Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Come on, Man!.. it was Ackley Improved.

No way a 6.5 Creed could keep up with that extra 80fps on a 160 yrd shot,... just know way.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff everyone, and yes Brad Charles Sheldon would have an opinion on this and modest 6.5's in general.

I've never said a mild 6.5 is quite the round of a 270, 280, 7RM or '06, yet the first requirement of any hunting round, is to penetrate, or all else is moot. I've seen enough penetration comparisons over the years among various rounds in say wet newspaper to feel confident the CM like the Swede with a 140 PT or similar is very comparable to many other common rounds used on Elk. The author's son, reading down the article when the Bull re-appeared was about 200 yds......that's something many hunters in the know, using even a 243, 250, or 6.5 Grendel would be comfortable taking. Now a frontal shot can be intimidating, but I drove a 150 PT from a 270 at a modest 2850 lengthwise thru a Mule Deer buck, so know what it can do, and feel a 140 PT in 6.5 would be quite similar.

I have not personally done it with a 6.5, but just felt that author was perhaps a bit happy with his Son's success, nothing wrong with their hunt and equipment used at all. Now had he said that a 6.5 with a soft 123 like an AMAX would not be appropriate, that I would agree with........

Casey that's a track record to be proud of, hunting and shooting. Reminds me of an article who's author took a nice bull with a 243 WSSM using an 85 Barnes IIRC. XBT as I recall.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
The obvious constant is to use the right bullet. You want penetration, use controlled expansion bullets. You want more explosive types, choose accordingly. This is the heart from the muley buck I killed a few days ago from 398 yds with a 6.5mm 139gr Scenar.......The exit was textbook quarter sized.

[[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The Creedjesus is never to be doubted. Ever.

Take that hyperbolic nonsense on a bike ride away from rational conversations.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yeah, a 280 shooting an ELD-X is soooo much more gun than a 6.5 whatever shooting a Partition.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well actually since the bull wasn't charging at 10' he had to come up with something else to dramatize it. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I knew this was a Von Benedikt article before i even clicked on it. Not sure who Aram is though. Typo?

I like his podcast and his writing, but... he can go to some pretty extreme lengths to justify a larger cartridge.
One of his podcasts, he was doing such to the .308, and why it’s not an “adequate backcountry cartridge”. The example he used was a .308 with an 18” barrel, comparing it to a .300wm with a .24” barrel...

Last edited by Iron_ghost; 12/18/20.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Aram is Joseph's Von Benedikt's twin brother. Really.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I’ve shot a lot of animals with 26, 27 and 28-cals. I cannot imagine a single shot I would take with a 160-class 7mm that I would not take with a 150-class .270 or 140-class 6.5mm.

There is just no possible way to tell the difference between the three if you have actually done it. Someone like the author may have a preference, but he has absolutely no physical evidence to back up any reasoning for it.

Pretty broad brush.

These Folks appear to kill a lot of game, and don't seem to have a dog in the fight, either, yet...

"...The 140 grain bullet is the most versatile bullet weight in the Swede. Hand loaded to between 2750 and 2800fps, this combination produces the best balance of wounding versus penetration. Nevertheless, regardless of high BC’s and SD’s, the Swede can be a slow killer at ranges beyond 200 yards. Conventional projectiles, regardless of SD, often fail to produce deep penetration. The 6.5x55 is simply not in the same class as the .270 which it is often compared to, regardless of hype."

So there may be more to it.

Would suspect, that at some point, the copper jacket to lead core ratio gets unfavorable for deep penetration.

... and that may likely be ~ the 6.5mm mark.

... or not.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The obvious constant is to use the right bullet. You want penetration, use controlled expansion bullets. You want more explosive types, choose accordingly. This is the heart from the muley buck I killed a few days ago from 398 yds with a 6.5mm 139gr Scenar.......The exit was textbook quarter sized.

I am really looking forward to loading the 139 Scenars in my 6.5 Creedmoor. Have a box sitting on my bench and a few pounds of H4350.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I am really looking forward to loading the 139 Scenars in my 6.5 Creedmoor. Have a box sitting on my bench and a few pounds of H4350.

But, but it’s a target bullet...

Ha! Bet that deer never knew.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Guess he never read about Karomojo Bell killing elephants with a 6.5x54

And more interesting to me was Charles Sheldon.

I've learned something new today, I was aware he mostly used 7x57 and later some sort of British .33 caliber, but did not know about 6.5, very interesting.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Having a pair of 243's shooting 100g NPt's that have accounted for 14 elk between them, I can assure the author that the Creedmoor will probably do just fine--when using a stout hunting bullet anyway.......

And no, most of those elk killed with the 243's were not standing broadside patiently waiting to be shot.

