Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wy0ming Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
What is the campfire consensus on the XD? There's some bad comments out there on the internet about the XD, but that's true for most pistols on the market. I know some people don't like the grip safety - are there any other common issues? I ask because I have seen a few for sale locally and the price is appealing. I don't want to buy a bad gun just because it's cheap, though.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I have limited experience with them, as I am a Glock fan. However, I once shot the XD and a G17 side by side. I shot the XD better.

I started with Glocks and stayed with them. They are modular to me. I got a lot of holsters and mag pouches...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I’ve got the old original XDS in 45 ACP.... and love it. I’m also a big fan of the grip safety. It’s absolutely a non-issue in putting the gun into service! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have the original and the mod 2, both duty sized .45's and I like them a lot.
I shoot them infrequently so I can't give you a "torture tested" opinion about their durability, but they shoot well.
Triggers are smooth if not crisp, the guns are accurate and I think that they point well.
Grip safety has never been any sort of issue for me or any other XD shooters I've met.

Ive never noticed much difference between the standard and the "M" versions, but I haven't shot an M either.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like them. Have an xd40, and xdms in 9 & 10 mm. I actually prefer the grip shape of the xd, but the xdm capacity and sights make up for it. People have broken magazine base plates, but mine have been good. I dont make a habit of dropping them in the rocks though.

They are not as popular as glocks so don't have the same aftermarket support, which is probably the biggest downside. I dont have anything against glocks, just prefer the xd. Try one, you might like it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got an old XD9 that has had the schit beat out of it. Never burped. Never failed to feed. Any ammo. And accurate. About as close to bulletproof as anything I've ever owned. Ugly as hell, too. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i won an xd40 but just can't shoot it like i'd like to. too long of trigger stroke or something just does not agree with me. of course, i am primarily a SA revolver shooter so that has a lot to do with it. plus it seems heavy and clunky. my sons shield is much more to my liking.

My diploma is a DD214
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I don't like that you have to depress the grip safety to pull the slide to lock it back. Kinda clumsy until you get used to it. The very first ones were very rust prone, but they seem to have fixed that fairly quickly. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say about them.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
XD guns have never previously grabbed my attention, but I obtained an XDM 10mm recently, and am still getting used to it. Just under 200 rounds so far with no failures. Trigger pull is way better than any sproingy Gluck trigger I ever tried, and it seems as ruggedly built as a G20/G40. The grip safety goes unnoticed while shooting, but the trigger safety hurts my finger a bit. Parts inbound to attempt to mitigate this nuisance and get my brass to fall within the same county. For me, a non-Gluck 10mm with 15+1 capacity is worth spending effort to tune up. Hopefully, I'll end up liking and depending on it.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think they're very good guns with very good triggers.

I would never hesitate to snag one if I was in the market.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife & I had a couple of XD40s and my oldest son had an XD9 about the same time, all service size guns. They were all reliable and accurate enough for a service pistol. The feed geometry does not like semi wadcutters. Ergos are pretty good and not a bad pistol overall

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
W
wy0ming Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks everyone for the comments. When I'm ready to buy a full size handgun, it sounds like the XD could be a good choice if the price is right. I'm in no huge hurry to buy, since there's no ammo available anyways and I still have a lot of research to do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had an XD9 for years. Still my preferred pistol over my Glock 17 or Smith M&P
Shoots accurately and eats every load I have put thru it.
I recently put a Powder River Precision trigger kit in it, and while it helped smooth up the trigger a little, I wouldn't spend the money to do it again. Too little return on investment as far as I'm concerned.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Grip angle

Grip angle

Grip angle

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
W
wy0ming Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I've always wondered about ergonomics, especially grip angles - seems like the sort of thing a person can get used to if you just shoot enough.

I could go to a store and see how all the different guns feel in my hands (if the local stores had many guns in stock), but honestly I wouldn't really know how any of these guns are supposed to feel.

Last edited by douglasfir; 12/19/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by cwh2
Try one, you might like it.

I was always a Glock 10mm fan, until I shot your XD-M. That did it for me. The 5.25" XD-M has great sights, a better grip angle (IMO), and comes with three 15-round magazines. I've been very happy with it!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Out glocking glock is rather impressive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out-uglying glock is no small feat, either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All jokes aside, I just missed a good deal on a nice XD45 Service. The 45s are reported to be excellant shooters.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
number of years ago, had grandson out shooting, and he did exactly what i told him to be careful about.
was shooting a xd.
reloads, 200gr swc 231 powder.
he was banging them off as fast as he could pull trigger.
one was a light/squibb load, bullet stuck in barrel.
he fired again,kboom.
split barrel got his attention.
trip back to springfield, paid for a new barrel, no other damage other than flash marks inside of slide.
still working just fine today.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 12/29/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (AnthonyB, bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,287 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.