-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's no doubt that tennis/golfers elbow is extremely disruptive, if you use your hand(s) for anything. In my case, two years ago I just had it for 5 months before listening to my wife. I'd ice and rest it, refrain from using it, and then re-injure it. My wife had been after me to try this miracle flex bar exercise. Stubborn as I am, I wasn't going to have it, The saint that she is, she'd still massage my arm when at its worst. Finally, after doing my own research and watching the video, I ordered the red bar from amazon. I used it less than directed, but used it. After about three weeks of sporadically doing the exercises approximately as taught in youtube videos, the pain just seemed to fade away.

Tarkio, your post made me smile. My wife often refers to me as the Veterinarian. I grew up on a farm with live stock and have an unflappable streak of farmer's self reliance. My approach to personal health care is unavoidably influenced by this.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
I've had both "tennis elbow" and "golfers elbow" and this therapy and the corresponding one for GE was a godsend. I was skeptical at first, but it worked for me. Amazon sells the red flex bar. I hope this helps you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971639/

[video:youtube]we4UoiKG3Co[/video]

My daughter had achilles tendonitis last year and used similar type exercises (eccentric) along with ultra-sound to cure it. I would definitely try this flex bar before I went under the knife.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rob Jordan

I have seen this method used and it works, my Chiropracter showed us this....

Take a teaspoon, put some lubricant (baby oil) or similiar lube on your forearm and use the spoon to stretch the tendon from your elbow to your wrist, start with gentle strokes, using full strokes from the elbow to the wrist.
It will be painful as you begin to stretch it out, your tendonitis is caused by the tendon shortening from repetitive use, causing pain where it joins on your elbow.

I know it works as my son did it several years ago, and my pal just last week and it works.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got the elbow working commercial construction. I immediately went to a neoprene wrap because I needed the job. That kept me together so I could keep working until it was time for my winter job.
One thing I learned is, never miss with the hammer or it hurts like crazy. Something about stopping the swing must be unnatural. So I changed my swing, closed it up a little bit.
Got through the winter inside the wrap and I was fine the next two years until I changed careers.
I will say, if you have elbow and knee issues, wrapping those babies even though you don't think you'll need it, really makes a difference.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hydrocortizone(sp?) injection

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
stop the pujites...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I didn't read the thread but from my experience the only thing that works is time and resting it.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Swung a framing hammer too long and too hard over Thanksgiving. Ended up with tendinitis in my elbow (where a tendon inserts into the elbow on the outside of the arm). Been wearing one of those arm bands that you cinch up. Tried icing for awhile and got tired of that. Occasional ibuprofen. Have not swung a hammer or done anything physical (other than open doors, etc.) since I came down with it. Wondering if its time for a cortisone shot. Does a cortisone shot work for this? Any other remedies?

TIA,

Jordan

I had it several times, I was fixed up by two different Chiropractor's.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had it around ten years ago or so, it dragged on for a couple of years. I did all the conventional stuff--wearing that little brace/support thing for months, PT, stretching, ice/heat, steroid injections, etc. Nothing helped. Finally gave in and had the release surgery done. I've been pain-free ever since, I guess it's been 7-8 years and I'm able to do everything I want, including light weight, high-rep dumbbell exercises. Everyone is different, but surgery worked for me and if nothing else has worked for you, I'd recommend it.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Got it about ten years ago swinging a Kaiser blade at the hunting camp. Mine also took about a year to go away. Avoided anything that made it hurt and took Motrin.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
At the end of the day, rest is the only thing that 'cures' tendonitis. Have had quite a bit of it. For elbows, there is a great topical product, Voltarin. It is 1% dichlofenac. It is an anti-inflammatory drug like super-advil. Topically, it works very well where tendons are close to bone and the skin surface. I use it for my hands a lot. The great thing about it is the direct delivery -- no stomach issues. If you take OTC anti-inflammatory drugs regularly, there is a price tag you will not like -- they run a harrow through your stomach. Topical Voltarin avoids this. I also have prescription Celebrex, which is more powerful than OTC drugs and less damaging to the stomach. I use it for 'special' occasions. It is folly to use drugs to enable yourself to do things you really need to rest from, modify, or quit doing. This is a long-running theme for me, and I preach what I have not yet achieved smile
Good luck, because tendonitis is really crippling, and hopefully temporary.

Also, ice is your friend.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Swung a framing hammer too long and too hard over Thanksgiving. Ended up with tendinitis in my elbow (where a tendon inserts into the elbow on the outside of the arm). Been wearing one of those arm bands that you cinch up. Tried icing for awhile and got tired of that. Occasional ibuprofen. Have not swung a hammer or done anything physical (other than open doors, etc.) since I came down with it. Wondering if its time for a cortisone shot. Does a cortisone shot work for this? Any other remedies?

TIA,

Jordan

The only thing I can add is do not give up. I had severe wrist injury from a motorcycle accident. The reduction required surgery and an external fixator for months. The wrist locked up totally. It took months of PT to just move a fraction of an inch. Eventually the wrist freed up a little but was so weak that I could not work with it. 15 years later I was processing firewood and just got tired of shielding the wrist. I grabbed and stacked firewood for a couple weekends with both wrists and the strength returned. The strength on the bad wrist is equal of the good wrist. This is unbelievable for a wrist that is missing most of one of the ball joints. A specialized micro surgeon can perform miracles in some cases.

Last edited by MM879; 12/15/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
theraband flexbar and time and rest from the activity that brought the te to you.yeah during the time being advil and ice.
good luck,
big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rob jordan

What alias is he using now?? Lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The only cure is a surgical release pioneered by Doctor Losee from Ennis, Montana. The tendon has to be scraped away from the bone where it attaches to the elbow. It will naturally re-attach and when it is all healed, you can start all over irritating it...

Not true. I did away with it through focused exercises 2 coming weeks. I was instructed by a PT to work though the pain. If I feel it coming back a couple days of exercises for about 15 minutes does away with it. Sometimes a little rest does it. It has not been debilitating since the original incident.

OP, there has got to be a couple thousand videos on Youtube that can help.

Last edited by smarquez; 12/15/20.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by ironbender
Find a doc/naturopath/therapist that uses ultrasound. It works wonders.

Are you icing via the dixie cup method?

And, have someone that uses a hammer *A LOT* to watch how you swing. You may be doing this to yourself with bad form.

This. And don't use more hammer than you can swing. A 22oz Estwing is for MANLY men, a 28oz Estwing is for retards. The 14oz Dewalt Migweld hammer is the best I've tried. Arm speed makes up for mass.

Yep, wood handles are better for me. Once I went to a Ruger 14oz titanium no more issues

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tennis+elbow+brace+for+tendonitis+for+men&crid=1JJ9W83Y6N246&sprefix=tennis+elbow%2Caps%2C285&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-da-p_4_12

Buy a tennis elbow brace. Works great!

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Good luck. I was helping my BIL frame a house when I was 33 (44 years ago) and he loaned me one of his 22 oz. framing hammers. I could drive nails faster but I wasn't used to a hammer that heavy. The next day I woke up with tennis elbow and just holding bare a cup of coffee was extremely painful. I tried wearing the elbow warp and therapy but neither helped. I got one cortisone shot into the joint and it worked for about 2 weeks. The Doc told me not to use my right hand even to shake hands but I had to use both hands at work. It took 10 years for my tennis elbow to heal up completely. Today there are probably all kind or remedies for tennis elbow that will work.

Last edited by victoro; 12/15/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roy???

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 82 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.