-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am once again looking for advice, tips, and recommendations on an Alaskan fishing trip. I am wanting to fish for salmon (definitely kings) but also the other species. Also would like to catch some halibut. Would love for some of you to share your experiences and even pics and good lodges to stay at. I am looking at taking my grandfather and my dad. It would be a memorable experience . Thanks in advance!

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yakutat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the nush still has catchable numbers.

https://fishthenush.com/fishing-packages/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've realized several things -

1. I'll likely never move to AK and live there - too tied down here and not many jobs I can find for a guy like me
2. I still want to visit
3. My dream would be to fly to AK - rod and reel included and find a town where I can rent a car/truck and fish on my own with a reasonable chance of success. I don't want to bounce all over AK looking for 90 species of fish - just 1 town, 1 truck and a week of fishing like I do here. On my own, not super concerned about what I catch.
4. I have no idea what town would best meet that criteria

So - TLDR - tag

Me

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Teal
I've realized several things -

1. I'll likely never move to AK and live there - too tied down here and not many jobs I can find for a guy like me
2. I still want to visit
3. My dream would be to fly to AK - rod and reel included and find a town where I can rent a car/truck and fish on my own with a reasonable chance of success. I don't want to bounce all over AK looking for 90 species of fish - just 1 town, 1 truck and a week of fishing like I do here. On my own, not super concerned about what I catch.
4. I have no idea what town would best meet that criteria

So - TLDR - tag

The Northwest Territories and Yukon might be interesting places to explore for such an adventure. Not easy, but fun for the well prepared. Of course soon you will probably need to have a vaccine passport or something.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
not super concerned about what I catch.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
GBL in Yakutat.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
My last Alaska fishing trip was to Yakutat and while the kings were not running we did great on the other salmon as well as halibut out in the bay. The only problem bay fishing was the stupid dog sharks grabbing just about anything you put down for bait. The place we stayed was like a rustic Air BNB and it had inside fish cleaning station, vacuum pack equipment and freezers for us to use. The owner ran a commercial fishing boat during the days while we headed to the river in our rusted out Dodge van. Tnhis is the bear/fisherman trail we hiking in on each day to get back up the river. We did share it with bears several times but that just lets you know you aren't in Kansas anymore Toto!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Nushagak or the Yak.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm no expert on fishing Alaska, only been there once, but I really enjoyed a combo trip (Salmon, halibut, cod) out of Miller's Landing in Seward.

The small fishing boat held 6 anglers and the captain/fishing guide. I think it cost about 450 bucks total for the day trip including license and tips.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Kings weren't running, but the Silvers were sure fun to catch not to mention the halibut.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

ps - might want to post this in the Alaska branch

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember watching shows on TV in the 60's or so about guys catching grayling and char like crazy while wading in shallow rivers. Is that sort of thing still possible?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,895
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.