Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I know four guys who had and got rid of their 7mags. They were not impressed with its performance. On the other hand they all had great respect for my 300win. Opinions vary but results of our small group was unanimous. Good luck with your purchase. Edk

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've only taken a deer, a black bear, and a coyote (target of opportunity, just happened to be the gun I had in my hands) so that's not much experience compared to a lot of guys here. I haven't been able to get enthused about the 7 mag ( or 7mms in general) had one and got rid of it. Hated to do it too because it was a very nice rifle. Have a 280 I used for several years but I keep it because it shoots quite well and I like the rifle itself. I think the 280 can do anything the 7 mag can despite the ballistic numbers. It is close enough in numbers and performance to the 270/'06/280 that to me it's not much of an upgrade.
Therefore another vote for the 300

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300 everyday, all day. My flavor is a Model 70 300 H&H with 180gr TTSX's.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30-06 with 150 grain TTSX. Will do anything you need it to except maybe Brown Bear. Then I’d just go to a 180 grain.

Edited to add that the difference between a 7 Rem mag and a 30-06 is insignificant. The 300 Win Mag just adds more recoil. Inside of 350 - 400 yards you won’t see any difference between the 3. And that includes real or imagined.

Last edited by JBabcock; 12/15/20. Reason: See above.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a 300 WM and I love it. I can load it down to an 06 or +p it for the brown bear I'll never get a chance to hunt. Most days it just just stays an 06+p and gets used to go elk hunting. Any day, it can go to the range and shoot a 3/4" or less group. Just a plain old Win xpr that's ben magnaported (just wear in ear hearing enhancement/protection).

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 300 H&H is loaded in between 30-06 and max 300 H&H levels. I deliberately chose a load that was 100 fps slower. 2905 vs 3015.

I also have a 165 GMX load pushing 3200fps. Bu I chose the 180gr load for Africa. I used the same 180gr load on a mule deer. Needless to say it worked.

If I was to ever use it specifically for deer size game, I would load up some 165's. That bullet would have probably worked just as well in Africa and the mule deer.

Last edited by CRS; 12/15/20.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot any of em’ in the chest with either a .300 mag or a 7 mag and you’re gonna have a dead animal. The animal ain’t gonna tell any difference between the two.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot both.. Both are good, but I still like the.30 better!!

Molon Labe
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Our current elk camp/cohorts used to be heavy on the 7mm Rem Mag, .270 WSM, .270, and 30-06. I think there is only one guy who still shoots a 7mm Rem Mag for elk. .300 magnums dominate the gun rack these days. I tote the .300 Weatherby on all elk hunts in the Rockies. I understand that there are a slew of other cartridges that will get the job done, but nothing else has equaled its performance for me. I could give a chit if the other guys track wounded game all over hell’s half acre. I prefer the DRT that the .300 Weatherby has produced for me. It’s heavy with a Kahles scope but I’d rather pack a heavier rifle than a bull out of some hell hole a half mile from where I shot him. Ymmv and I respect that. BFN

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Esox357
Im leaning towards a 300 win mag. But have limited experience with a 7mag. Curious if anyone notices more bloodshot meat with one or the other?
That's more the function of the bullet than the caliber. Some bullets are made to mushroom faster and they'll cause more bloodshot, especially if it hits a big bone. I've shot a lot of elk with Nosler AB's and they'll splatter pretty bad sometimes. Even just hitting a rib will cause bloodshot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most would rate .300win/200 NP rather highly,
I wouldn't rate 7RM/175 AF lesser for 'in target'
performance- considering AF superior
weight retention and sectional density.
MV/BC of both being neck and neck.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im leaning towards a 300 win mag. But have limited experience with a 7mag. Curious if anyone notices more bloodshot meat with one or the other?

No, but that I think that is in large part because I use similar type bullets in them at similar velocities.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Think a 300 win mag is calling me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What would you chooses for elk, sheep, and moose? I'm leaning towards the .300 win mag but open to suggestions. Im looking at a winchester or weatherby vanguard meateater series. Any other rifles you would suggest?

Look, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but . . .

