired from those rifles, I'm probably overdue for an accidental discharge.

All I know is that back in the 90's we were on the KD range at Camp Ripley doing a rifle class for the St Paul CIRT team snipers and some guys from Moose Lake prison.

One guy's 700 would fire at least half the time when you flipped from safe to fire. It was repeatable. I don't know what the department did with the rifle, but I do know that, considering LE are part of the small shooting population that would (and should) be finger fugging the safety with it pointed at someone they may or may not intend to shoot, it was not confidence instilling. It was taken off the line after we confirmed the officer was not lying.

It was a brand new rifle. Yes, the officer "adjusted" the trigger. No, he didn't remove any parts or stone any parts, he only messed with screws.

YMMV, but any trigger that can be "set" to fire when the safety is moved from safe to fire isn't something I want on a rifle, even if it's a super rare tolerance stacking anomally.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
quote = 260 remguy

" In the grand scheme of things, I wonder how unsafe they really are?

Millions of them put into service for over 60 years with many millions of rounds fired and a failure rate that is a fraction of 1%? "
--------------------------

YES SIR ! Since 1960........2020, I'm in the 99 percentile ! Nary a problem one !

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/12/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goalie
They sowed to the wind with their POS Walker trigger and reaped the whirlwind... screw them.

Eleven 700s in my safe, every single one except the 223 has a walker trigger..... and that’s exactly what’s getting ready to go in it as well. Not a thing wrong with that trigger.

You disagree with Mike Walker, who in a sworn affidavit stated he begged Remington to dis-use the trigger. And yes, I've read the documents first-hand.

Guess you know more...

In the grand scheme of things, I wonder how unsafe they really are?

Millions of them put into service for over 60 years with many millions of rounds fired and a failure rate that is a fraction of 1%?

I've owned over 200 Remington rifles with those trigger and never had a problem. Considering the number of rifles with those triggers and the number of rounds fired from those rifles, I'm probably overdue for an accidental discharge.

All I know is that back in the 90's we were on the KD range at Camp Ripley doing a rifle class for the St Paul CIRT team snipers and some guys from Moose Lake prison.

One guy's 700 would fire at least half the time when you flipped from safe to fire. It was repeatable. I don't know what the department did with the rifle, but I do know that, considering LE are part of the small shooting population that would (and should) be finger fugging the safety with it pointed at someone they may or may not intend to shoot, it was not confidence instilling. It was taken off the line after we confirmed the officer was not lying.

It was a brand new rifle. Yes, the officer "adjusted" the trigger. No, he didn't remove any parts or stone any parts, he only messed with screws.

YMMV, but any trigger that can be "set" to fire when the safety is moved from safe to fire isn't something I want on a rifle, even if it's a super rare tolerance stacking anomally.

If Remington 700 series triggers scare you, you are wise to avoid them.

I have never had or seen a Remington trigger fire when the safety was released, but safeties are mechanical devices that can fail.

Bearrr264 would never let anyone hunt with him if the person was using a rifle with DSTs or an exposed hammer. He had seen more than a couple of accidental discharges from rifles so equipped and didn't want them around him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have never had or seen a Remington trigger fire when the safety was released, but safeties are mechanical devices that can fail.

Bearrr264 would never let anyone hunt with him if the had a rifle with DSTs or an exposed hammer. He had seen more than a couple of accidental discharges from rifles so equipped and didn't want them around him.

They don't scare me, but I've never owned one since maybe two weeks after that class.

Unlike you, I have seen it. And it wasn't a one-off, it was repeatable.

Funny thing is, everyone thought the cop was full of it, until we realized he wasn't. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think he was lying when he popped one off before targets were hot. Everyone thought it was on operator error ND, not a mechanical ND.

That said, hundreds of 700s through dozens of classes were fine until that one wasn't, and I never saw it happen again.

Sometimes, once is enough.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen them where if you closed the bolt too hard it would fire, and one if you banged on the side of the rifle it would fire. Because people who didn't know what they were doing "adjusted" them.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Guess you know more...

I'm not aware Mike Walker said any such thing. I'd sure like to see or hear that.

On the other hand Mike Walker did say it was a good trigger.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goalie

Bearrr264 would never let anyone hunt with him if the had a rifle with DSTs or an exposed hammer. He had seen more than a couple of accidental discharges from rifles so equipped and didn't want them around him.

They don't scare me, but I've never owned one since maybe two weeks after that class.

Unlike you, I have seen it. And it wasn't a one-off, it was repeatable.

Funny thing is, everyone thought the cop was full of it, until we realized he wasn't. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think he was lying when he popped one off before targets were hot. Everyone thought it was on operator error ND, not a mechanical ND.

That said, hundreds of 700s through dozens of classes were fine until that one wasn't, and I never saw it happen again.

Sometimes, once is enough.

Like I said, an error rate that is a fraction of 1%, Maybe the police officer did more than turn screws and was embarrassed to admit it. The fact that it was repeatable on that one rifle suggests to me that there was something wrong with that particular rifle. Maybe a factory error, maybe an after-market error, no way to know without being able to inspect the rifle in question.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Remington's demise had nothing to do with triggers or even particularly bad management. It had everything to do with the Italian holding company Cerberus bleeding Remington dry, and a series of dumbshceit Italian CEO's who didn't have clue about the American firearms market.

