Home
After driving my new truck home last night in that snow I discovered something. 4wd all the way and I'm not impressed. Slip sliding away, what I discovered was those damn street tires the put on a truck ain't worth squat.

I asked my dealer freind about that once, he said with that kind of truck they sell the ride, unlike something like a TRD.

It's a truck, let the tires sing and rumble, but let them bite when it counts. Screw the ride.
Now looking at A/T tires after I sell my old truck.

Thinking Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx

[Linked Image from cdn.discounttire.com]
the ones that came on my f250 in '15 were pathetic. don't remember what they were but they were a brand name. wore out in 19k miles and were about useless on anything but dry pavement.
Posted By: WAM Re: Stock tires ain't worth squat - 12/25/20
I’ve got Cooper Discoverer m+S tires on both my rigs for winter, Michelin’s for summer season. Good tires. OEM tires are strictly for the ride and handling off the sales lot. Mostly crap. Happy Trails
I hate Coopers.

We keep buying them because of the service our local store provides.
My 2018 Silverado has "off road" tires. After 2 flats they came off and BGF K02's went on. Money well spent.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I hate Coopers.

Yeah seems that’s all anyone carries. They wear down fast..
I hate Coopers.

I wont buy them any more either. Not impressed with how fast they wear out when put to use.
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ve got Cooper Discoverer m+S tires on both my rigs for winter, Michelin’s for summer season. Good tires. OEM tires are strictly for the ride and handling off the sales lot. Mostly crap. Happy Trails

I have been running these year round for years on my trucks. Great in snow. My Cooper dealer runs them on his plow trucks.

405wcf
Originally Posted by Armednfree
After driving my new truck home last night in that snow I discovered something. 4wd all the way and I'm not impressed. Slip sliding away, what I discovered was those damn street tires the put on a truck ain't worth squat.

I asked my dealer freind about that once, he said with that kind of truck they sell the ride, unlike something like a TRD.

It's a truck, let the tires sing and rumble, but let them bite when it counts. Screw the ride.

Those would be far from my first choice for a winter tire. Hard compound and little siping. I put a similar tire on my truck last year and am disappointed in their performance on hard packed snow and ice.
I don’t buy anything by Michelin’s
Good tires can take you farther in 2 wheel drive than some road tires in 4x4.
If you have a 3/4-1tn and a diesel, the Nitto Exo Grappler is an excellent choice. It's the best I've used on hard-packed snow/ice short of dedicated snow tires like Blizzak. They're very puncture resistant, don't get eaten up on gravel, and have a 3rd belt in the sidewall that really stiffens things up if you're towing/hauling something heavy.

I avoid mud like the plague but I did have a little "oopsie" last spring and despite the front bumper being drug, I was able to back out of that black-hole. I wouldn't make a habit of testing a diesel 3/4-1tn pickup in the mud.

Current truck is an '11 F250 w/180K+ Mi, all by me. In it's life I've had:

Continental Conti-Trac from the factory.

Nitto Trail Grappler which had great off-road traction but were not good at all on ice/hard-packed snow which we typically have 3-4Mo/yr here.

BFG ATKO2, no complaints, a very good all-around tire

Nitto Terra-Grappler, probably wouldn't buy again. They're not as good as ATKO2 regarding traction, but, they're just as loud and throw just as many rocks on gravel.

I'm on my 2nd set of Exo-Grappler, I run them as a "winter tire" and have the Terra's on a 2nd set of rims for summer.

On my '06 F250 6.0L PSD I had a set of BFG Long-Trail from the factory and also tried a set of Goodyear Dura-Trac. The Dura-Trac didn't last 2-weeks and I gave them away. They were like driving perched atop dodgeball balls, squirrly is an understatement. Ended up running BFG ATKO for the rest of that truck's life.

The Exo's on a 1/2tn would most likely be mighty rough riding, they're stiff. I'd be inclined to look hard at the new Toyo Open Country AT3 for an "all-around" AT tire on a non-diesel rig.

FWIW, Nitto is the Made in the USA division of Toyo. I like the fact that they're Made in USA thus the reason I've tried 3 different sets to find what works for me. Not a lot of Made in USA choices for tires anymore. The Nitto's don't cost much more than any other comparable tires.
I am on my third set of the ST Maxx, just short of 50,000 miles on the first set and a little over 50,000 on the second set. I have no complaints, they are made for hard use and when rotated regularly they will serve you well.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I hate Coopers.

I wont buy them any more either. Not impressed with how fast they wear out when put to use.

Me either.

Wife has high dollar MT's on her pickup. I do believe they are the worst tires I have seen.

