-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I remember in The Last Book, O’Connor made fun of his replacement a bit. I do not remember exactly, but something like a Tennessee hillbilly dressing like a cowboy. Do not know how thin skinned Jim C. is, but wondered if that is why he often took shots at the old 270. Probably just a loony like the rest of us too attached to be rational to his favorite 280 that the 270 blew away

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just had this conversation with a good friend.
The Winchester M51 Imperial S/N 1 is actually the World’s first factory produced 270 (chambered for the experimental 27 Cal). Winchester M54 S/N 4 (first three M54’s were chambered for the 30 GOV’T’06) was the World’s first factory produced 270 W.C.F. in 1925.

A Model 54 Winchester, serial No. 21, was said (by Winchester) to be the first 270 Winchester to go out of the Winchester plant. I took this to mean that any previous 270's went to Winchester staff. This one was sent to Ashley Haines who was, at that time, the gun writer for Outdoor Life. Haines lived in Salmon Arm B.C. I saw the rifle when his nephew brought it into the shop to see about getting a scope mounted on it. When I looked closely at it and noticed the serial number, which was engraved on the receiver ring, I told him I would not want to do anything with it because it seemed a little unusual. I gave him the address to contact Winchester and he did so. It was about a month later that he brought the letter he received from Winchester, to show me. He had no idea who his uncle had been, really, and was pleased to learn the rifles history. I believe Haines was his mother's brother. GD

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just had this conversation with a good friend.
The Winchester M51 Imperial S/N 1 is actually the World’s first factory produced 270 (chambered for the experimental 27 Cal). Winchester M54 S/N 4 (first three M54’s were chambered for the 30 GOV’T’06) was the World’s first factory produced 270 W.C.F. in 1925.

A Model 54 Winchester, serial No. 21, was said (by Winchester) to be the first 270 Winchester to go out of the Winchester plant. I took this to mean that any previous 270's went to Winchester staff. This one was sent to Ashley Haines who was, at that time, the gun writer for Outdoor Life. Haines lived in Salmon Arm B.C. I saw the rifle when his nephew brought it into the shop to see about getting a scope mounted on it. When I looked closely at it and noticed the serial number, which was engraved on the receiver ring, I told him I would not want to do anything with it because it seemed a little unusual. I gave him the address to contact Winchester and he did so. It was about a month later that he brought the letter he received from Winchester, to show me. He had no idea who his uncle had been, really, and was pleased to learn the rifles history. I believe Haines was his mother's brother. GD

Cool story!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, Mr. Charmichael could have made his way in the gun writing world by spewing "ya, what JOC said" and then we'd all think he was a wannabe sycophant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Well, Mr. Charmichael could have made his way in the gun writing world by spewing "ya, what JOC said" and then we'd all think he was a wannabe sycophant.

That's the flip side of the coin. He really had to establish his own identity and the quickest means to that end was to cheap shot the 270

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I don’t know the basis for Carmichel’s disdain for the .270. But if you’ve ever read The Compleat Just Jim, you know he’s a hell of an entertaining writer. He is also more knowledgeable about rifles than O’Connor. Sorry if that hurts some feelings, but it’s true. Bottom line is there was no need for Jim to “swim in O’Connor’s wake.” He made his own way very well and was a thoroughly worthy successor. This post is no derogation of Jack whatsoever. I have most of his books, as well as Carmichel’s, Keith’s, and many others. All informative and enjoyable.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well said wrongtime, not much performance differance between the 270 and 280. If a guy had to follow the JOC act why swim in his wake ? make your own wake and Carmichael did with the 280. With Jim we never had to hear about Eleanor ANY more and that was nice. I am not a 270 hater I have more than a few ,load them with H4831 and 130's of some type and go kill stuff pretty damn simple. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
Why .277 and not .280 or .275 etc.

Winchester for whatever reason, maybe because it's a truer 7mm, went with the Chinese 7mm .277 based on the 1907 Mauser that was adopted by China

So, it's Chinese and gay? No wonder I never liked it! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teeder

Winchester for whatever reason, maybe because it's a truer 7mm, went with the Chinese 7mm .277 based on the 1907 Mauser that was adopted by China

It's easy to hate greatness... cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by Teeder

It's easy to hate greatness... cool

Must be their inherent inferiority complex that drives it.

8>)

GR

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I grew up( like many here) scanning the magazine rack for the next Outdoor Life/ JOC issue.
Nobody reached me quite like he did but he seemed almost mythical to a young guy like myself.
Pretty tough to follow in this guy's tracks, and my interest in O.L. disapated when he moved on to Peterson's.
Jim seemed to be as good a replacement as any could be and glad he found his .280ishness but he might as well been talking about the .270, imo.
Both rounds are struck with the same hammer. Thankyou 30/03 for your help in this matter.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Lou_270
If I remember in The Last Book, O’Connor made fun of his replacement a bit. I do not remember exactly, but something like a Tennessee hillbilly dressing like a cowboy. Do not know how thin skinned Jim C. is, but wondered if that is why he often took shots at the old 270. Probably just a loony like the rest of us too attached to be rational to his favorite 280 that the 270 blew away

I’ve made a good living as a writer for 18 years. The only way to do that is to figure out how your work can make someone else rich. Even a bad writer who can do that will soon fatten his wallet.

Back then, writers tied themselves to a cartridge (Keith and the 44 Magnum, Cooper and the 45 ACP, O’Connor and the 270 Winchester) then promoted it and slagged anyone who disagreed. That sold a lot of magazines, which sold a lot of advertising, which made publishers rich, which came back to the writers in the form of paychecks, safaris on the company dime, and fame that the writer could use to create other forms of income.

