Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Today we took our son Chase to Scout camp he had to show the camp he could swim. When it was his turn he swam with two boys who are senior scouts, 4-5 years older than him....Chase kicked their butts in a hundred yard swim. When he got back to the dock he was only one not flopping down in exhaustion. For a dad this is pretty cool concidering there are faster boys out there but they are all older, the kid earned himself some respect in the troop today. The kid can swim he swims 500 meters every week...now if some one could just talk him into joining the local jr swim team... ah well al in good time. Awh shucks just a proud dad.

Bullwnkl

Last edited by Bullwnkl; 07/22/07.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for him!

Better check him for scales. smile

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
No scales his patrol is called the Sharks grin

Bullwnkl

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's cool Bullwnkle, I worked two summers as a Boy Scout camp when I was one of them senior Scouts (Eagle/Explorer/Order of the Arrow) years ago. I had just been one of the Scouts there for several years before I got the job. One summer I was an out ranger and took a group for a 50 mile hike each week--400 mile for me that year.
The next year I was a safety instructor at the rifle/shotgun range.
I think I made $50.00 a week in the 70s doing this, But I'd do it for free now if I could afford the time off.

Last edited by JaquesLaRami; 07/22/07.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
one of the best ways to make sure your kid lives to be an adult is to make sure he can swim well and confidently.....and make sure they get pitched in with their clothes on a few times so that doesn't freak them out into panic mode. Hundreds of people drowned here that needn't have if they could swim 50 feet.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being the father of two young boys I can say that there is nothing that makes a man more happy than seeing them succeed. My boys are only 1 and 5, I'm reminded the elder will be 6 on tuesday...daily, but nothing makes me happier than to see them try and accomplish new things.

Good on you for raising him not to be ashamed of his abilities, as some do.

As you say, respect is earned, and it is the only way you will ever get it...same goes for trust. Important lessons for our future leaders.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Agreed.

Timing is everything and when my kids were babies, this water babies thing was all the rage, but it also made alot of sense. Soooooo....off to the pool 2 and 3 times per week for a few months when they were both about a year old.

Still not sure that they could get far in open water, but the lessons and confidence couldn't hurt.

I've always owned boats and swimming lessons were a non-issue for both my wife and I in regards to our kids.

Swimming lessons can be a great gift, especially when young because they seem to enjoy it more. More importantly, those lessons could be the "gift of life" when all is said and done.

Last edited by magnumb; 07/22/07.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dad pitched me out of a boat when I was younger, we were fishing, i remember him rowing just out of reach, saying you can make it. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well.......that answers that.....grin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, i'm still here, and BW, thats great, I can only hope my daughters can swim that well, Momma was a competition swimmer for her high school. Me, I can stay afloat, and get my azz to shore, that is what matters to me. grin

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think they named a 7/11 drink after me......The "Big Gulp".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats to your son the trout grin

Me, I swim like a rock, a big fat rock grin

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Preaching to the choir, obviously, but I'm in total agreement with kids being good swimmers and comfortable in the water in any situation.

Nice job, BW.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's funny......my girlfriend all the way through High School....Bill....just kiddin'...was a swimmer for our school. She had a love of the water as I always have. She excelled at the sport, but no Olympian by any means.

I played all 3 of the major sports all 3 years and we often found ourselves, after my games, spending some quality time at the city pool, after hours, where she trained....just to gear down and relax......sans suits.

Well......when it's really dark and the flood lights all of a sudden come on, it's a bit startling. So we were asked to get out of the pool by the night custodian or whatever he was and I did my very best to block his view of my sweetie as she ascended and got dressed.

I thought that just being near and in water like that would qualify me as a swimmer when in fact, all I can do now is the breast stroke.....go figure.

Can't imagine what I'm gonna dream about tonight......geeeez.

Last edited by magnumb; 07/22/07.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
...the only exception being that "situation" I'm afraid.....grin.

Night griz....

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ah heck, you're comfortable with it now. That counts too. smile

'night,

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Violator22
Dad pitched me out of a boat when I was younger, we were fishing, i remember him rowing just out of reach, saying you can make it. grin

Did he take you "Duck Hunting"?

I can see you retrieving now! grin

Mark

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad pitched me out of a boat when I was younger

That is the way I learned too. The swimming wasn't so hard-----it was getting out of that damn sack! smile miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,816
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.