Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by OldHat
Would have been cool to be born about 1730. Experience the French and Indian wars. Also, it would have been amazing to experience Kentucky before it got all full of Kentuckians. The tales say it was a hunters paradise before the Cumberland Gap stuff.

Unless you got captured and tortured to death by the Indians. Or got a toothache. Or appendicitis. Or...or...

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think it would have been ideal to have been born around 1930 resulting in being about 15 at the end of world war II. From there I would have been ahead of the population bubble of boomers and enjoy a life of buying cheap housing, real estate, and most types of investing, always being ahead of the wave of boomers needs driving prices up.

I would have been old enough to have been an adult during the 50's and 60's to have enjoyed the golden era of western mule deer hunting, as well as the horse power race of OHV V-8 engine cars, and
fast and easy women from the era after the pill but before aids.

If a guy was born in 1930 and still alive today, he would be 90. Old enough to enjoy his grand children growing up and starting their older families before leaving behind the world and technology.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

VarmitGuy, I lived the 50s and 60s hunting big mule deer and Elk in N.W. Colorado, I always wonder why hunters today call a Mule Deer, with a 30" spread a Monster or a Hog??

In the 50s & 60s our standard was 40" and above, my brother in law and me were talking about some of the bucks we killed back then a couple of day's ago, One buck we both shot at and I got was 43 1/2" inside spread with 11 points on 1 side and 13 points on the other side. He shot first and missed over his back I shot and dropped him, BIL e-mailed picture of the buck, he's still Pissed he missed and I didn't. Rio7

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Being part of the Lewis and Clark expedition would have been epic too!

Nah, I am not that fond of dog meat, gonorrhea, or syphilis.

They ate a lot more than dogs. The game was extremely plentiful, but the winter overs were hard.

200 years ago people weren't stupid. They knew sticking your pecker in the wrong place was not good. So not everyone had VD because not everyone had low character.

Life was hard, no doubt about it. Here is a great story on how Lewis was shot in the arse by his hunting partner because, well spectacles were in short supply in the wilderness.

https://www.lewis-clark.org/article/3011

Ya, life was more difficult. Life is more than avoiding risk. Any of us can die at any time for a whole host of modern reasons. Hell, degenerative diseases have sky rocketed in modern times. A whole host of aliments were much rarer then, like diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

Last edited by OldHat; 12/18/20.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Would have been cool to be born about 1730. Experience the French and Indian wars. Also, it would have been amazing to experience Kentucky before it got all full of Kentuckians. The tales say it was a hunters paradise before the Cumberland Gap stuff.

Unless you got captured and tortured to death by the Indians. Or got a toothache. Or appendicitis. Or...or...

Obviously a lot of people lived through those times so it was not as bad as made out.

There must of have been something special to plant roots in early Kentucky else they would not have flooded in.

I can tell not many people have read the INCREDIBLE hunting stories of the pre settlement Bluegrass state. Even the Indians traveled there for the spectacular hunting.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
BTW - Danial Boone lived to be in his 80s. Still hunting in his old age. He left Kentucky because he valued the freedom of the unsettled country.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
TheLastLemming76: For the Mule Deer Hunting I would loved to have been a Hunter in the 1940's and early 1950's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Montana must have been different than Idaho. The depression left big game nearly extinct in Idaho. Dad and Uncles tell me that mule deer were just starting to recover in the early 50s. In this area we had generous seasons and two deer limits of either sex during the 60s.

My family ran cattle on USFS lands west of Cascade Id. They were in a great position to be aware of game populations. They first saw elk again in that area during the 60s. By the 90s elk population was booming in Idaho. Then the idiot leftists released the Canadian Grey Wolves into our herds.

By the time the early 1990s arrived big game all across the US were decimated, except Alaska.

No game laws and unrestricted subsistence hunting with better rifles will do that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I think it would have been ideal to have been born around 1930 resulting in being about 15 at the end of world war II. From there I would have been ahead of the population bubble of boomers and enjoy a life of buying cheap housing, real estate, and most types of investing, always being ahead of the wave of boomers needs driving prices up.

I would have been old enough to have been an adult during the 50's and 60's to have enjoyed the golden era of western mule deer hunting, as well as the horse power race of OHV V-8 engine cars, and

If a guy was born in 1930 and still alive today, he would be 90. Old enough to enjoy his grand children growing up and starting their older families before leaving behind the world and technology.

+10 this these folks had common sense and all attended various schools of hardknocks. You didn't see young guys walking around with their ball cap backwards, pants halfway down their ass either. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Right now. Even though the pioneer days and the World War II era seems fascinating to some, Like the song goes, you should of seen it in color. Might change your mind. Although it might be great to visit, wouldn't want to stay.

Last edited by Cretch; 12/18/20.

3825 24336
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

+10 this these folks had common sense and all attended various schools of hardknocks. You didn't see young guys walking around with their ball cap backwards, pants halfway down their ass either. Mb

That may have been OK if you were in a a Star Trek frozen pod for the first 20 years. You might want to do some research on how hard it was to live through the depression, then WWII. The few years after WWII weren’t without their time of scarcity either.

When you consider how the depression had no silver lining, WWII was a life of rations and no luxuries, I would bet by the time you were 20, you would wish you were born then and not sooner.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wouldn't necessarily want to have lived back 300 years ago but I would like to be teleported back to around that time just to spread the word that the country would be much better off in the long run if they would just pick their own cotton.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In the 1820s when my ancestors first came to tx, I would really like to have meet some of them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
In a time where there was justice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 19352012
Right now. Life wasn't worth living until we got the 6.5 Creedmoor.
More importantly I wouldn't have wanted to be stuck with nothing but muzzleloaders. Life wasn't worth living without breech loading repeaters.

Amen. Screw muzzleloaders

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Born just as the WW2 ended, and I have lived thru the best of times as a youth in my early teens. Hunted and fished myself to death starting at about 10. Can remember that first Daisy pump BB gun with that crooked stock....wore it out then on Christmas got a new one. Then at about 11 or 12 my cousin and hunting partner started to like the girls and every thing changed....had to do it all by myself for a couple years. That would put it at about 58 or 60....the best years of my life. Before the segregation set in, LBJ, space launch, '58-'60 cars, catching 8 lb bass off the bed, priming sand lugs, wood burning stoves, killing 8-10 hogs every winter, Mama giving me a bath outside in a tin tub that the sun had heated the water, helping her hang the clothes on the line, my first hamburger cooked over Daddy's home made charcoal pit, riding my first bicycle down a rain slick highway and going over the handle bars and busting my head open, getting on the school bus with my fingers taped up with black tape by Daddy because I would not quit biting the fingernails, playing "spin the bottle" at my first girlfriends house and got that first kiss. Made the high school basketball team 1st string and 4 years of being top scorer, lost the county championship on a last second shot that haunts me to this day. Oh, those were the days. Everything changed after high school and really started down hill since then....been some good times and good years but will always be the best of times when I was many years younger. Can't regain those years...just relieve the memories till I die.

O.B.Wallace
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You'd have been swept up into Korea.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Federalist period

1795 up to about 1830-ish.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Perfect just now!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Back before they outsourced everything.

From about the 30's to the 90's.

When the rebuilders, machinists, smiths....both tin and black...repair men....back when they were working.

Tradesmen and women.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Anytime after antibiotics works for me.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.