No offense intended, but it sounds like you subscribe to the theory of “If the minimum wasn’t good enough, it wouldn’t be the minimum”. Happy Trails

Or....the real life difference between the performance and results on elk between the 243, 257, 270, or 7mm Partitions I have shot and witnessed elk shot with.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WAM

No offense intended, but it sounds like you subscribe to the theory of “If the minimum wasn’t good enough, it wouldn’t be the minimum”. Happy Trails

What means this?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Straydog,

Bell actually preferred his customized 6.5x54 to his 7x57 for elephants, because of it's very light weight, which helped when running after a herd.. But at the time the Austrian ammunition for the 6.5x54 often split cases when fired, and was otherwise unreliable. He went back to using the 7x57/.275 because its ammunition was more reliable.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Well I suppose someone really could safari for elephant using a creedmoor, if they knew as well as Bell how to hit their small brain inside those big heads.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Having used the Eld-x in .308 (178gr on bear), .280ai (162gr on elk/deer) and 6.5cm (143gr on elk)... Other than extremely close shots with the .280ai (being rather explosive), every wound channel has looked almost identical between the three calibers and penetration has also been equal with none passing through yet though all making it to the off side of the chest cavity. I have not encountered heavy bone (only ribs) on any of the shots yet and all shots have been broadside. I would have no issues using a 6.5cm on elk/moose again assuming proper bullet selection and proper placement.

The one animal I have shot facing me was a bull elk slightly quartered (similar to the photo in the article mentioned) facing left and was downhill from me around 180yds. I opted for a neck shot using a 220gr Eld-x from a 300rum. The bullet passed right beside the spine and exited with very little expansion. Though he was DRT, I would think the same shot from a 6.5cm would have expanded more and produced greater spinal trauma.

Pitter Patter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Garandimal
I’ve shot a lot of animals with 26, 27 and 28-cals. I cannot imagine a single shot I would take with a 160-class 7mm that I would not take with a 150-class .270 or 140-class 6.5mm.

There is just no possible way to tell the difference between the three if you have actually done it. Someone like the author may have a preference, but he has absolutely no physical evidence to back up any reasoning for it.

Pretty broad brush.

These Folks appear to kill a lot of game, and don't seem to have a dog in the fight, either, yet...

"...The 140 grain bullet is the most versatile bullet weight in the Swede. Hand loaded to between 2750 and 2800fps, this combination produces the best balance of wounding versus penetration. Nevertheless, regardless of high BC’s and SD’s, the Swede can be a slow killer at ranges beyond 200 yards. Conventional projectiles, regardless of SD, often fail to produce deep penetration. The 6.5x55 is simply not in the same class as the .270 which it is often compared to, regardless of hype."

Would suspect, that at some point, the copper jacket to lead core ratio gets unfavorable for deep penetration.

... or not.

GR

It is a broad brush. But, over 50 elk, deer and antelope with the three calibers have shown wounds, wound channels and exits that look the same, large bones broken in the same manner, organs mushed up similarly and dead animals.

If you grabbed two dozen of those dead critters at random and five different guys to be there while you dissected each and dug out bullets (not many caught, to be honest) there isn’t a single one of those guys ... including our author above and your seemingly-neutral guys ... who would have been able to tell any penetration or damage difference or would have been able to say what killed what.

In all honesty, the most difficult kill I’ve ever made was also the most spectacular. It was an absolutely massive 6x6 bull elk with a hoof weight in excess of 900 lbs (very experienced game butcher estimate) that met his demise at the hands of a 125gr 6.5mm bullet at a range of 435 yards. Entered one shoulder, completely blew it apart, shrapnel and bone fragments and a still very solid projectile created a HUGE wound channel through the vitals before the remaining part of the bullet smashed through the entire opposite shoulder and exited, leaving a golf-ball-size hole on the other side. He literally hit the ground in his stomach and chest so hard that a big dust cloud flew up, and I watched it sift away in a very gentle wind.

I’d think an inspection of that bull by our author and your guys might conclude that bull was hit at 43 yards by a flat-brim Colorado boy shooting a .300 RUM. They couldn’t have been more wrong.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 12/18/20.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If these 243 and 6.5 cals are the key to massive penetration and quick kills why are we bothering with 30-06 200gr Partitions? What good is anything 338 or for thatbmatter 375 diameter when the 243 and 6.5 give the same results?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Pretty broad brush.

... or not.

GR

It is a broad brush. But, over 50 elk, deer and antelope with the three calibers have shown wounds, wound channels and exits that look the same, large bones broken in the same manner, organs mushed up similarly and dead animals.

If you grabbed two dozen of those dead critters at random and five different guys to be there while you dissected each and dug out bullets (not many caught, to be honest) there isn’t a single one of those guys ... including our author above and your seemingly-neutral guys ... who would have been able to tell any penetration or damage difference or would have been able to say what killed what.

In all honesty, the most difficult kill I’ve ever made was also the most spectacular. It was an absolutely massive 6x6 bull elk with a hoof weight in excess of 900 lbs (very experienced game butcher estimate) that met his demise at the hands of a 125gr 6.5mm bullet at a range of 435 yards. Entered one shoulder, completely blew it apart, shrapnel and bone fragments and a still very solid projectile created a HUGE wound channel through the vitals before the remaining part of the bullet smashed through the entire opposite shoulder and exited, leaving a golf-ball-size hole on the other side. He literally hit the ground in his stomach and chest so hard that a big dust cloud flew up, and I watched it sift away in a very gentle wind.

I’d think an inspection of that bull by our author and your guys might conclude that bull was hit at 43 yards by a flat-brim Colorado boy shooting a .300 RUM. They couldn’t have been more wrong.

My son and daughter both connected on mule deer at close range this year with 120gr GMX bullets out of a 6.5 Creed. Neither had a wound channel anything like what a 300 ultra will do to a deer.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 76 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,786
Posts18,496,009
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.