Rotated regularly, but roar so bad on the highway, even I can hear nothing else. Hate them.
Every set of Coopers I've had on my truck rolled like they were square. I even thought there was something wrong with my front end the whole time because it had a shimmy. I finally broke down and bought a set of Michelin Defender M/S All Weather tires for it, and it was like a different truck. I have no problem on slick surfaces either. They are on my vehicles from now on.
For slick roads, you need slick road tires. All season's are no better than highway tires according to traction tests. They look like snow tires but aren't. Real winter tires are made of a soft rubber that sticks. They'll wear faster so you don't want to run them year round. Also, siping makes a big difference. All those little cuts grab the snow.

I have Cooper AT3's on my pickup. They're not excepltional on ice by any means.

This is just a photo I grabbed off the web showing a real siped tire.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
My 2018 Silverado has "off road" tires. After 2 flats they came off and BGF K02's went on. Money well spent.

I've got a 2018 Silverado also. It came with Goodyear Wranglers. Had to have one tire patched at about 250 miles, picked up a nail. It wasn't many more miles when I got another screw in the sidewall close to the thread. No one would patch it were it was at, didn't want to buy new tire with 10,000 miles on other three. I plugged it and it is still going strong, but it has to be the thinnest sidewall I ever seen on a truck tire.
Been running Toyo Open Country A/T II on mine. Will buy another set when thy are done
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Those would be far from my first choice for a winter tire. Hard compound and little siping. I put a similar tire on my truck last year and am disappointed in their performance on hard packed snow and ice.

I ran that ST Maxx tire through 2 Montana winters and it did very well in snow and ice so wouldn't judge it based on looks alone. I'm now running the Exo Grappler that horse1 recommended and agree with his assessment. I think they will outlast the ST Maxx, though do feel the ST Maxx does better in deep snow and mud.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For slick roads, you need slick road tires. All season's are no better than highway tires according to traction tests. They look like snow tires but aren't. Real winter tires are made of a soft rubber that sticks. They'll wear faster so you don't want to run them year round. Also, siping makes a big difference. All those little cuts grab the snow.

Bingo.

Mud tires also suck on pavement.

Ladies fashion is alive and well amongst the male population....
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

I've got a 2018 Silverado also. It came with Goodyear Wranglers. Had to have one tire patched at about 250 miles, picked up a nail. It wasn't many more miles when I got another screw in the sidewall close to the thread. No one would patch it were it was at, didn't want to buy new tire with 10,000 miles on other three. I plugged it and it is still going strong, but it has to be the thinnest sidewall I ever seen on a truck tire.

Most new 1/2Tn pickups are coming from the factory w/P-rated 4-ply tires to keep the tires as light as possible thereby increasing MPG to meet CAFE standards.
Posted By: aalf Re: Stock tires ain't worth squat - 12/25/20

Big Jim never passes up a chance to diss Coopers......

I run ST-Maxx on this one:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I had the Copper SST Pros on my Toyota, really like them and now with my Silverado I am trying the Firestone Destination X/T. They give you a 90 day trail and a 50,000 mile warranty. So far they have worked real well on the highway in ice and snow and in the mountains driving in winter conditions. Have not been a Firestone fan for a long time, but the local guy made me a deal and it was going to be $700 less than Les Schwab
Originally Posted by horse1

Most new 1/2Tn pickups are coming from the factory w/P-rated 4-ply tires to keep the tires as light as possible thereby increasing MPG to meet CAFE standards.

That makes sense.
Originally Posted by aalf

The demands placed upon a tired mounted under what is nearly the lightest 1/2tn in GM's fleet, driving in an area of the country dominated by pavement and really good gravel, are significantly different that pulling stock trailers w/3/4-1tn trucks across the prairie, through the gumbo, and upon gravel roads made of rocks big enough for most people's "Rock Garden".

Gravel roads in "Highline Country MT" are a significantly different animal than are gravel roads in ND, SD, MN, or WI.

The demands placed upon a tired mounted under what is nearly the lightest 1/2tn in GM's fleet, driving in an area of the country dominated by pavement and really good gravel, are significantly different that pulling stock trailers w/3/4-1tn trucks across the prairie, through the gumbo, and upon gravel roads made of rocks big enough for most people's "Rock Garden".
Gravel roads in "Highline Country MT" are a significantly different animal than are gravel roads in ND, SD, MN, or WI.

True, if that were the case, however you assume too much, and you'd be wrong......

My "street truck" doesn't get drove around here. It stays in the garage till I head to Montana deer and coyote hunting, which is the reason I put the ST-Maxx on.

It's seen the dreaded hi-line.....

