Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Falken

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have yet to find a really good do all tire for winter and summer, mud, snow, rocks, ice. I have to run 10 ply because of a lot of off road , gravel road driving out west and not the best in ice and snow. I just try and throw more weight weight in back. And try to remember to keep the chains in back and pay attention to changing conditions

This semi just did a 180 on the hwy doing 75 mph outside of Livingston, MT right in front of me a few weeks ago when he hit ice on I 90.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

lol

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

One not to overlook is Goodyear Ultra Terrains (pic)

Discount Tire exclusive I believe

Just put some Falkin WP3's on my 3/4 Chevy

Goodyears weren't available in 285-75x16's

St Maxx was a contenter...but had to see what all the Falkin buzz was about

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am currently running Falken AT 3W’s. On pace to outlast the Coopers.

LOL not a creekbed, just a road into the mountains.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d go ahead and replace while you can get a good price for the take off tires .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by horse1

Big Jim never passes up a chance to diss Coopers......
I run ST-Maxx on this one:

The demands placed upon a tired mounted under what is nearly the lightest 1/2tn in GM's fleet, driving in an area of the country dominated by pavement and really good gravel, are significantly different that pulling stock trailers w/3/4-1tn trucks across the prairie, through the gumbo, and upon gravel roads made of rocks big enough for most people's "Rock Garden".
Gravel roads in "Highline Country MT" are a significantly different animal than are gravel roads in ND, SD, MN, or WI.

True, if that were the case, however you assume too much, and you'd be wrong......

My "street truck" doesn't get drove around here. It stays in the garage till I head to Montana deer and coyote hunting, which is the reason I put the ST-Maxx on.

It's seen the dreaded hi-line.....

And it's still the lightest 1/2tn in GM's line and you still don't have a 24' stock trailer or ~900# of diesel motor hanging over the front end.........

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
Air going through the lugs on MUD TIRES make them louder on the PAVEMENT than a TOURING tire.
They were loud all along, because they aren't a snow tire, nor a touring tire and were designed that way.

The Cooper A/T3 4S is not a mud tire, they are a snow tire.......

The Discoverer AT3 4S is part of a line of tires for SUVs and trucks with all-season, all-terrain capability. The 4S has the ability to perform on all surfaces and in all weather. The tire is constructed of an innovative silica-based tread compound in a five-rib pattern to deliver excellent grip off road. You can take it out in the snow to experience superior stopping and traction, but this tire is a winner in every season.
Features

Snow Groove Technology traps snow in the tread for excellent snow-on-snow traction
Uniquely shaped channels help avoid hydroplaning
Specially designed rib pattern provides greater off-road capability
Smaller gauge sipes improve stability and control while reducing stone retention
Zigzag pattern creates more biting edges for wet/dry traction
Three-peak mountain snowflake rated for severe snow
Up to 65,000 Mile Warranty

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Air going through the lugs on MUD TIRES make them louder on the PAVEMENT than a TOURING tire.
They were loud all along, because they aren't a snow tire, nor a touring tire and were designed that way.

The Discoverer AT3 4S is part of a line of tires for SUVs and trucks with all-season, all-terrain capability. The 4S has the ability to perform on all surfaces and in all weather. The tire is constructed of an innovative silica-based tread compound in a five-rib pattern to deliver excellent grip off road. You can take it out in the snow to experience superior stopping and traction, but this tire is a
winner in every season.
L
Features

Snow Groove Technology traps snow in the tread for excellent snow-on-snow traction
Smaller gauge sipes improve stability and control while reducing stone retention

What they are is some noisy pos tires

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Armednfree
After driving my new truck home last night in that snow I discovered something. 4wd all the way and I'm not impressed. Slip sliding away, what I discovered was those damn street tires the put on a truck ain't worth squat.

I asked my dealer freind about that once, he said with that kind of truck they sell the ride, unlike something like a TRD.

It's a truck, let the tires sing and rumble, but let them bite when it counts. Screw the ride.
Now looking at A/T tires after I sell my old truck.

