-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
On the 'I shot grandma' thread, I posted some pics of the teeth of a cow I shot for some opinions of her age. We could all learn something here. I reposted the photos below. How old do you think she is and why do you think that?

Please post some similar pics of your elk. The more we see, the better we can all get at aging them correctly. How about young and old ones?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bull I took this year, his teeth are getting aged in the lab.
Took a cow that is ancient, her teeth are going off to the lab also.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
On the 'I shot grandma' thread, I posted some pics of the teeth of a cow I shot for some opinions of her age. We could all learn something here. I reposted the photos below. How old do you think she is and why do you think that?

Please post some similar pics of your elk. The more we see, the better we can all get at aging them correctly. How about young and old ones?

I don't have a good grip on aging from teeth, but I am a bit surprised those ivories are not more worn down, for how old you think she is.
The older elk that I have shot over the years usually have ivories only 1/16 inch or so below the gumline and appear "flat" if that makes sense. They look like this:

This is what younger, but still mature elk ivories have looked like IME. They're more rounded and sticking out of the gumline by a full tooth width or so.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I don't have a good grip on aging from teeth, but I am a bit surprised those ivories are not more worn down, for how old you think she is.
The older elk that I have shot over the years usually have ivories only 1/16 inch or so below the gumline and appear "flat" if that makes sense. They look like this:
]

It’s my opinion as well based on the three bulls I’ve had aged. Ivory’s are worn to the gums on my 11 year old bull, and the teeth themselves weren’t far behind.

I’d guess that cow at 6-7.. but that’s a WAG.. could be older but really doubt she’s over 10.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
That cow is nowhere near old. It’s a fairly young cow, I’d wager 3-4 years old by the teeth.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by qwk
That cow is nowhere near old. It’s a fairly young cow, I’d wager 3-4 years old by the teeth.

I too was putting her at 3-4 when I saw them.
I shot one that was radio collared a few years ago, she had been captured about 6 years before and was an adult them. She had no front teeth and the rest were very worn and she was enormous. I figured 15-20 years old possibly. We ground almost all of her up.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I also believe she was a young cow, old cows are usually missing teeth, the ivorys, as are the molars are worn to the gum line. I have shot a couple they are usually very large and eat well, but I think they were nearing the end of their life cycle.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't aging an elk be similar to aging a beef cow? I agree, she is not all that old. Here's how you age a beef cow: "Determining the age of cows up to 5 years of age is simple and accurate: the animal has two permanent incisors at 2 years of age, four at 3 years of age, six at 4 years of age and a full mouth of eight permanent incisors at 5 years of age." If that holds for an elk, she is 5 I reckon.
Phil

Last edited by TenX; 12/18/20.
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by TenX
Wouldn't aging an elk be similar to aging a beef cow? I agree, she is not all that old. Here's how you age a beef cow: "Determining the age of cows up to 5 years of age is simple and accurate: the animal has two permanent incisors at 2 years of age, four at 3 years of age, six at 4 years of age and a full mouth of eight permanent incisors at 5 years of age." If that holds for an elk, she is 5 I reckon.
Phil

Not exactly with elk. As a yearling they have two permanent incisors. By the next fall, all incisors are permanent and aging is largely based on wear or flatness of those incisors. The elk is not old at all, . I can't remember replacement on molars but I believe a couple of those are also non permanent. Now the elk Wytex posted does have some age. I bet it's 15+.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.