Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I’m always hearing about how good venison shanks are but haven’t ever tried them. Anyone have a good recipe they’d care to share?

I saved mine and was thinking I might make this as a treat over the holidays.

Thanks,

Efw

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't remember which one I've used previously but I just used a recipe off the internet with lots of red wine, broth and spices. It's hard to mess it up unless you don't cook it long enough.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The slow part seems to be the perfect place for a "Slow Cooker".

Anyone use one in their prep?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by LouisB
The slow part seems to be the perfect place for a "Slow Cooker".

Anyone use one in their prep?

That will work. For some stupid reason, I like the fond that develops on a Dutch oven in the oven. But it may be perception only. The crockpot will achieve similar results.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rinella’s recipe is pretty good. I usually serve with pasta instead of polenta out of laziness. Gremolata is important

Osso Bucco Recipe

There are a bunch of gremolata recipes, I like (approximated):
~1/2+ cup parsley chopped fine
-zest of 1 large lemon
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1tsp large grain salt (to taste)
1tsp fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)

Mix ingredients and serve fresh

Gremolata is an amazing condiment. Works great with cilantro instead of parsley. Can also add a finely chopped shallot. It’s a must for osso bucco

I’ve also done it in a pressure cooker. I think it took ~70 min with a natural release (elk shanks took longer than the online instructions for veal shanks). May need to reduce sauce a bit before serving

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We usually do shanks, not osso buco - brown up the shanks & go low & slow in the crock pot for 8+ hours with stock/wine/herbs & veges at the end.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Never had any complaints.

Lots of clean plates,

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hank Shaw has a good one: https://honest-food.net/osso-buco-recipe/ I also like to do them like Beef Bourguignon cook them down with the wine and vegetables and remove the vegetables & use to thicken stock after adding fresh sauteed vegetables and mushrooms simmered in butter. I will make a heavy gravy from the soft vegetables and wine stock and then serve over mash potatoes or rice. I also use shanks browned in the oven at 450 degrees to make stock or Aus Jus. Don't forget to try the marrow you will like it or not depending on the age and condition of the deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So tried again tonight in the pressure cooker. 75 minutes with a natural release is about right. I simmered off some excess liquid and served over polenta. Dynamite

Whatever you do, make gremolata. Italians know what’s up.
2/3 cup parsley chopped fine
2 cloves garlic chopped fine
1 lemon zested
1 tsp coarse salt
1 tap cracked black pepper

Mix ingredients together to make glory and sprinkle liberally on food

Ingredients prior to assembling:

W
W
Originally Posted by DBoston

This is my preferred recipe. Has proven reliable for elk, muleys, and lopes. I also suspect DBoston is right that approaching it like bouguignon would produce tasty results.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by efw
I’m always hearing about how good venison shanks are but haven’t ever tried them. Anyone have a good recipe they’d care to share?

I saved mine and was thinking I might make this as a treat over the holidays.

Thanks,

Efw

By coincidence, I made osso buco last night, and will heat it up again for dinner tonight. I make it several times a year. Of course I use veal shanks, though, not venison.

Anyway, you dredge the shanks in all purpose flour, then brown them on all sides in lard (or any cooking oil/fat you have). Set aside. Now finely dice a large onion, a large carrot stalk, and a large celery stalk and saute them in the same oiled pan for five or six minutes, till soft. Add in a couple of chopped or crushed garlic cloves along with the zest of one lemon (You'll need a zesting tool) and stir, cooking for an additional minute or two. Place all that into a dutch oven, along with a cup and a half of dry white wine, a couple cups of chicken broth, a small can of tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste, a few tablespoons of chopped Italian parsley, and stir. Add the browned shanks. If the liquid doesn't come to the very top of the shanks, add more water till it does. Bring to a boil on the stove top. When boiling, cover tightly, and place into the middle of a 350 degrees preheated oven. After an hour, turn the shanks over, cover, and place back in oven for another hour. Remove shanks to a covered corningware dish and place in warm oven with heat turned off, just to stay warm. Put the remaining contents of the dutch oven through a fine wire sieve, allowing the liquid to pass into a pot. Use a spatula to stir the contents of the sieve to encourage all the liquids to pass into the pot. When all the liquid is in the pot, discard the solids remaining in the sieve. Put the liquid into a fat separator and allow to sit for ten minutes, following which, pour the liquid back into the pot, leaving the fat in the separator to be discarded.

Reduce the liquid by half on the stove top at high heat, or until silky in texture, rather than liquidy. Test for salt, and add as needed. Plate the shanks with orzo cooked al dente, then pour the sauce over both.

This is one I made last winter. In this case, I could have reduced the sauce quite a bit more. It should be thicker than that. You can also thicken it with arrowroot or corn starch. In either case, you would put a teaspoon or two (depending on how thick you wanted it or how much liquid you had to thicken) of the powdered starch into a cup and add just enough white wine to liquefy it. Stir it up in the cup and pour into the sauce in the pot (make sure it's not boiling when you do). Stir it up good, then turn the heat to full till it boils. When it does, stir, turn heat off, and serve. It should be nice and silky smooth.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 1badf350, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,618
Posts18,511,861
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.