Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK, Here it goes.

I have just read 1st and 2nd Samuel. I'm not sure that I get "it".

Thousands were killed in battle. Men, women, and children. David has a heart for God. Then the "Bathsheba incident" and this takes "place" over all the carnage.

I don't get it. Maybe some of you who are brighter than I in these matters can help me. But it just doesn't make sense to me, where one (sex w/Bathsheba, though wrong) seems more important to God than Human Life. Am I missing something?

Prospector

"Every tub has to sit on its own bottom."

Prospector

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Good question. The reason all this had to take place is simply so we and anyone else who reads those two chapters would know God isn't to be taken lightly. Sure many died, but just think about how many people learned not to take God lightly, and thus stayed from sin. Before God choose the punishment He certainly knew the good that would result from it.

Psalms 19:1
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Prospector,
Yes you are missing something. It is not understanding the events you have read about. It is the conclusion that you wish to come to.

You are reasoning along these lines. "How can God justify himself to me." This is the stumbling block of all the ages. No man who approaches the scriptures will be able to reason this. Because that is not the question.

The question is "How can I be justified to God?" This is the only question the scriptures will adress.

You see, if you start in Genesis, you see that God spoke to the first man Adam, and gave Adam but one "thou shalt not". In giving Adam that one proabition he explained that disobediance would result in "death." Adam did in fact disobey God, and death has been passed to all men. Disobediance is the original sin, and is the basic deffinition of sin.

The Bible says this, "All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God."
again, "The wages of sin is death..."

So you see, death is certian, it is not a matter if all will die, but it is only a matter of when and how.

"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

How can man be justified with God? Through Jesus Christ.
This is the only question that God will reason with man.
"Come let us reason together saith the Lord, though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow."

GB

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,675
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.