Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Practice practice practice. Spend more money on ammo than you paid for the weapon. Shoot it and shoot it often.
What ever your weapon of choice is. Know your firearm well......

At some point my hobbies became my life.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kk alaska
The 250 to 300 gr Keith style hard cast penetrates and kills well out of .44 Magnum. Shot about 300 plus testing them in the early 80,s now 35 years later I find I can shoot the 10 mm with greater accuracy and faster than my old 44 mag so I use it loaded with 220 gr hard cast, one 10MM may not stop something but it has 14 friends that are ready to help.

Shooting the 44 mag and the 10 side by side was quite revealing to me.

As what's been said before placement and penetration are what matters most.

Shot a lot of big halibut in the 80,s with my 44 HP bullets of that era would not penetrate the head but hard cast bullets would. Some going through water first the hard cast always would. A friend of mine did not believe me when I told him that he later told me you were right.

Shot several small skinned out Brown Bear bullet testing with hard cast bullets and most would penetrate through shoulder areas. 250 and 300 gr hard cast out of a 44 magnum.

Trust me you put the first 10mm where it needs to go its over. Don't put the first 44 in that same spot its not over. Simply stated the 10 has enough penetration. More power to those that have faith and can handle things like the 500 SW. We have one too. Its never our choice for bear/moose defense because its heavy. Hurts to shoot and if I have to deal with both of those I'll just grab my 458 or like rifle instead.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cluggins
6 rounds of 44 magnum with double action trigger pull or 15 rounds of 9 or 40 from a semi-auto? I'd venture a guess that 99 % of all shooters would be more effective with a 9 or 40 in a speed drill. I never got good with double action rapid fire from my Redhawk. I was okay with my P-95.

Capacity beyond 1 or 2 is seldom put to use. Chit happens fast.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Cluggins
6 rounds of 44 magnum with double action trigger pull or 15 rounds of 9 or 40 from a semi-auto? I'd venture a guess that 99 % of all shooters would be more effective with a 9 or 40 in a speed drill. I never got good with double action rapid fire from my Redhawk. I was okay with my P-95.

Capacity beyond 1 or 2 is seldom put to use. Chit happens fast.

This can be true. OTOH like altitude, more you have to spare the better you are. Its generally never a negative.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was hunting Moose and Bear in Alaska, I always had a 44 next to my pillow when we slept out on the tundra. And they were always loaded with hard cast bullets. Do some penetration tests and you will quickly see why.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
I'd go with a 300 grain flat point from BB, Grizzly or Underwood

Nicely said & iirc you’ve a lil time behind a wheel gun or three

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Whatever you choose make certain you load all six chambers of your 44 Mag there.. This way you can shoot at the bear five times then shoot yourself once.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Whatever you choose make certain you load all six chambers of your 44 Mag there.. This way you can shoot at the bear five times then shoot yourself once.

Why would I expect such an inane comment from someone that goes by "Grizz?"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I once shot a smith and Wesson " light" PDF? I think.

It hurt so bad , I think I would let bear eat me instead of shooting that thing again.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Oh fuqk you azz hole develop a sense of humor...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Oh fuqk you azz hole develop a sense of humor...

I have a great sense of humor...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You would have to. grin

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You would have to. grin

You need more than that for payback! wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You paid forward, I believes.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t feel under gunned with a 15rd 10mm that I shoot exceptionally well. I’m building some moving targets to simulate speed and more challenging shots.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I kinda wish Glock made stronger bear medicine than a 10mm. As I understand it the 10MM is semi close to a 41 mag, in hot cast loads like BB. Sure would be nice to have a magazine full of 13 plus rounds of something a bit stiffer for the bears. As it is I use a big wheelgun, but would feel way better with more than 6 rounds.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I kinda wish Glock made stronger bear medicine than a 10mm. As I understand it the 10MM is semi close to a 41 mag, in hot cast loads like BB. Sure would be nice to have a magazine full of 13 plus rounds of something a bit stiffer for the bears. As it is I use a big wheelgun, but would feel way better with more than 6 rounds.

Why do you think a Glock 10mm is undergunned?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dep curl 270 ....my go to hunting round 7.5. 10 , or 20 barrel....close the thread..... bring it on ..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve not fended off many bear charges, but I’ve recently become rather impressed with the cheap PRVI 300 grain jacket soft point. I’ve not been able to catch one in game or with 10 gallon milk jugs filled with water...for all I know they are still going.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Why do you think a Glock 10mm is undergunned?

Cause they dont make an 11MM? smile I had a big coastal brownie pop up right behind me while fishing well down the Alaskan Peninsula a couple years ago, and that experience is a motivator in my review of the options.

So, I've narrowed it down to a semi-auto, for magazine capacity and weight reasons, likely a Glock. As to caliber, bigger seems better for the big bears, but I am more than willing to listen to first hand advice on this, which is one reason I come to the fire!

Thanks in advance.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,585
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.