I agree with the guys who say "Try before you buy." I'm also with the guys who say "Try a 30-06."

Yes, there might be a reason why a 300 Win Mag or a 7 Rem Mag might make sense down the road, but you could get nearly all the way there with an '06 and 165 grainers. The reasons I suggest this are as follows: Most of the too-much-gun scenarios I've seen have included these two chamberings. They're also MUCH more expensive to shoot. I've shot them, and I'm a big guy, but they both punish my shoulder more than I like.

" But I might want to . . ." Honestly, most guys who buy hard recoiling rifles tend to leave them in the closet. The ones that give them good performance at reasonable recoil levels tend to be used a lot. Buy for what you know you're going to hunt now and you'll probably find that it's enough for later. If not, you'll know better what you need.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

No, but that I think that is in large part because I use similar type bullets in them at similar velocities.
I like long, heavy for caliber bullets in both of em’. No difference in terminal effects with either of em’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
What would you chooses for elk, sheep, and moose? I'm leaning towards the .300 win mag but open to suggestions. Im looking at a winchester or weatherby vanguard meateater series. Any other rifles you would suggest?

I agree with the guys who say "Try before you buy." I'm also with the guys who say "Try a 30-06."

Yes, there might be a reason why a 300 Win Mag or a 7 Rem Mag might make sense down the road, but you could get nearly all the way there with an '06 and 165 grainers. The reasons I suggest this are as follows: Most of the too-much-gun scenarios I've seen have included these two chamberings. They're also MUCH more expensive to shoot. I've shot them, and I'm a big guy, but they both punish my shoulder more than I like.

" But I might want to . . ." Honestly, most guys who buy hard recoiling rifles tend to leave them in the closet. The ones that give them good performance at reasonable recoil levels tend to be used a lot. Buy for what you know you're going to hunt now and you'll probably find that it's enough for later. If not, you'll know better what you need.

Good point. I agree with what your saying. I'm lucky to get to hunt elk every year now. I have yet to connect on one in my 3 years of hunting them. I see them every season, but have taken a shot. I have a 308 win. and usually is my go to for hunting. I run a 165 btsp or 155 Scenar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never have hunted elk but for me it would be hard to pass on using that 308.

Load a mono 150 or shoot a 165 Partition/Accubond.

No reason any of these wouldn't work to 400 yards.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/16/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Owned a 300wm and my current 7 is a 7-08 so for me it would be 7RM.

I never found the 300 to be all that much more/great than a 30-06 appropriately loaded. Much as others here have said the 7RM isn't much more than the 280 (makes sense right?)

There really isn't a 30 cal bulled that gets me super excited these days and I'm sitting on a couple hundred 162 AM's - I'd end up 7RM if I HAD to have a mag of some sort between what you list.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shaman

The 300 WSM is very close to the 300 WM. I used one for years and shot a lot of elk with it, almost all 1 shot kills DRT. The farthest I ever tracked one was 50 yds ( a dead elk sliding down a mountainside in snow doesn't count as tracking). Then one day I realized that there wasn't a single elk I'd killed with the 300 that I couldn't have shot just as easily with a 30-06 that weighs a pound less. Pounds add up as fast as my years have. So, I switched back to the old '06. I use 165 gr AB's and the elk killing results have been exactly the same since I did. The elk fall down with 1 shot, never going anywhere.
The 300's will reach out farther, but in all these years, the longest shot I've ever needed to take was 350 yds. I'm not a fan of long range wounding. You never hear about those, now do you? You only heard about the ones that die. I wonder why? When the elk is 500 yds away, I've never found it impossible to get closer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks guys. Think a 300 win mag is calling me.

I LIKE mine and have had 4 or 5 others in the past.

If the recoil is manageable for you.....it'll work.
** Note ** In 'similar' rifles the 300 WILL have more recoil.

I won't lug around a 'heavy' rile even for deer hunting. My T3X SS Lite 7 RM with scope weighs 6 (SIX) oz more than
my T3 Lite SS 270.
My Black Shadow 300 weighs a little more than a pound than the 7 RM. I CAN tell the diff in recol.

I REALLY like both rounds. THEY will work.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,871
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.