Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
BeanMan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve been wondering what the prefatory phrase in 2A that says, “A well Regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,” means to people. I interpret it to be just an introduction to, “the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” and does not refer to the operation of any militia, government sponsored or otherwise.

Have at it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
The real issue comes from the 18th century meaning of well regulated. it meant skilled, not tightly controlled, but just try to educate the liberal twits of that.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The first part is not a restriction on the second part, it's just one example for the second part.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by mathman
The first part is not a restriction on the second part, it's just one example for the second part.

This,

It is an introductory clause that does not modify the meaning of the active clause.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A very low response thread - this will be .

ChipNdips/Barca Lounger/NFL/honey hand me another pepsi

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everybody knows what all that means. Some people just don' like it and want to change it is all. Those people should leave America.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I’ve been wondering what the prefatory phrase in 2A that says, “A well Regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,” means to people. I interpret it to be just an introduction to, “the right OF THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” and does not refer to the operation of any militia, government sponsored or otherwise.

Have at it.

You left out some important language that I added back in. The bill of rights imbues the PEOPLE (individuals) with freedoms. This is straight from a .gov site.

"The Bill of Rights is the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution. It spells out Americans’ rights in relation to their government. It guarantees civil rights and liberties to the individual..."

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
"Well regulated mililitia" specifically means every swinging dick is supposed to own a battle worthy firearm and appropriate ammo, know how to use it, and be ready to defend the nation or community from threat.

That need can not be met if "the right to bear arms" is infringed.

It is that simple!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In 1790, the militia was every able bodied man period. They wanted them regulated so as not to have a lynch mob. So each local militia had a local leader. Usually the sheriff.

The second part was that this local militia of able bodied men was to be well armed, the right to keep and bear arms.

George Washington knew this when he disbanded the army after getting our independence. He let all men take their guns home. This was done even until the Civil War. Even the confederates were allowed to take their own personal guns home for hunting and self defense by the union victors. Hollywood got this wrong. Guns weren't turned in. Even in WWII, the soldiers and sailors brought back Mausers, Lugars, P-38's, Japanese rifles, even Italian rifles. My dad said they wouldn't let them bring back machine guns unless they were rendered inoperable. He brought back a 9mm P-38. Many soldiers even brought back SKS's from Vietnam.

So yeah, it is an individual right for self defense and to keep the country free from tyranny. I think it is time to rise up with this cheating election. 13 million people in certain states and cities voted above the number of registered voters. (Ballots filled out by cheaters and scanned into the count in the middle of the night). Trump up by 400,000 votes in Pennsylvania and behind by morning, no way. Same with Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona. This stinks.

RESIST as Hillary Clinton said after Trump won, and boy did they. We should do the same.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
None of that matters. None of it. No right to bear will be infringed upon.

Congress has the power to tax.

You like your firearms, you can keep your firearms. End of story.
You like your ammo, you can keep your ammo. End of story.
Remember Obamacare and the scotus ruling?

Now. Pay attention.

On your future Treasury,IRS tax forms there will be questions concerning:

How many firearms do you own?
How many are long guns ?
How many are hand guns?

Your total = 15 of each.
Your Firearms Tax bill is:
200$/handgun = 3000$
100$/long gun = 1500$
Total Firearms Tax due = 4500$

If you elect the Firearms buyback plan please check this box

How many total for buyback?
How many handguns for buyback?
How many long guns for buyback?
You are credited for X$ to be deducted from your Firearms Tax Amount Due.

Lying to the IRS can have major penalties imposed. If Al Capone were still alive he could verify that,

This is how my people tell me that it will all come down and will eliminate any major confrontations as well as unnecessary bloodshed.

You can go ahead now and make your plans accordingly. It’s coming.

That should make everyone feel better and give sighs of relief to know that no one will be breaking your doors in for physical confiscation.

Courtesy of,
The Tootster

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I’ve been wondering what the prefatory phrase in 2A that says, “A well Regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,” means to people. I interpret it to be just an introduction to, “the right OF THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” and does not refer to the operation of any militia, government sponsored or otherwise.

Have at it.

You left out some important language that I added back in. The bill of rights imbues the PEOPLE (individuals) with freedoms. This is straight from a .gov site.

"The Bill of Rights is the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution. It spells out Americans’ rights in relation to their government. It guarantees civil rights and liberties to the individual..."

It is a list of thigs the govt. can not do. Without this list there would be no USA.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Now. Pay attention.

How many are long guns ?
How many are hand guns?