On my second set of Goodyear Duratracs. The first set I got 65,000 and I just hit the wear bars. I hope the 2nd set it as good. They are excellent in snow and mud
I run more off-road in the worst conditions than almost anyone. We’re talking all seasons ranging from solid rock to feet of mud and snow with 300 ton haul trucks stirring everything up for good measure. There’s lots of highway driving as well, about 40k per year. The best all-around tire I’ve found are the Toyo ATs. I’ve tried almost all of them through the years. Goodyear and Firestone are [bleep]. Michelin are pretty good though. Cooper kinda sucks and will only go half as long as the Toyos and don’t like to stay balanced. Nittos are pretty good too and actually grip a bit better because they are a softer compound. If you’re in hard rock, they will do a better job off-road. I got 75k out of my last set of Toyos on my 2018 Dodge work truck with 10 plys. Most brands are lucky to go half that, including Coopers.

I put AT3 4S's on my Chevy this past summer. For the first few months they were fine, now they are so loud I can barely stand it. Never again.
Firestone transformer cam on my ram 3500. Wasn't a fan but got 30k out of them with 6k of fifth y towing. Replaced them with Cooper at3xlts and have been really pleased. Did really well in our recent deep snow.
When I bought my brand new gmc 2500 HD in ‘02 I was pretty stoked.

Until I’d come home from our cabin w the four place 20’ trailer loaded w snowmachines.

Our driveway is all uphill with a 90* turn 3/4 of the way up before hitting a steeper incline.

I’d literally have to stop at the bottom, unhook from the GMC & hook up to my ‘98 Tacoma to get the trailer up our drive.

Yes boys & girls it took the fun outa having a new powerful V8 truck.

New tires w siping helped restore some joy, but having those useless tires that came on it pizzed me off every time I looked at them, till I disposed of them.

Damn things were good for burning brush piles as it turned out
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
I put AT3 4S's on my Chevy this past summer. For the first few months they were fine, now they are so loud I can barely stand it. Never again.

I have those on my other truck. Only about 10K on them, but I haven't noticed any extra noise so far.

“Gravel” roads around here eat up some tires pretty fast. Coopers dont cut it in my experience. Just not durable enough. But everyone has their own experiences and opinions on tires that work for them and how they use their vehicles.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have those on my other truck. Only about 10K on them, but I haven't noticed any extra noise so far.

I've had them on other trucks I've owned with no problems. I don't know why they're so loud but they are. Very noticeable, and why weren't they loud from the start? Doesn't make sense to me, maybe I'll contact Cooper. There's probably less than 5k miles on them.
Is that a road, or a creek bed?

Come May, I bet it runs 500 CFM.

yep its funny when people look at aggressive truck tire treads and think traction on ice and snow

I've had them on other trucks I've owned with no problems. I don't know why they're so loud but they are. Very noticeable, and why weren't they loud from the start? Doesn't make sense to me, maybe I'll contact Cooper. There's probably less than 5k miles on them.

Air going through the lugs on MUD TIRES make them louder on the PAVEMENT than a TOURING tire.

They were loud all along, because they aren't a snow tire, nor a touring tire and were designed that way.
“Gravel” roads around here eat up some tires pretty fast. Coopers dont cut it in my experience. Just not durable enough. But everyone has their own experiences and opinions on tires that work for them and how they use their vehicles.

What tires do you run?
Falken
I have yet to find a really good do all tire for winter and summer, mud, snow, rocks, ice. I have to run 10 ply because of a lot of off road , gravel road driving out west and not the best in ice and snow. I just try and throw more weight weight in back. And try to remember to keep the chains in back and pay attention to changing conditions

This semi just did a 180 on the hwy doing 75 mph outside of Livingston, MT right in front of me a few weeks ago when he hit ice on I 90.

lol

One not to overlook is Goodyear Ultra Terrains (pic)

Discount Tire exclusive I believe

Just put some Falkin WP3's on my 3/4 Chevy

Goodyears weren't available in 285-75x16's

St Maxx was a contenter...but had to see what all the Falkin buzz was about

DTD

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at
I am currently running Falken AT 3W’s. On pace to outlast the Coopers.

LOL not a creekbed, just a road into the mountains.
I’d go ahead and replace while you can get a good price for the take off tires .

True, if that were the case, however you assume too much, and you'd be wrong......

My "street truck" doesn't get drove around here. It stays in the garage till I head to Montana deer and coyote hunting, which is the reason I put the ST-Maxx on.

And it's still the lightest 1/2tn in GM's line and you still don't have a 24' stock trailer or ~900# of diesel motor hanging over the front end.........
Originally Posted by HawkI
Air going through the lugs on MUD TIRES make them louder on the PAVEMENT than a TOURING tire.
They were loud all along, because they aren't a snow tire, nor a touring tire and were designed that way.

The Cooper A/T3 4S is not a mud tire, they are a snow tire.......

