S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks ,
Just returned from a WT hunt in PA .
3 of us in camp and 2 scored , yes I’m odd man out this trip .
Perhaps I’ll be lucky next week down in Southern NJ .

I checked out the No1 when I got home and its got 1” rings for sure . As luck would have it I found an older Leupold 2x7x ?? , maybe 36 . Had it on my .308 Sako Finnwolf .
Clear as new , gloss finish with a few marks on tube . What the heck I mounted and bore sighted it . I’ve loaded up some Nosler 55 Varmagdedon Bullets , and I’m going to see how things go before I buy a new scope and rings . Rifle is in nice shape and no marks on the metal . Ran a patch down the bore with a little Rem Oil and it was clean and shinny . Oh yes although I did not use a scale on the trigger it’s really sweet . It could have been worked on or an aftermarket job .
I want this rifle to shoot,but I’ve got to keep in mind it’s a 131 prefix so the barrel may be from Jack Meoffs garage !!
I’ll just wait for a nice day after I get a buck , to take her to the range .

I’m open to all suggestions and information any of y’all want to pass along .

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Semper Fi,
Soup

GB1

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
PROBLEM ,
I mounted and bore sighted the scope . Looked great on 2X , when I went to 4x or 6x I lost my focus . I would have to climb way up on the stock to get clear focus . Does Ruger or Leupold or anyone make special rings to correct this issue or is it just me ?

I can use some help , to say the least . If I get a new scope it will be a 30mm tube . Pictures or info would be great .

Thank you in advance for your time help and consideration .

Soup

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have you tried adjusting the rear lens of the scope? You can turn this as it increases or reduces eye relief.

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve tried adjusting it but it didn’t make much difference.
Soup

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can get extension rings that will give you more eye relief. I have 7 #1 rifles and haven't had any problems with scope mounting. I just put a Vari X III 3.5X10X40 on a 300 H&H. Can you post a pic of what you have? Maybe that will help to see what your dealing with.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Soup. Another solution to your scope mounting issue is the Burris Ruger to Weaver adapter bases - part #410991. They attach to the rib and you can use any Weaver type ring of your choice. (I chose Burris Z rings.). No need for extension rings as the rear base extends back over the action - allowing for more latitude in positioning your scope. I did this one my son’s #1B .257 Roberts and it worked perfectly.
On my #1A 7x57, I have the Moulds bases that replace the rib and use Weaver type rings. They work great but I don’t believe they’re any longer available. So that’s not much help.🥴

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GSPfan
You can get extension rings that will give you more eye relief. I have 7 #1 rifles and haven't had any problems with scope mounting. I just put a Vari X III 3.5X10X40 on a 300 H&H. Can you post a pic of what you have? Maybe that will help to see what your dealing with.

Originally Posted by GSPfan

I always have to mount scopes far back because of my eyes...heres my #1 with the extension mount...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ingwe ,

This is what I need . Do you order them right from Ruger or aftermarket .
Since I'm going to put a Leupold 3.5x10X40 or a 4.5X14X40 , both which have 30mm tubes , I'll inquire now are these special rings available for 30MM tubes ?

I really appreciate all the help Campfire members have passed on to me . I feel like a sponge soaking up all the inside information .

Soup

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ruger makes 30mm rings.
Rings are sold individually.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/04/20.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used one at the back for my Vari X II 3-9X.
My neck doesn't stretch like it used to.
Am not gonna torture myself.
Extension at rear was way more comfy

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Soup
Ingwe ,

This is what I need . Do you order them right from Ruger or aftermarket .
Since I'm going to put a Leupold 3.5x10X40 or a 4.5X14X40 , both which have 30mm tubes , I'll inquire now are these special rings available for 30MM tubes ?

I really appreciate all the help Campfire members have passed on to me . I feel like a sponge soaking up all the inside information .

Soup

Check the link to Midway EdM posted or just go to their site..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You can buy them from the factory but not cheap. They are likely cheaper from BROWNELLS !

Last edited by Grasshopper; 12/07/20.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On a No. 1 B there are very few variable scopes that will set far enough back that you don't have to crawl the stock as the eye relief diminishes on higher power. I have tried both methods noted, the extended rings and the Weaver base that lets you set back. I put a 3-9x40 on mine and used Burris extended rings. It helped some but if I am wearing a heavy coat it is still not perfect. I finally just went with a 6x Leupold and it worked pretty well. I used it for coyotes and Whitetail.

95 gr. SST's for deer and coyotes with 4350 were great.

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents ,
Called Ruger today and ordered 2 of the extended rings
Very nice person and knowledgeable. She told me the
Web site for my No1 manufacturing date wouldn’t work as its too
old . She looked it up for me and said about 1977 or 1978
I’m not lucky so I’ve more than likely got a poor barrel
Time will tell
I should have asked her if Ruger would rebarrel it ?

Thanks to all for your time and help
Soup

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You don't know what ya got until you shoot it.
Even then, it might be picky on ammo.
Handloading usually helps a bunch.

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents ,
The rings came earlier today , just finished mounting them and the scope. Made very little improvement . Perhaps this VXII 2X7 îjust isn’t right for a No1 . I’ve got a VX3 I. 3.5 X 10 X 40 on a SAKO Finnwolf
Maybe I’ll put it on the No1 and buy a 4.5X14 for the Finnwolf
Soup

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"She looked it up for me and said about 1977 or 1978."

I told you so. whistle Seriously, shoot it first with several different bullet weights and see what the rifle tells you about what it likes or not. Then we can look into what it might take to fix it so its shoot good. One hint right off the bat. shooting from the bench keep the forearm's position on the bags/rest as consistent as possible. Best way yo do that is have the bag as close to the receiver as possible. When I shoot mine I have the receiver hard up against the rest which feels a tad weird until you get used to it. Remember, Ruger's accuracy standard for the #1 is 2" at either 50 or 100 yards, I forget which. Two inches at 100 is adequate for deer though I prefer 1.5" as absolute max size group for big game.
So, shoot that rifle a bit and see what it will do. Then we can figure out what may or may not fix any problems.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
W the vx1 2-7x and vx3 2.5-8x i would have needed an extension ring at each location.
Didnt care for the look.

Went w an older M8 4x of longer tube.
W one extension ring at rear location.

That on my RSI.

Same ring arrangement w Vari XII 3-9x on a B

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.