Your total = 15 of each.
200$/handgun = 3000$
100$/long gun = 1500$

Lying to the IRS can have major penalties imposed. If Al Capone were still alive he could verify that,

This is how my people tell me that it will all come down and will eliminate any major confrontations as well as unnecessary bloodshed.

That should make everyone feel better and give sighs of relief to know that no one will be breaking your doors in for physical confiscation.

Courtesy of,
The Tootster

Bump for us Patriots.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jdm953
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Have at it.

It is a list of thigs the govt. can not do. Without this list there would be no USA.

All well and good but the scotus can and will determine “the true meanings”.

And we’ll be obliged to obey those interpretations.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Maybe if we had lived and experienced life in those times we would have seen the word "militia" in a different context than today. Why did people live in somewhat clustered communities and villages, towns, around forts etc.? Since the arrival of Europeans, Indians were a constant threat.Americans had experienced the terror and brutality of the French and Indian War. Indians had a different outlook on theft, part of their culture, it was considered warrior like to steal...so, even in times of 'peace' every visit from our red brothers may not have started with murderous intent. But the Europeans strongly believed in protecting property, with violence. You can see how a simple theft of an item would escalate, with two different cultures and beliefs. Anyway, people banded together for common defense, lived in close proximity for convenience and defense. Any and every age able male was automatically assumed to be part of that defense for the common good. Look at the diaries of settlements like Boonesboro, it was commonly acknowledged that every able male was part of the common defense of the community. In those times, 'well regulated' probably consisted of every male on a list showing up at the tavern once a month, receiving a bar of lead and a gill of powder and an admonishment to listen for the call to arms from bell or drum in times of danger.
I think over a couple hundred years, the meaning has changed, militia now implies a more regimented, military oriented organization. Which is not valid.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I’ve been wondering what the prefatory phrase in 2A that says, “A well Regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,” means to people. I interpret it to be just an introduction to, “the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” and does not refer to the operation of any militia, government sponsored or otherwise.

Have at it.

There are only two possible interpretations of the militia clause. Firstly, it could have been offered as the justification for prohibiting the restriction of the people's right, in the sense of stating that since we need a well regulated militia (which could eventually pose a threat to liberty), the people need to be armed as a counter to it.

Alternatively, its purpose could have been to state the reason for the need for a generally armed population, since the definition of a militia is a force of men (regular citizens, not members of the military) who bring their own arms to muster in the service of restoring or maintaining peace in the face of violent threat from within or without. In other words, the armed populous is the source of militia men, so we need an armed populous if we are to have a militia.

Regardless, however (no matter how you choose to interpret the militia clause), the second clause of the amendment makes clear that the government is prohibited by the Constitution from restricting (infringing upon) the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say "the right of the militia to arm its members shall not be infringed." That is says "the right of the people" was quite deliberate.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Now. Pay attention.

How many are long guns ?
How many are hand guns?

Your total = 15 of each.
200$/handgun = 3000$
100$/long gun = 1500$

Courtesy of,
The Tootster

Hogwash

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by mathman

This,

It is an introductory clause that does not modify the meaning of the active clause.

Precisely.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Now. Pay attention.

How many are long guns ?
How many are hand guns?

Your total = 15 of each.
200$/handgun = 3000$
100$/long gun = 1500$

Courtesy of,
The Tootster

Hogwash

As is the ability to steal presidential elections, right?
As is LEO standdowns during rioting?
As are,e.g.,NYS, New Jersey, California gun laws ?

There’s lots more.”hogwash “ that never happened.
Right?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Now. Pay attention.

How many are long guns ?
How many are hand guns?

Your total = 15 of each.
200$/handgun = 3000$
100$/long gun = 1500$

Courtesy of,
The Tootster

Hogwash

As is the ability to steal presidential elections, right?
As is LEO standdowns during rioting?
As are,e.g.,NYS, New Jersey, California gun laws ?

There’s lots more.”hogwash “ that never happened.
Right?

Things are changing .

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Have at it.

There are only two possible interpretations. Firstly, it could have been offered as the justification for prohibiting the restriction of the people's right, in the sense of stating that since we need a well regulated militia (which could eventually pose a threat to liberty), the people need to be armed as a counter to it.

Alternatively, its purpose could have been to state the reason for the need for a generally armed population, since the definition of a militia is a force of men who bring their own arms to muster in the service of restoring or maintaining peace in the face of violent threat from within or without. In other words, the armed populous is the source of militia men, so we need an armed populous.

Regardless, however, the second part of the amendment makes clear that, for whatever reason, the government is prohibited by the Constitution from restricting (infringing upon) the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say "the right of the militia to arm its members."

An 'ownership' tax would be a helluva 'infringement' IMHO

FJB & FJT
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.