The Discoverer AT3 4S is part of a line of tires for SUVs and trucks with all-season, all-terrain capability. The 4S has the ability to perform on all surfaces and in all weather. The tire is constructed of an innovative silica-based tread compound in a five-rib pattern to deliver excellent grip off road. You can take it out in the snow to experience superior stopping and traction, but this tire is a winner in every season.
Features

Snow Groove Technology traps snow in the tread for excellent snow-on-snow traction
Uniquely shaped channels help avoid hydroplaning
Specially designed rib pattern provides greater off-road capability
Smaller gauge sipes improve stability and control while reducing stone retention
Zigzag pattern creates more biting edges for wet/dry traction
Three-peak mountain snowflake rated for severe snow
Up to 65,000 Mile Warranty

The Discoverer AT3 4S is part of a line of tires for SUVs and trucks with all-season, all-terrain capability. The 4S has the ability to perform on all surfaces and in all weather. The tire is constructed of an innovative silica-based tread compound in a five-rib pattern to deliver excellent grip off road. You can take it out in the snow to experience superior stopping and traction, but this tire is a
winner in every season.
L
Features

Snow Groove Technology traps snow in the tread for excellent snow-on-snow traction
Smaller gauge sipes improve stability and control while reducing stone retention

What they are is some noisy pos tires

More so, even the name brand tires that come new on factory vehicles are NOT the same tire as we buy at the tire store, instead they are cheaper, usually useless version.

Those Coopers with that aggressive of tread won't last long on pavement, and will be pretty noisy.

The Firestone Transforce are the best 10 ply tires I've found on hardpack snow, although I'm not sure if the new version of those tires are quite as good as the first version.
Pard ran the Cooper STT Maxx on his '10 F250 6.4L PSD, essentially a twin to my '11. Both crew-cab w/6.75' box, both diesel although I had an extra 50HP and 150#/ft of TQ. I drove them both, and I'll take the Exos over Coopers in a heartbeat. That said, it's doubtful one would notice much difference between the 2 driving an empty 1/2tn.
Nitto Ridge Grapplers 2yrs, so far so good. Wear like iron. Also carry chains if it gets too icey

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
I've had great luck withe S/T Maxx and would have bought a third set for my old F350 but the tire man recently talked me into a set of Kelly Edge MT's.

I don't do a lot of icy highway driving but I think they'll be good enough for how fast I drive.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I hate Coopers.

Me either.

Wife has high dollar MT's on her pickup. I do believe they are the worst tires I have seen.

Rotated regularly, but roar so bad on the highway, even I can hear nothing else. Hate them.

Cooper used to be a good tire--especially for the money. They were sold to a Chinese company, but almost a year after the deal was made, the SEC nixed it. They had to start over, Cooper was sold again and are mostly made in USA last I knew, but they have never been the same tire they once were.

This^^^

Big sqaure lugs don't really help a lot on icy/hardpack roads.

The Discoverer AT3 4S is part of a line of tires for SUVs and trucks with all-season, all-terrain capability. The 4S has the ability to perform on all surfaces and in all weather. The tire is constructed of an innovative silica-based tread compound in a five-rib pattern to deliver excellent grip off road. You can take it out in the snow to experience superior stopping and traction, but this tire is a winner in every season.
Features

You are correct. I just saw AT3.

It looks like a compromise, all the while telling people its an "all season, snow, high milage" tire. Its not different, design wise than most stock tires.
Yeah, its great for everything.

Um, okay.
https://news.bfgoodrichtires.com/bf...s-of-its-toughest-all-terrain-tire-ever/

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/wheels-tyres/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ko2-tyres-product-test

I got 54,000 Miles on my first set (original BFG Ko).......

I now have the KO2 (new with only 4,000 miles on them so far)............10 ply..........

My 2014 F150 came with 6 ply pathetic tires........"goodyear" if I remember right. I had 3 flats in the first 15,000 miles, so I bought the BFG's..................couldn't be happier with BFG traction, ride, and treadlife.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

This^^^

Big sqaure lugs don't really help a lot on icy/hardpack roads.

Plus 3 ^^^

Kinda like the 30/06..
I've had good luck with cooper at3, hankook atm, and Yokohama geolander at. I like coopers the best.
You are correct. I just saw AT3.
It looks like a compromise, all the while telling people its an "all season, snow, high mileage" tire. Its not different, design wise than most stock tires.
Yeah, its great for everything. Um, okay.

Sales pitch, they all have them.

Tires, like most things in life, are a compromise, pick your poison......
Exactly.
I had the ST max on my 2500HD. Lasted about 40k miles with a bunch of those miles towing a 14k lb toy hauler. I went Cooper AT3 this time around. Also have STT Pros on my Wrangler. I like Cooper tires. Every LT size is made in the US.

I buy Coopers if they make a tire that fits my needs
I would suggest looking at the fallen wildpeak at3ws tires. Amazing runner for the money!
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Been running Toyo Open Country A/T II on mine. Will buy another set when thy are done

This
All terrain tires should be called "no terrain." They aren't actually good at anything.

