-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What do you guys wear when you can't wear shorts?

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mossy oak trek-lite pants. They are awsome.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the various Nylon Supplex type hiking/fishing pants. There are many good ones and it comes down to fit. I like Columbia and Sportif but there are loads of others too. I almost always get the ones with zip off legs and I generally buy 'em a size up from what I really need.

One of the best/most versatile garments you will ever find.

JimF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 to what the lightweight guru (that doesn't post often enough) JimF said.

If it's brushy and hot and I don't want to take the legs completely off, I open the zippers on the legs a bit, open my fly and let air pump and circulate while I'm walking.

It'll get you some looks at Disneyland!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1ak,
The bouncers at strip clubs don't like it either (or so I've been told)! All kidding aside, there's a pair of said Nylon/zip-offs in the backpack as we speak. I love'em.
Don

Last edited by docdb; 07/23/07.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do as these gentlemen do, but if possible I try to get pants without the zip-off legs. I'm fat and thick legged, so the zipper tends to rub me. My favorite to date is the REI Adventure pant.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I just ordered the Cabelas Hunt tech six pocket pant for warm weather. I prefer shorts to hike in as well but I think these will work for all day warm weather pants.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
For back packing, I use the same pants that JimF does.
For all other hunting during hot weather, I use Mil-surp desert camo pants. Cool, even in 100 degree temps. Too heavy for back packing. They also don't dry out nearly as fast as the nylon pants do. E

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've never tried the nylon pants but will have to give them a go...

-Dan

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I like the REI Adventure pants for cooler weather but for hot weather I like my ExOfficio supplex pants that I bought in 2002. Except for a few ember holes they are still in good shape. The model I have has mesh in part of the hip pockets that really work well to ventilate as you walk. They now have some styles with stretch so they bind even less. Here is there site. They have some styles on sale.

http://www.exofficio.com/product_results.aspx?page=LIST&category%7Cmens=Men%27s%20Clothing&canned_results_trigger=&category_id=mens&category|mens_pantsshorts_pants=Pants&canned_results_trigger=

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The North Face Paramount Convertible Pants kick @ss. Pants perfection in terms of design, fit, performance, comfort, utility, etc. I liked my first pair so much I picked up four more pair before they did something stupid and changed the design...the best all-around earthy color for what I/we do IMO is the greenish-loden color, the lighter colored "dune beige" is way too light of a color unless you are spending a lot of time in the desert and the gray is a bit too dark and tactical looking for my taste. I suppose a fellow could doctor them up with some creative brown, black and green Sharpies to break up their silhouette.

http://www.rei.com/product/738927

Their Autum Trekker pants look promising...but do not have the zip-off feature.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AP3V

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

L
L
I go with the standard military ribstop BDU's for hot conditions. They work well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I got my first pair of nylon pants last week at cabalas.

$34 and man are they lite ,zip-off legs to.

I've got what i call my desert rat outfit about finished ,nylon zip-offs ,merrell moab 3/4 hikers and some small stretch elastic gaiters [walmart] ,columbia nylon hat ,perforated nylon long sleeve shirt.
Going to order a 765ci sage creek reactor pack that holds 100oz water.This will be my daypack set-up for hot weather.

Who'da thunk i'd be back wearing nylon clothes since i hung my leasure suit up for retirement 8 yrs ago.yep got my moneys worth out of that outfit..................Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
These are my summer pants for backpacking. You guys are not wearing nylon pants for bow hunting are you?????

http://www.rei.com/product/693057

Mountain Hardwear Convertible Pack Pants.

bortman can you replace the web belt with a leather belt on these pants Mossy oak trek-lite pants???

Last edited by ehunter; 07/23/07.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (14idaho, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,989
Posts18,481,059
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.