Thinking Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx

More so, even the name brand tires that come new on factory vehicles are NOT the same tire as we buy at the tire store, instead they are cheaper, usually useless version.

Those Coopers with that aggressive of tread won't last long on pavement, and will be pretty noisy.

The Firestone Transforce are the best 10 ply tires I've found on hardpack snow, although I'm not sure if the new version of those tires are quite as good as the first version.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pard ran the Cooper STT Maxx on his '10 F250 6.4L PSD, essentially a twin to my '11. Both crew-cab w/6.75' box, both diesel although I had an extra 50HP and 150#/ft of TQ. I drove them both, and I'll take the Exos over Coopers in a heartbeat. That said, it's doubtful one would notice much difference between the 2 driving an empty 1/2tn.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nitto Ridge Grapplers 2yrs, so far so good. Wear like iron. Also carry chains if it gets too icey

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had great luck withe S/T Maxx and would have bought a third set for my old F350 but the tire man recently talked me into a set of Kelly Edge MT's.

I don't do a lot of icy highway driving but I think they'll be good enough for how fast I drive.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I hate Coopers.

We keep buying them because of the service our local store provides.

I wont buy them any more either. Not impressed with how fast they wear out when put to use.

Me either.

Wife has high dollar MT's on her pickup. I do believe they are the worst tires I have seen.

Rotated regularly, but roar so bad on the highway, even I can hear nothing else. Hate them.

Cooper used to be a good tire--especially for the money. They were sold to a Chinese company, but almost a year after the deal was made, the SEC nixed it. They had to start over, Cooper was sold again and are mostly made in USA last I knew, but they have never been the same tire they once were.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For slick roads, you need slick road tires. All season's are no better than highway tires according to traction tests. They look like snow tires but aren't. Real winter tires are made of a soft rubber that sticks. They'll wear faster so you don't want to run them year round. Also, siping makes a big difference. All those little cuts grab the snow.

This^^^

Big sqaure lugs don't really help a lot on icy/hardpack roads.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

The Discoverer AT3 4S is part of a line of tires for SUVs and trucks with all-season, all-terrain capability. The 4S has the ability to perform on all surfaces and in all weather. The tire is constructed of an innovative silica-based tread compound in a five-rib pattern to deliver excellent grip off road. You can take it out in the snow to experience superior stopping and traction, but this tire is a winner in every season.
Features

You are correct. I just saw AT3.

It looks like a compromise, all the while telling people its an "all season, snow, high milage" tire. Its not different, design wise than most stock tires.
Yeah, its great for everything.

Um, okay.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
https://news.bfgoodrichtires.com/bf...s-of-its-toughest-all-terrain-tire-ever/

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/wheels-tyres/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ko2-tyres-product-test

I got 54,000 Miles on my first set (original BFG Ko).......

I now have the KO2 (new with only 4,000 miles on them so far)............10 ply..........

My 2014 F150 came with 6 ply pathetic tires........"goodyear" if I remember right. I had 3 flats in the first 15,000 miles, so I bought the BFG's..................couldn't be happier with BFG traction, ride, and treadlife.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For slick roads, you need slick road tires. All season's are no better than highway tires according to traction tests. They look like snow tires but aren't. Real winter tires are made of a soft rubber that sticks. They'll wear faster so you don't want to run them year round. Also, siping makes a big difference. All those little cuts grab the snow.

This^^^

Big sqaure lugs don't really help a lot on icy/hardpack roads.

Plus 3 ^^^

Kinda like the 30/06..

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had good luck with cooper at3, hankook atm, and Yokohama geolander at. I like coopers the best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are correct. I just saw AT3.
It looks like a compromise, all the while telling people its an "all season, snow, high mileage" tire. Its not different, design wise than most stock tires.
Yeah, its great for everything. Um, okay.

Sales pitch, they all have them.

Tires, like most things in life, are a compromise, pick your poison......

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.