It depends on how you use your truck. If you are driving a 3/4 ton on blacktop pulling a horse trailer, that is different than an all around vehicle. I use mud tires that are siped. Not great on icepack, but good at everything else, and great off road.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I hate Coopers.

Me either.

Cooper used to be a good tire--especially for the money. They were sold to a Chinese company, but almost a year after the deal was made, the SEC nixed it. They had to start over, Cooper was sold again and are mostly made in USA last I knew, but they have never been the same tire they once were.

Wrong. Cooper OTR truck tires are made in china so the US plants can make pick-up truck tires in the States. they also have several joint ventures in china. They were sold to them.

Cooper wasn't sold to the chinese. They were almost bought by an indian company, but Apollo Tyre backed out due to cooper's china business.

As for Cooper's truck tires. No issues with their AT/3's. Get over 55k on their tires, just make sure you rotate them and keep them inflated. Have been running Cooper's for decades.
I tell everyone the same thing, but rarely do they listen. Kumho AT51.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Siping isnt everything. Biting edges, tread depth and consistent medium compound the depth of tread. Kumho AT51.

My 2019 Silverado Duramax came with Firestones on them. Same thing, I hit a rock and the right rear blew out. Noisy as hell. Service guy at the Chevy garage replacing the warrantied tire said the Coopers have gone down in quality the last few years.I ran them on my 98 Dodge Ram and my wife's 2004Tacoma.

I don't by snow tires for mileage, I buy them for traction with that softer rubber. You can't get both .If someone is buying all weather or all terrain tires they are kidding themselves if they think they will be good on ice or snow
No more Coopers for me ever. My 2016 F-150 4WD is now on its second set of BFG’s and I love them. Quiet as a street tire and just as smooth riding. I can go pretty much anywhere I want to in 2WD....they’re fantastic in my little world,
I went with plain old BFG AT KO2’s... hard to beat them
Totaled my Tundra this spring when an elk hit me on a dark highway. I replaced it with a Ford F150 XLT 4 door with 13,000 miles. Came with Goodyear Wrangler Radials which I haven't used in years. I'm up to 20,000 miles and they seem to be doing well. Anyone else use them?
Does no one run Kelly Safari’s? Bought a 2004 Dodge Ram from my stepdad that he had put used Kelly Safaris on back, I drove the truck nearly three years and they still have tread left.

You are driving a 4WD truck, on a paved street and having trouble managing it in 2 inches of snow...?
My last new truck got a new set of thirty fives, leveled and lifted before I drove it home.

Those brand new car tires whent on FB marketplace
Originally Posted by tedthorn
My last new truck got a new set of thirty fives, leveled and lifted before I drove it home.

And so did the warranty on the truck....

I lost so much sleep over it.....
Im sure, makes sense.

And it's still the lightest 1/2tn in GM's line and you still don't have a 24' stock trailer or ~900# of diesel motor hanging over the front end.........
If you want to talk apples and oranges, my truck and tires are bigger and better than yours, horse.

You've had too much egg nog.
Originally Posted by pahick

I’ve been running these the last 3 years. On snow packed, icy or slushy roads they’ve been very good and at a lower price than most comparable tires. But it’s no extreme mud tire, but I try to avoid that anyway.

Couple of our local dealers will lift/level and put 35’s on and still honor the original warranty. They are 2 of the biggest in MO.
I just ordered the Toyo AT3 s , cant wait to get rid of the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires . They are shot at 29,000 miles .

I went to Discount Tire and the guy asked me "what is my driving style" ?
I'd like to thank everyone for ditching their stock tires and getting something else. This allowed me to get several dirt cheap sets of used tires that still had the little nubbies on them. Idk what's wrong with my pickups but I've never had problems with stock tires.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I just ordered the Toyo AT3 s , cant wait to get rid of the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires . They are shot at 29,000 miles .

I went to Discount Tire and the guy asked me "what is my driving style" ?

You gotta Ram? Some of them devour tires.
Originally Posted by stang5021
I would suggest looking at the fallen wildpeak at3ws tires. Amazing runner for the money!

Excellent choice and one I will make again when needed.
I have run the ST Maxx and the Goodyear Duratracs on my 2011 Chevy 1500 and would give the Duratracs the edge in snow and ice. I think the ST Maxx do a little better in mud, The Duratracs would go 55K easy before changing. Not sure the ST Maxx I have on now will make 55K. Of the 2 I would buy the Duratracs over the ST Maxx. My 2018 1500 came with Goodyear Eagle tires, they are only good for paved roads and not much snow, but they are quiet and ride nice.

About the same price as the Falkens I'm running now
I hate Coopers.

About three weeks ago I replaced the stock Toyota oem Dunlops which had done 53000 kms with Cooper Discoverer ATT, which surprisingly enough are quieter than the Dunlop road tyres, the Coopers also have less body roll in the corners.

