Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Our local shops used to consign for 10%. Lately some have moved up to 20%. Or you can go to cabelas and wait hours for them to offer you $75 fir your new in the box 700 adl 7mm-08 youth thats just like the one they have one their used rack for $799. Probably worth $300 but they want to give you $75 and try to get $800.

Bb

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's a tough deal. I've done that before and the widow thought her husband was a real gun enthusiast, and he did have a couple of nice guns, but many were just old guns he's probably had for 30-40 years, that I suggested she pass on to the grandkids. Not what she wanted to hear but I wanted to shoot straight with her.

I used to know a guy who worked for Cabelas gun shop (The Library) and he said they gave 70% of blue book. I'm not sure if that's the case. The market is pretty strong on handguns right now, so if there's any way I'd try to get her to sell them or pay for a table at the next gun show and you go and sell them for her. I think it's proper to have her go with, to make the final decision so she knows what all goes into the process. Anything sells at the right price, but you can pack guns back and forth to the car and the gun show if the prices aren't market. Part of that is just dealing with people.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I would also be interested in the list. A good way to sell them easy is a contact with the local gun range or Oregon Hunters Association or Friends of NRA comittee. They can email out to their group of.membera . Its a good way of getting it in front of the right people

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Not the right time of the year for it, but a flyer listing the guns with a phone number tacked up at the local rifle range can sell guns, if the range allows it.

Hell she could probably list them on the classifieds here and move them if she's willing to fool with shipping to FFLs.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Around here, consignment will cost you 20%

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
[quote=slumlord]lol

OP, You're not "helping", if you're telling him to go to the gun shop and sell it.

No, actually just the opposite. She is a very recent widow and she was planning to just go down to the gun store. I wanted to give her an honest idea of what she could lose by doing so, but I wanted to do more than just guess at what a gun store might offer.

Even more reason. Why waste her time and expose her to that insult? Like I said.

You're not "helping", if you're telling him to go to the gun shop and sell it.

There's no reason to send her down there in the first place. Period.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I worked for a local gun store in the 90’s; the Owner’s policy was to pay 80% of his estimated sale price. It was a good policy, it took the local market preferences in to account, allowed for price fluctuations for in-demand guns, and left a margin for negotiation (nobody paid tag price on a used gun). I want to think the consignment margin was 15%, but I can’t remember.

Last edited by El_CuCuy; 12/20/20.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I used to own part of a shop - depending on the gun - we'd offer $100 less than we thought we'd make off it. Small shop, successful, but not enough to live off. My 2 "partners" were' retired and had the time.

A widow, her daughter, and grand daughter brought in a bunch of guns after grand pa died - some treasures, some junk. She wanted to move them all.

Took the time to appraise each and made her an offer, I personally bought a rifle (for me - not the shop - paid for with my $$ ridiculously low, She know I'd appreciate and care for the gun, not just sell it and send it down the road.

It was interesting how many of the same guns rotate through a shop - especialy a small shop in a small town, and the same serial #'s return....

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A dear friend died a couple years ago and the family had far too many rifles to sell off.
We took them to the local gun shop that sold them on consignment and the shop kept 20%.
At first it seemed a bit high but he marketed them online and got top dollar for them, handled them shipped them and they were insured while being in his care.

What's you're rifle worth minus 20%?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
The biggest used gun dealer around here offers 60% of retail if buying outright, and 66% on trade.

Ready, Fire, Aim
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A LGS might be offering more these days as guns are selling pretty quick and they are looking for inventory, since new guns are hard to get. IMO this is the time to sell. LGS don't make much on new gun sales, it's the used guns and ammo where they make their money. I would expect that they'll want to make 30% at least on used guns. Find out the "blue book value" and if you can get 70% of that from the LGS, you've done real well. In times when the market is not as hot as it is right now, 50-60% of blue book is the most likely. If the LGS doesn't have much in their racks and you have nice conditioned desirable firearms, you can do ok for some quick cash and avoid the hassles. Whether selling thru Gunbroker, auction houses, or LGS, they are all going to take a cut.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
lol

The pawn stars “oh I want to give you a fair price, lemme call in an expert”

Pffft

Military town, bloodsucker pawn and gun

400 rem 700

Give the poor schmuck $100-$200 absolute tops

Put a $629 tag on it, dangle a “lay a way” plan out there

Maybe come off it the $29 or drop the sales tax if the buyer pays cash.

ll the while, it’s a 70% gun with a Simmons dorky 50mm scope on it

I've never seen a bargain gun at one of the pawn shops around Ft. Campbell. Especially these days. They'll rip the guy off who brings a gun in, and then turn around and rip the one off who eventually buys it.

As far as local gun shops go, there is one that I know of that would typically operate in 10-20% profit on guns they bought to resell and on consignment sales.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
50 to 60 percent

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
30 cents on the dollar. As I was told years ago, but that was Scheels.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just wish that everybody who thinks stores "rip people off" would go for the easy bucks and open a store themselves.

I have not worked in one for 20 years but even though the prices have changed, the business of business has not. Every day a gun sits in inventory, the store still has to pay out money for rent or mortgage, salaries, utilities, security service, insurance, bookkeeping, and the ever-growing list of taxes. Every cent of that has to be paid out of the "margin" between buying and selling a gun. Notice that I did not add "profit" to the list - because after that list of costs, there often isn't any.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Run of the mill gun shops usually give 30% on run of the mill guns.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog
A dear friend died a couple years ago and the family had far too many rifles to sell off.
We took them to the local gun shop that sold them on consignment and the shop kept 20%.
At first it seemed a bit high but he marketed them online and got top dollar for them, handled them shipped them and they were insured while being in his care.

What's you're rifle worth minus 20%?

20% on consignment is a fair deal if you have a local gun shop you can trust.
Pawn shops are outta the question, they are use to a much higher profit margin, nothing wrong with it, just the nature of their business. I'd be surprised if a pawn shop would offer more than 40 to 50 percent of the value on a bulk purchase.

Consignment is the way to go, if a gun store owner has to purchase and tie up his own funds of course he is going to have to go for a higher profit. I could see looking for 40% profit or more being fair on a purchase.
There might be some quick sale guns in the collection but there is likely a few that might sit on the shelf for a extended time.

How long do you want your funds tied up before you recognize a profit?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by okie john
50-60%.

Face-to-face with a private party will net the most for the seller. Then consignment, then trade, then outright sale.

Okie John

This^^^^

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Consignment well cost you 15 percent here!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by okie john
50-60%.

Face-to-face with a private party will net the most for the seller. Then consignment, then trade, then outright sale.

Okie John

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS....exactly

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,489
Posts18,490,354
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.