I'm a free market guy, but what Cerberus did in conjunction with another foreign company should be criminal.

Even the NY Times acknowledged it......

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/01/magazine/remington-guns-jobs-huntsville.html

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Remington's demise had nothing to do with triggers or even particularly bad management. It had everything to do with the Italian holding company Cerberus bleeding Remington dry, and a series of dumbshceit Italian CEO's who didn't have clue about the American firearms market.

I'm a free market guy, but what Cerberus did in conjunction with another foreign company should be criminal.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/01/magazine/remington-guns-jobs-huntsville.html

Cerberus isn't Italian. It was good ole Americans who screwed over Remington.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Guess you know more...

I'm not aware Mike Walker said any such thing. I'd sure like to see or hear that.

On the other hand Mike Walker did say it was a good trigger.

Not in deposition he didn’t...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You can drive the market, like Ruger has done to a great degree with the American Rifle series, or you can react to what others are doing. Remington has done a lot of reacting.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
An example of investment groups creating wealth for themselves by eliminating real wealth in the form of the manufacture of a tangible product. There was nothing "free market" about anything that happened with Remington.
By the way, I've seen dozens of rifles (Remingtons and others) which would fire when the safety was released and I know the cause. Hint: it isn't the goddam connector.
There have been some big changes in the firearms industry and in marketing models over the last forty years and it is, to a great extent, these changes which have caused so many firearms related companies to fold. Of course, one must also factor in the retirement of the managers of the 1960's and 1970's. It was in the early '80's that marketing really started to change. Some companies were able to adapt and some were not. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
An example of investment groups creating wealth for themselves by eliminating real wealth in the form of the manufacture of a tangible product. There was nothing "free market" about anything that happened with Remington.
By the way, I've seen dozens of rifles (Remingtons and others) which would fire when the safety was released and I know the cause. Hint: it isn't the goddam connector.
There have been some big changes in the firearms industry and in marketing models over the last forty years and it is, to a great extent, these changes which have caused so many firearms related companies to fold. Of course, one must also factor in the retirement of the managers of the 1960's and 1970's. It was in the early '80's that marketing really started to change. Some companies were able to adapt and some were not. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Oh, by the way, the OP's rifle is simply exhibiting the total lack of primary extraction which has come standard on every recent 700 I've seen. GD

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don’t how much truth there is to it but I heard it’ll probably be a year or better before you see any “new” Remington guns of any kind on the market. Hate to see happen but I worked for the investment company that owned them and I can see why it happened. Always had a soft spot for the Remington brand .

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K

Guess you know more...

You have 28k posts on a forum.....having a 28k post count does not make one an authority on the subject. There are an awful
lot of people who haven’t had an ounce of issue with a properly tuned walker trigger. Over many years and many thousands of rounds. First hand experience I might add not ; something that was read. ......If a target trigger is what you desire maybe you are better served by a different system....but for someone just wanting a nice hunting weight trigger. I find them awfully hard to beat.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Guess you know more...

Read all you want but having having 28k posts does not make one an authority on the subject. There are an awful
lot of people who haven’t had an ounce of issue with a properly tuned walker trigger. Over many years and many thousands of rounds. If a target trigger is what you desire maybe you are better served by a different system....but for someone just wanting a nice hunting weight trigger. I find them awfully hard to beat.

I think they’re good triggers as well and you’re right, the majority didn’t have problems, but as others have mentioned SOME of them were very unsafe. The Walker designed trigger was awesome right up until it wasn’t and there are plenty that are still out there behaving. I just wouldn’t wanna get the one that isn’t.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think you can blame the investment company whether it be Freedom Arms Group or Cerberus or whoever.

Remington has had 2 good designs in the past 100 years, the 870 and the 700 which is basically a pipe nipple barrel into a female pipe nipple receiver.

All the 710's and other turd imports/ budget guns are best left at the bottom of the river.

they got into bed with the Wal-Marts of the world and had to continually canibalize their quality to hit price points. The last 3 model 7's I owned would slice your fingers loading rounds in the mag box, one had non-concentric muzzle threading, and all of their "matte black" finishes were gray, cheap, and fragile

All their cartridges were mis-marketed. Think if the 260 remington had half the following of the 6.5 Creemoor? Remington could survive just on the ammo... It's the same damn round!!!

the best part of a Remington Ultra Mag is the name. They seem like a better cartridge after you have had some RUM.

I think Like Winchester, they will be back. Probably better, probably move out of New York to a state that likes employers and businesses, they are welcome to come to Texas, we got land to spare.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

True, but the Remington haters on here would have to take the blinders off before they could understand that. Remington did have some QC problems, ALL companies do at some point in time. I read all these posts about how someone bought a "cheap" Remington 700 from Walmart, and it ain't nothing but junk, should have been thrown in the junk pile. Well, I've got two 700's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. One is a rifle that retails for around $1200, the other I paid $400 for it at Walmart, and both are equally accurate.

I both own, and have currently owned a goodly number of Remington firearms. I hate to see them go under and hope that they resurface, and resume making guns again.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A quick thought on the 870. They've made 10 or 11 MILLION of them. There are only so many buyers out there.
They are so rugged there really will never be a shortage of 870's till we start hunting with plasma guns, 30 watt range.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 54 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,663
Posts18,534,077
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.