I am pleased with the purchase.

Added, and as for snow...heck man, my freezer doesn't get as cold as your doorstep!
Originally Posted by 19352012
I'd like to thank everyone for ditching their stock tires and getting something else. This allowed me to get several dirt cheap sets of used tires that still had the little nubbies on them. Idk what's wrong with my pickups but I've never had problems with stock tires.

You probably drive like a puzzy. The gas is on the right gramps. Keep buying up those stock crap tires.
I hit a sidewall on a rock with my Cooper AT3's and blew one. They had about 50% left so I found a used tire at a tire shop. They had an almost new Michelin Defender for $60. I wish they'd had 3 more. That would have been $240 for a set of near new LT tires.
Posted By: DBT Re: Stock tires ain't worth squat - 12/26/20
I've had a great run with Cooper AT3's. Next set the same, when due.
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan

This

Got those on my 4 Runner, but I don't consider them good for snow tire needs... off road they do okay...

for winter tires on my cars and other vehicles I prefer Hankook Winter Tires

been using hyrdrophilic snow tires since the early 1980s.....

used them back in Minnesota and now here in Oregon... great in both wet heavy rain, and then real wet snow...
do good with snow packed roads also.. especially when studded...

More so, even the name brand tires that come new on factory vehicles are NOT the same tire as we buy at the tire store, instead they are cheaper, usually useless version.

Those Coopers with that aggressive of tread won't last long on pavement, and will be pretty noisy.

The Firestone Transforce are the best 10 ply tires I've found on hardpack snow, although I'm not sure if the new version of those tires are quite as good as the first version.

have any new snow tire sipped and it improves packed snow traction dramatically....
that and add studds to them....

and carry a set of chains, when the going really gets to be a pain in the ass....
Originally Posted by ENorton
I have run the ST Maxx and the Goodyear Duratracs on my 2011 Chevy 1500 and would give the Duratracs the edge in snow and ice. I think the ST Maxx do a little better in mud, The Duratracs would go 55K easy before changing. Not sure the ST Maxx I have on now will make 55K. Of the 2 I would buy the Duratracs over the ST Maxx. My 2018 1500 came with Goodyear Eagle tires, they are only good for paved roads and not much snow, but they are quiet and ride nice.

2020 Silverado Crew Cab. Factory tire, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT275/65R18. Not much off road going on with this vehicle. Damn these tires are loud, slight sway at 75mph.Good on wet and snow covered roads. Can't imagine them being outstanding on ice, not much is without chains or studs. Decided to bite the bullet and run them til I need new tires.

Originally Posted by 19352012

You probably drive like a puzzy. The gas is on the right gramps. Keep buying up those stock crap tires.

Monday I will call the tire place and get the best tire they got because someone named Skankhunt challenged my my driving skills on the internet.

+1

You need a bunch weight in the truck bed, without that you aren’t going to get traction no matter what tire you put on.

Always liked BFG KO2's

Just took off a set from my Chev 2500HD...37K miles & only 4/32" left

Proper air pressure...alignment good.....rotated.....

Combination of highway & a lot of gravel roads

Bought 4 new Falkin WP3's....they gotta go more than 37K
What about the Wrangler DuraTrac?
I just put a set of Duratracs on my 2018 Ram 3500. They have already taken this truck in places it’s not used to going. I’m impressed so far. Time will tell how they hold up to hauling heavy loads often.
I had General AT2 grabbers on my old truck. I guess I ran those 55.000 mile. Heavy tire but I liked them. Replaced them with Kelly A/T, not real happy.
What about the Wrangler DuraTrac?

My suggestion would be to check them out in person, unmounted at the shop. Then compare to a more robust tire, especially for sidewall thickness, stiffness, etc. Of course there's a lot that you can't see, such as actual ply construction and material properties but it should give you an idea. The ones that I have seen have a relatively soft and sticky compound. And they do have a lot of fans for snow and ice use, I think, in part due to that compound. But the sidewalls feel like HD tubes that I used to put in my dirt bikes laugh Not quite, but pretty flimsy.

They also have a bad reputation for sidewall punctures and punctures in general (tread). My friend loves the Duratrac, as he lives on a steep hill that gets icy and doesn't want to use snow tires. And yes, he did manage to puncture one in Eastern Oregon which was no surprise. Load range E tire. On a groomed gravel road, not on some 4x4 trail. Stone drilling. It's where a stone gets stuck between the tread lugs, and every impact on that stone embeds the rock into the carcass. When the shop patched the tire, they found the stone, as it was still in the tire.

I like a more robust tire for stone drilling like the Toyo M-55, but not everyone needs it. And not all regions of the country have sharp rock like we do here. It's volcanic rock that gets crushed locally and spread on our gravel roads. I like Toyos, but my last two sets have been Nitto EXO. I like them better than the M-55 for noise, balance/vibe, etc. However, once worn they are not that great on ice which is no surprise. But I don't try to get every last mile out of my tires. Once I get the best 50% of their life, someone else is willing to pay good money for the worst 50%.