O’Connor and Elmer Keith maintained a decades-long p*ssing contest on exactly that model. So did Skeeter Skelton (Shooting Times) and Bill Jordan (Guns & Ammo). O’Connor’s retirement was a huge loss for Outdoor Life because it put an end to that. The publishers probably encouraged their new and old shooting editors snipe at each other to keep the train rolling.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Lou_270

I’ve made a good living as a writer for 18 years. The only way to do that is to figure out how your work can make someone else rich. Even a bad writer who can do that will soon fatten his wallet.

Back then, writers tied themselves to a cartridge (Keith and the 44 Magnum, Cooper and the 45 ACP, O’Connor and the 270 Winchester) then promoted it and slagged anyone who disagreed. That sold a lot of magazines, which sold a lot of advertising, which made publishers rich, which came back to the writers in the form of paychecks, safaris on the company dime, and fame that the writer could use to create other forms of income.

O’Connor and Elmer Keith maintained a decades-long p*ssing contest on exactly that model. So did Skeeter Skelton (Shooting Times) and Bill Jordan (Guns & Ammo). O’Connor’s retirement was a huge loss for Outdoor Life because it put an end to that. The publishers probably encouraged their new and old shooting editors snipe at each other to keep the train rolling.

Okie John

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head regarding the whole O’Connor / Carmichael thing and it’s what I was thinking as I was reading through this thread.(Although you’ve stated it a lot better than I would have.) Back in those days there weren’t new calibers coming out monthly and stuff wasn’t as cheap, relative to people’s income and credit standings, as today. Today, sales are generated by hype and newness. At that time, it was controversy. You couldn’t go long without a .38 Special vs .45 Auto article, or .270 vs .30-06. One month an article would preach that the 12 gauge shotgun was good for everything. The next month, a 3” 20 gauge was all you needed. Spinning reels vs bait casting.... hell, one month one of the big magazines ran opposing viewpoints on whether it was better to stand in a boat and fish or remain seated. The idea was to keep the outdoorsman in a constant state of uncertainty and thus, buying more stuff to be able to do things right.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why .277"? Well my guess is someone at Winchester took a 30-03 and decided to make a 7MM bullet and mate the 2 together.

And yes, the 270 is real close to a true 7mm. .7" X .03937 = .27559.

The Brits called the 7X57 the 275 Rigby and in the early days it was the "276 Rigby Rimless". But the Brits often measure the bore and not the groove diameter so calling a 7mm a 275 or a 276 is correct if they want to designate it as a real 7MM.

Trivial information but it may answer some questions.

The answer causes a lot more questions however. Like; Why are 270s called 6.8MM when 6.8 MM is not even very close to .277? ( It's .267")

Why are our Service round called 5.56 and 7.62? 5.56 MM = .2188, not .224, and 7.62MM =.2999" not .308"

And how much Guinness was consumed by Mr Jeffery in his tool room the day he named the 404 Jeffery? (.423"groove .415 bore)

Last edited by szihn; 12/17/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just for my own curiosity I took a 1 time fired WW 30-06 and measured it at 2.492" lubed it up and ran it thru the 270 win size die. It came out at 2.503". 2.54" is max col for the 270 and trim length is 2.530" for the 270. I am thinking they used the 30-06 basic straight wall hull and necked it down and it came out at 2.53"??? I remember reading these hulls were availible back then and were used when the 35 , 375 , 400 Whelens were developed. Any you remember that? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A friend recently sent me the July 1970 edition of "Outdoor Life". Jack O'Connor's SHOOTING article, "Another Look at the .270" covers a lot of ground and his opinion of why a mountain style, light sporter in 270 Winchester is an outstanding big game getter. I own two rifles in the caliber and have hunted with them a lot, killing several elk with 130 and 150 grain bullets quite effectively. Both rifles shoot lights out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife kills deer with one almost every year.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A long time ago and far, far away I recall reading that the .270 was developed as a rule beater. Mexico, after dealing with revolutions and bandits, outlawed civilian possession of military caliber rifles, even sporting arms. This excluded border crossing with 7 x 57 and 30-06 sporters for desert bighorn and coues deer hunting. Hence the .270 which offered similar performance but would not rub the hair of Mexican officials the wrong way.

Don't know if there was any factual basis and I cannot remember where I read it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by szihn
Why .277"? Well my guess is someone at Winchester took a 30-03 and decided to make a 7MM bullet and mate the 2 together.

And yes, the 270 is real close to a true 7mm. .7" X .03937 = .27559.

The Brits called the 7X57 the 275 Rigby and in the early days it was the "276 Rigby Rimless". But the Brits often measure the bore and not the groove diameter so calling a 7mm a 275 or a 276 is correct if they want to designate it as a real 7MM.

Trivial information but it may answer some questions.

The answer causes a lot more questions however. Like; Why are 270s called 6.8MM when 6.8 MM is not even very close to .277? ( It's .267")

Why are our Service round called 5.56 and 7.62? 5.56 MM = .2188, not .224, and 7.62MM =.2999" not .308"

And how much Guinness was consumed by Mr Jeffery in his tool room the day he named the 404 Jeffery? (.423"groove .415 bore)

I believe you answered the question before you asked it.
"... measure the bore and not the groove diameter ..."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another theory is that Winchester split the difference between 25 & 30 caliber which is 7mm but vetoed that due to post war disdain of any metric and 7mm in particular.

Agree that Carmichael knew more about guns than O'Conner, they were both favorites.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, AceBall, achlupsa, Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,968
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.