Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I strongly suspect that the vast majority of living in the old times was hardscrabble, boring repetition with little opportunity for recreation.

Everybody hears about the adventuresome aspects of the old days, but nobody bothers to mention the endless days spent behind a mule trying to keep yourself fed.

Until fairly recently, life for the common folk was a constant struggle for survival. Anybody who wants to live like they did back then can buy a secluded patch of land in Appalachia, a mule, a milk cow, build a log cabin and get after it.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s virtually impossible to live like they did in the olden days. Non payment of property tax will find your garden, your mule, your milk cow and your log cabin being confiscated by the government.

Our place up north is a rare find considering that water, power, sewer are offered while NO property tax is levied and no building codes or permits are required. It’s one of the last places in this country where a man isn’t a slave to taxes and you can do what you want on your property.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by szihn

We Germans have a saying:
Too soon old. Too late smart"

The American version is "To bad youth is wasted on the young".

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I strongly suspect that the vast majority of living in the old times was hardscrabble, boring repetition with little opportunity for recreation.

Everybody hears about the adventuresome aspects of the old days, but nobody bothers to mention the endless days spent behind a mule trying to keep yourself fed.

Until fairly recently, life for the common folk was a constant struggle for survival. Anybody who wants to live like they did back then can buy a secluded patch of land in Appalachia, a mule, a milk cow, build a log cabin and get after it.

Not everyone were farmers. There were a lot of adventurers. The American continent was a free land with a free people and many, many men lived that way.

Actually a lot of people today are going back to self reliance. Wise, but very different.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was fortunate to be a kid through the 50's and early 60's in a state with good hunting and sparse population. I can't think of a better time or place, ever.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by BobMt

really good read......thanks....bob

Glad you found it interesting. My great aunt Elsie, the younger sister of Essie, came to help out when my mom died in 1968, and my youngest brother was 10. They both looked remarkably alike. I attended my Great Uncle Guy's funeral in Vici when I was just a youngster. Would have been 1958, as she mentions in the last paragraph.

That was a GREAT read! How tough and stoic they were and what faith! I read some parts to my wife but I especially pointed out that almost every hardship they endured was NOT met by doubting ones faith but rather it was survived by the blessings of the Almighty.

Thanks for sharing that OrangeOkie. You come from good, hardy stock Sir. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by OldHat

Not everyone were farmers. There were a lot of adventurers. The American continent was a free land with a free people and many, many men lived that way.

Actually a lot of people today are going back to self reliance. Wise, but very different.

You didn't have to be a farmer to need to eat.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Land, cotton, tobacco speculation. Slave, cattle, horse, liquor, and merchandise smuggling!!! There are fortunes to be made I tell you!!

😉😉😉

Last edited by kaywoodie; 12/18/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Grocery stores have made America fat, diabetic and grossly prone to heart disease, and our endless free time has produced a nation hedonists. We are a miserable excuse of a country exactly because we have enormous luxury.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I think it would have been ideal to have been born around 1930 resulting in being about 15 at the end of world war II. From there I would have been ahead of the population bubble of boomers and enjoy a life of buying cheap housing, real estate, and most types of investing, always being ahead of the wave of boomers needs driving prices up.

I would have been old enough to have been an adult during the 50's and 60's to have enjoyed the golden era of western mule deer hunting, as well as the horse power race of OHV V-8 engine cars, and
fast and easy women from the era after the pill but before aids.

If a guy was born in 1930 and still alive today, he would be 90. Old enough to enjoy his grand children growing up and starting their older families before leaving behind the world and technology.

You'd have been swept up into Korea.

If I was born in 1930 I would probably had a 100% chance of being drafted during the conflict, but during the cold war not all draftees were sent to the hot spots. There were duty stations such as Germany or Japan. But would surviving the Korea conflict era and being ahead of the wave of boomers, have more advantages than surviving the Vietnam era and being caught inside the boomer wave?

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Being part of the Lewis and Clark expedition would have been epic too!

Nah, I am not that fond of dog meat, gonorrhea, or syphilis.

Life was hard, no doubt about it. Here is a great story on how Lewis was shot in the arse by his hunting partner because, well spectacles were in short supply in the wilderness.

https://www.lewis-clark.org/article/3011

Ya, life was more difficult. Life is more than avoiding risk. Any of us can die at any time for a whole host of modern reasons. Hell, degenerative diseases have sky rocketed in modern times. A whole host of aliments were much rarer then, like diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

Diabetes, no not very prevalent when one is working 14 hour days at hard physical labor trying to scrape together enough food to live through the winter.