And there's no perfect tire. If I didn't deal with sharp rocks, I wouldn't bother with the EXO or M-55. I'd be tempted to use something different, but still with a strong sidewall. You can do an online search of the offroad forums and there's a lot of chatter about Duratrac sidewall punctures. I worked with a guy who slid into a ditch while hunting. A twig punctured the sidewall of a Duratrac. Not a good candidate for a plug or patch. Better have a good quality spare!

My2016 f-150. Had Goodyear load range E with the kevlar sidewalls got 59,300 out of them, smooth and quiet on dry highway not worth anything on wet,Snow, or mud. Bought Hercules Iron Man AT's $625 for 4 monted , balanced and installed . So far good. Mb
I had General AT2 grabbers on my old truck. I guess I ran those 55.000 mile. Heavy tire but I liked them. Replaced them with Kelly A/T, not real happy.

I'm a tire slut

Have Grabber AT2's on my UTV trailer

but then

I've got a high dollar machine I'm haulin'---------------- grin

15"

I went with the Cooper AT3. This truck is 96% paved road, 4% county road which is small gravel. No mud, only snow. All the gravel around here is limestone. So the B sidewall should be fine

Should beat the crap out of the passenger tires that are on it now.

$531.91 total.
Seems like a heck of a deal for truck tires. And no sense buying more than you need.
Yeah.

What size?

285/75R16's are about $980 for the ol' Ford.
I went with the Cooper AT3. This truck is 96% paved road, 4% county road which is small gravel. No mud, only snow. All the gravel around here is limestone. So the B sidewall should be fine

$531.91 total.

You had 4 light truck tires Installed for 531.91?

New tires?

Thats not enough money for tires.

Maybe golf cart tire....

Doesn't matter to me how good they are, I'm not buying tires made in Vietnam!!! They got enough from us, they aren't getting my money too!!

$531.91 total.

New tires?

Maybe golf cart tire....

A/T tire, load index 111. I don't haul heavy loads anymore. If I need to I'll hook up the trailer. Heavy enough for what I need, not so heavy as to burn a bunch of fuel. The bed has my shooting stuff in it, not much more. Hunting gear twice a year.
You live and hunt in Ohio.

Whatever you bought will be fine.
Posted By: 79S Re: Stock tires ain't worth squat - 12/28/20

$531.91 total.

New tires?

Maybe golf cart tire....

Hey not everyone shops for tires at the tribal garage like you do.
Originally Posted by deflave
You live and hunt in Ohio.

Whatever you bought will be fine.

True enough, not a lot of mountain climbing around here. good bit of snow, often wet sticky snow that packs into slush, then freezes.
My main wants in a tire is a quiet smooth ride. I have four vehicles that have Michelin tires exclusively. One Toyota LC wearing X LT A/S. Another LC that has LTX A/T2's most of the time and an extra set of wheels with Latitude X-Ice on them. That extra set will fit both but use it only on the older vehicle. The F450 dump flatbed has 10ply LTX's on it. A recently bought used F150 standard cab with 8' bed that has the newer Defender's on it now. I hope they hold up. They get varying reviews.
Well they are on. I did a small amount of driving. It does feel more like a truck, that squishy feel is gone. I carried the stock ones to the shed, damn things were light.
Been running Coopers for a years but those MTP muds were just too much noise after starting t owear. Fantastic mud tire but the absolute loudest dang things ever. Fronts needed replacing and I wanted to go back to AT 's. Looked at everything imaginable starting with ST Maxx, and Nitto Terra Grapplers, but after talking to a few owners and reading and reading and overthinking it came down to either Toyo AT3 or Falken AT3. Toyos were out of stock and I was in a hurry so I went Wildpeaks. Heavy suckers but man- it is heaven on the highway now. Will see how it does on the slippery mud at the lease but my rears are still full on mudders and it is only 2wd ( I know I know) . So- should be okay. Seems no better mpg though.
I hate Coopers.

Had more blowouts with coopers than any other.

That said expecting factory tires to be uber is like factory barrels... or the bed in an RV to be super... etc...
Many years ago all I had was 2WD trucks. Finally got me a 4WD. That's when I started getting stuck in the mud a lot more. Trying to use my legs less I guess. Ha!
Stock tires are for fetching groceries on pavement for 30K miles.

They're pieces of schit.

Good tires for day-in-day-out outdoor pursuits start and stop with the Geolander A/T. They handle snow, mud, washboard, and every other thing you can throw at them. And if you're diligent about rotating, they will give you 70K or more service life.
I just put Firestone Destination AT’s on the Ranger and Destination AT2’s on the 4Runner. We’ll see how they hold up.

