-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No. She could have been "mine" as a drunken one night stand back in my younger days, however.

The horse belongs to me, but not the hound.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Our season finished up the end of November and now we are well into the with drawl syndromes. For us Northern Alberta is release sites with Southern Alberta being a combination of release sites and wild birds (surviving birds that made it through the winter and moved onto private land). We did one pheasant festival (Stettler) and I took a hosted of different people that had never hunted to preserves for their first try on pheasants. They are now hooked and will be active hunters next year so adding newbies is nice.

First pic is Oct in Northern Alb, 2nd and 3rd are hunts towards the end of Nov in the South

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As part of the release program they put out a number of melanistic pheasants across the province and we were lucky enough to get one (quite a large bird). Very distinct coloring -- greens, blacks, blues --- but a very weak tail. I was able to get the feathers out to a number of people that tie fly's so this bird will keep giving enjoyment back to the sporting community for sometime.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now onto planning for trips for next year.

Hugh
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Very cool pictures! Neat report. That bottom one with the black is super cool!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We had a super trip on Saturday. We've been going out in the evenings but decided to try a morning, not knowing whether we'd find the pheasants home or not. A dark morning, some heavy frost, and little wind, and 12 of us took 35 roosters. Our place is a tough hunt for 4-6 guys; much easier for 1-2, and for 10 and up. Anyway, a limit of pheasants is a very successful trip for wild birds in December, weather has really been our friend this year. The hatch, the grass, and now the deep fall have combined to make for very successful trips and frequently done to boot. Hundreds of roosters and lots of season left.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The dogs and I checked our list over on Sunday and found that we could go back out, so we did. A quick limit for us and back to the fireplace. Brrrr.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
BK, what loads are u using for these late hunts.. My pheasant hunting days are pretty well over, but just incase.. Great stories and photos..

Molon Labe
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"And the beat goes on...."

Nice.....

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD

The dogs and I checked our list over on Sunday and found that we could go back out, so we did. A quick limit for us and back to the fireplace. Brrrr.

5 layers???? Yea Brrrrrr!!!!!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sure great going back through this thread to see all the various country, involvement with kids, great looking dogs and shotguns. Puts a fall trip through Montana and South Dakota higher up on my bucket list. Nice job on the field pictures as well .

Hugh
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I started to reply to you guys, and the day got away from me yesterday. It was darn cold on Sunday. The wind was raw.

Short answer: ounce of #6's at 1220 is plenty, year round. No need for more than just regular Hi-Brass shells, and frankly, field loads, as long as they have good hard shot, are perfectly effective.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I started to reply to you guys, and the day got away from me yesterday. It was darn cold on Sunday. The wind was raw.

Short answer: ounce of #6's at 1220 is plenty, year round. No need for more than just regular Hi-Brass shells, and frankly, field loads, as long as they have good hard shot, are perfectly effective.

Based on your current experience, what brands float to the top for field use ?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I only shoot 16ga.

I have been shooting Kent this year and I like them. I have had good success with Federal Game Loads. If I could find a case of Winchester Upland some place, I'd think I'd died and went to heaven.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only shoot 16ga.

I have been shooting Kent this year and I like them. I have had good success with Federal Game Loads. If I could find a case of Winchester Upland some place, I'd think I'd died and went to heaven.

BK,

Are you typically using #6 and #4 shot on Ringnecks?

My Japan Sweet 16 landed last week. I scored a case of Fed Highbrass game loads #6’s. #4’s were elusive at the time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😎🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Nice shotgun. I love mine. Is yours a 26" barrel? I switch between a Belgium Sweet 16, VR **; a Citori and a Miroku Sweet 16, although I do have some more 16's in the safe. The Miroku gun has gotten the most field time this year. I admit to coveting a buddy's new kinetic A5 Sweet Sixteen. I might have to pick one up.

I just shoot sixes mainly. I do have some fives on hand, see other posts. I do not shoot #4 at pheasants, although many do. I think they're less effective at real world ranges, and they're much more dangerous to others in the field. Until they start making tiny kevlar vests for pheasants, I don't think there's anything to be gained with them. And lots to lose if there's an accident.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you....28” on the 16g barrel.

I have a few humpbacks. A Miroku Light 12, Belgium Light 12, and a Mag 20g. I was missing a 16g for a lot of years until now.

Appreciate the information on shot size. Friday I’m going out with the 16 to see how I do with it.

Kinetic A5...Are you liking it due to less weight? I haven’t touched one. Sorta thought the A5 was just a newer version of the A500. I owned one of those for 3 seconds many years ago. Grins

😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I thought it felt quite light, sub 6 lbs. I'm interested in the performance on the other end as well. The DS choke tubes are of interest. I do think the Miroku is heavier than it needs to be.

Ive never met a Browning shotgun that didn't work for me. Can't say that for all shotguns. I owned an A500 for a year. I moved on from it because I thought I needed a 101. The 101 was a disaster. Nice shotgun but my cheek took a real beating from it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought it felt quite light, sub 6 lbs. I'm interested in the performance on the other end as well. The DS choke tubes are of interest. I do think the Miroku is heavier than it needs to be.

Ive never met a Browning shotgun that didn't work for me. Can't say that for all shotguns. I owned an A500 for a year. I moved on from it because I thought I needed a 101. The 101 was a disaster. Nice shotgun but my cheek took a real beating from it.

Laffin...I’ve owned several “disasters” as well. All stack barrels. I can’t shot an O/U worth a hoot. Too bad - many were such beautiful shotguns.

The Benelli M2 20g has become a favorite. Lightning fast to shoulder and feathers light to carry. I’m a fan.
😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No birds were harmed in the making of these photos.
This was the most visibility I got that day. Hard to see with that stinging, blowing snow in your eyes even when the clouds finally blew away.

Damn it was cold and miserable. My time would have been better spent at the bar. Oh well.
Tomorrow will be yet another attempt. Wind looks to be better, but a high of -10. Boy oh boy....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As to those temps— that’s when the sorrows out weigh the joys...😉🙂

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Damn it was cold and miserable. My time would have been better spent at the bar. Oh well.
Tomorrow will be yet another attempt. Wind looks to be better, but a high of -10. Boy oh boy....

You obviously have the heart for it....Well done...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
No birds were harmed in the making of these photos.
This was the most visibility I got that day. Hard to see with that stinging, blowing snow in your eyes even when the clouds finally blew away.

Don't your nads get in the way while walking? Though in those temps they're probably nestled against your diaphragm.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,827
Posts18,477,918
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.