Heart disease, remember "hardening of the arteries"? Otherwise hard working folks got lots of exercise and stayed lean, which promotes heart health.

Cancer: with an average life expectancy of about 45 years, most folks were dead before cancer showed up. And in many cases cancer went undetected. Folks just died and got buried.

While newborn and infant deaths do skew the stats a little. Still a 16 year old can expect to live almost twenty years longer today than in 1900.

For anyone who wishes to give up their air conditioned work space and trade it for a few days following a draft horse with a walking plow at 110 degrees, I can show them how to make that happen.

STDs, yes there was a reason that 13 year old virgin girls demanded exorbitant prices as brides.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can't complain too much about my lot. The second half of the twentieth century was a pretty fine time to be alive. I really think, around the mid-sixties or so, we, as a society, made some wrong turns and today, we can't even see the right path; let alone walk it. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
History is nearly always cherry picked and romanticized and hauling water gets old in a big hurry.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Flying for the American "Eagle" squadron during the Battle of Britain in 1940. I would love to just sit in a Supermarine Spitfire...just once.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Being part of the Lewis and Clark expedition would have been epic too!

Nah, I am not that fond of dog meat, gonorrhea, or syphilis.

Life was hard, no doubt about it. Here is a great story on how Lewis was shot in the arse by his hunting partner because, well spectacles were in short supply in the wilderness.

https://www.lewis-clark.org/article/3011

Ya, life was more difficult. Life is more than avoiding risk. Any of us can die at any time for a whole host of modern reasons. Hell, degenerative diseases have sky rocketed in modern times. A whole host of aliments were much rarer then, like diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

Diabetes, no not very prevalent when one is working 14 hour days at hard physical labor trying to scrape together enough food to live through the winter.

Heart disease, remember "hardening of the arteries"? Otherwise hard working folks got lots of exercise and stayed lean, which promotes heart health.

Cancer: with an average life expectancy of about 45 years, most folks were dead before cancer showed up. And in many cases cancer went undetected. Folks just died and got buried.

While newborn and infant deaths do skew the stats a little. Still a 16 year old can expect to live almost twenty years longer today than in 1900.

For anyone who wishes to give up their air conditioned work space and trade it for a few days following a draft horse with a walking plow at 110 degrees, I can show them how to make that happen.

ZTDz, yes there was a reason that 13 year old ivirgin girls demanded exorbitant prices as brides. L

Well they ate over 400 dogs on the Corps of Discovery! (But they didn’t eat Seaman!) 🤣

If you made it past 12 years of age the chances were pretty good you’d live a while longer. One thing a lot of folks forget is loss of teeth also had a bearing on diet. Especially in those elderly survivors. Oh yeah, bad tooth can kill you as dead as Julius Caesar from a myriad of complications.

Eat up! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by kaywoodie; 12/18/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

ZTDz, yes there was a reason that 13 year old ivirgin girls demanded exorbitant prices as brides. L

Cancer rates are higher now not simply because of immunosenescence. Modern life has increased our exposure to mutagens.

Quality of life matters.

People had life choices they could make 200 years ago just as they do today.

Perversion?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Grocery stores have made America fat, diabetic and grossly prone to heart disease, and our endless free time has produced a nation hedonists. We are a miserable excuse of a country exactly because we have enormous luxury.

Yeah, and Canadians are in lockstep.
We were raised to stay tough and a soft environment makes soft people. A good life is a tougher one, imo. Geez, I would just like to go back to the 1960's.
We still herded bovine with the Equine. Now- it is a motorsport

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Let us face it good folks we all have it pretty well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Right here, right now.

As Charles Dickens said, “ It was the worst of times, it was the best of times “.

This is going to get really interesting and I think pretty soon.

Jmo

I'm with Ol' Toot on this one. This time is important.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

If you made it past 12 years of age the chances were pretty good you’d live a while longer.

Eat up! 🤣🤣🤣

Very true. All you have to do is go walk around a few old cemeteries and pay attention to the dates on the head stones to see that child death played a huge part in lowering the average lifespan. You'll also see that those who made it to adulthood and managed to not get killed in a war tended to live to a ripe old age.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.