4Runner has already had to climb the mountain to the cabin with snow and ice and there were no issues. That’s about the roughest terrain I get into and both are mainly highway vehicles.
Originally Posted by Gibby
My main wants in a tire is a quiet smooth ride. I have four vehicles that have Michelin tires exclusively. One Toyota LC wearing X LT A/S. Another LC that has LTX A/T2's most of the time and an extra set of wheels with Latitude X-Ice on them. That extra set will fit both but use it only on the older vehicle. The F450 dump flatbed has 10ply LTX's on it. A recently bought used F150 standard cab with 8' bed that has the newer Defender's on it now. I hope they hold up. They get varying reviews.

Hunting buddy has LTX AT2's on an '09 F350/6.4L PSD Crew/Long-box. They're smooth, reasonably quiet, don't get cut all to heck from gravel, last ~60K Mi, but, they SUCK on ice/snow. I'm no "tireologist" but I suspect the properties that make them resist getting chewed by gravel and long-lasting also cause them to be so hard that they don't grip well on cold/slick.
Originally Posted by rost495
I hate Coopers.

Had more blowouts with coopers than any other.

That said expecting factory tires to be uber is like factory barrels... or the bed in an RV to be super... etc...

I gotta ask,
Just how many blowouts have you had?

I've probably blown a dozen or two, all truck tires.

Never had a blow out on a passenger vehicle.
Can't think of but one or two folks who have since radials, and
we quit the recap thing.
Originally Posted by deflave
Stock tires are for fetching groceries on pavement for 30K miles.

They're pieces of schit.

Good tires for day-in-day-out outdoor pursuits start and stop with the Geolander A/T. They handle snow, mud, washboard, and every other thing you can throw at them. And if you're diligent about rotating, they will give you 70K or more service life.

these don't look very special

pic two...they copied the Falkin....... blush

The oem tires are selected for price and effects on EPA mileage. I don't have a truck, I have a 2wd escape. I had it 3 days before I put snows on all 4 wheels. There is a world of difference. My snows are coopers, ran them a bit long this spring due to covid and shut downs. I'm getting three seasons out of them.

A tire soft enough to work on ice isn't going to wear great once it warms up. It costs me 50 bucks to have my 3 seasons and snows swapped around so that is 100 bucks a year. I was in one head on when my all seasons failed to perform for me at the worst time. Thankfully only vehicles were seriously damaged.
We're a bit like 1st grade boys looking @ the fastest kids shoes to see what "grips" make you run faster...........
Originally Posted by Szumi
The oem tires are selected for price and effects on EPA mileage. I don't have a truck, I have a 2wd escape. I had it 3 days before I put snows on all 4 wheels. There is a world of difference. My snows are coopers, ran them a bit long this spring due to covid and shut downs. I'm getting three seasons out of them.

A tire soft enough to work on ice isn't going to wear great once it warms up. It costs me 50 bucks to have my 3 seasons and snows swapped around so that is 100 bucks a year. I was in one head on when my all seasons failed to perform for me at the worst time. Thankfully only vehicles were seriously damaged.

I'd leave a note w/the tire shop or Ford dealer, also watch Craigslist or similar local site and nab a 2nd set of factory take-off wheels. Should be able to get them for $250-$300. 20 lug nuts off/on, about 30Min to swap. Most of the oil-change places or tire shops will do the swap (mounted for mounted) for the cost of a normal tire rotations, under $20. Places I've bought tires that do free lifetime rotations will do the mounted-tire swap @ no-charge. Save yourself the $50/season and, more importantly, you get the snows swapped out before the heat chews them up prematurely.
I think that the COVID scare has morphed into tire marketing. The lowest segment of the market is the highest selling now. There are top quality HT tires discounted to the lowest price in class. I guess everyone wants to be safe without the bother of thinking. Theses are great times.
I hate Coopers.

My coopers have 50,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread on them. This is my 3rd set and they are the best tire IMO.
Posted By: WAM Re: Stock tires ain't worth squat - 12/29/20
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Originally Posted by WAM

I have been running these year round for years on my trucks. Great in snow. My Cooper dealer runs them on his plow trucks.

405wcf

The Cooper Discoverer M+S is not billed as a high mileage tire. Judging by the wear on my Silverado, they’ll last two seasons for really good tread depth and maybe 3 on the Burb which is not driven as much. If I can get two winters out of snow tires they are worth the less than $500 a set. The gravel roads and rough pavement don’t help much for longevity. I have had several tire installers ask why I’m replacing good tires. My stock answer is that really good tires are what’s between you and harp lessons..... or shoveling brimstone.
wtf.... Lots of pics in this thread , of your high school pickup tires on your cool ride ...blocky tread is a no go !!
© 24hourcampfire