Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
My 2018 Silverado has "off road" tires. After 2 flats they came off and BGF K02's went on. Money well spent.

I've got a 2018 Silverado also. It came with Goodyear Wranglers. Had to have one tire patched at about 250 miles, picked up a nail. It wasn't many more miles when I got another screw in the sidewall close to the thread. No one would patch it were it was at, didn't want to buy new tire with 10,000 miles on other three. I plugged it and it is still going strong, but it has to be the thinnest sidewall I ever seen on a truck tire.

Most new 1/2Tn pickups are coming from the factory w/P-rated 4-ply tires to keep the tires as light as possible thereby increasing MPG to meet CAFE standards.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Big Jim never passes up a chance to diss Coopers......

I run ST-Maxx on this one:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had the Copper SST Pros on my Toyota, really like them and now with my Silverado I am trying the Firestone Destination X/T. They give you a 90 day trail and a 50,000 mile warranty. So far they have worked real well on the highway in ice and snow and in the mountains driving in winter conditions. Have not been a Firestone fan for a long time, but the local guy made me a deal and it was going to be $700 less than Les Schwab

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
My 2018 Silverado has "off road" tires. After 2 flats they came off and BGF K02's went on. Money well spent.

I've got a 2018 Silverado also. It came with Goodyear Wranglers. Had to have one tire patched at about 250 miles, picked up a nail. It wasn't many more miles when I got another screw in the sidewall close to the thread. No one would patch it were it was at, didn't want to buy new tire with 10,000 miles on other three. I plugged it and it is still going strong, but it has to be the thinnest sidewall I ever seen on a truck tire.

Most new 1/2Tn pickups are coming from the factory w/P-rated 4-ply tires to keep the tires as light as possible thereby increasing MPG to meet CAFE standards.

That makes sense.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by aalf

The demands placed upon a tired mounted under what is nearly the lightest 1/2tn in GM's fleet, driving in an area of the country dominated by pavement and really good gravel, are significantly different that pulling stock trailers w/3/4-1tn trucks across the prairie, through the gumbo, and upon gravel roads made of rocks big enough for most people's "Rock Garden".

Gravel roads in "Highline Country MT" are a significantly different animal than are gravel roads in ND, SD, MN, or WI.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1

The demands placed upon a tired mounted under what is nearly the lightest 1/2tn in GM's fleet, driving in an area of the country dominated by pavement and really good gravel, are significantly different that pulling stock trailers w/3/4-1tn trucks across the prairie, through the gumbo, and upon gravel roads made of rocks big enough for most people's "Rock Garden".
Gravel roads in "Highline Country MT" are a significantly different animal than are gravel roads in ND, SD, MN, or WI.

True, if that were the case, however you assume too much, and you'd be wrong......

My "street truck" doesn't get drove around here. It stays in the garage till I head to Montana deer and coyote hunting, which is the reason I put the ST-Maxx on.

It's seen the dreaded hi-line.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
On my second set of Goodyear Duratracs. The first set I got 65,000 and I just hit the wear bars. I hope the 2nd set it as good. They are excellent in snow and mud

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I run more off-road in the worst conditions than almost anyone. We’re talking all seasons ranging from solid rock to feet of mud and snow with 300 ton haul trucks stirring everything up for good measure. There’s lots of highway driving as well, about 40k per year. The best all-around tire I’ve found are the Toyo ATs. I’ve tried almost all of them through the years. Goodyear and Firestone are [bleep]. Michelin are pretty good though. Cooper kinda sucks and will only go half as long as the Toyos and don’t like to stay balanced. Nittos are pretty good too and actually grip a bit better because they are a softer compound. If you’re in hard rock, they will do a better job off-road. I got 75k out of my last set of Toyos on my 2018 Dodge work truck with 10 plys. Most brands are lucky to go half that, including Coopers.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 12/25/20.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For slick roads, you need slick road tires. All season's are no better than highway tires according to traction tests. They look like snow tires but aren't. Real winter tires are made of a soft rubber that sticks. They'll wear faster so you don't want to run them year round. Also, siping makes a big difference. All those little cuts grab the snow.

I have Cooper AT3's on my pickup. They're not excepltional on ice by any means.

This is just a photo I grabbed off the web showing a real siped tire.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

I put AT3 4S's on my Chevy this past summer. For the first few months they were fine, now they are so loud I can barely stand it. Never again.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Firestone transformer cam on my ram 3500. Wasn't a fan but got 30k out of them with 6k of fifth y towing. Replaced them with Cooper at3xlts and have been really pleased. Did really well in our recent deep snow.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I bought my brand new gmc 2500 HD in ‘02 I was pretty stoked.

Until I’d come home from our cabin w the four place 20’ trailer loaded w snowmachines.

Our driveway is all uphill with a 90* turn 3/4 of the way up before hitting a steeper incline.

I’d literally have to stop at the bottom, unhook from the GMC & hook up to my ‘98 Tacoma to get the trailer up our drive.

Yes boys & girls it took the fun outa having a new powerful V8 truck.

New tires w siping helped restore some joy, but having those useless tires that came on it pizzed me off every time I looked at them, till I disposed of them.

Damn things were good for burning brush piles as it turned out

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
I put AT3 4S's on my Chevy this past summer. For the first few months they were fine, now they are so loud I can barely stand it. Never again.

I have those on my other truck. Only about 10K on them, but I haven't noticed any extra noise so far.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
“Gravel” roads around here eat up some tires pretty fast. Coopers dont cut it in my experience. Just not durable enough. But everyone has their own experiences and opinions on tires that work for them and how they use their vehicles.

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

I have those on my other truck. Only about 10K on them, but I haven't noticed any extra noise so far.

I've had them on other trucks I've owned with no problems. I don't know why they're so loud but they are. Very noticeable, and why weren't they loud from the start? Doesn't make sense to me, maybe I'll contact Cooper. There's probably less than 5k miles on them.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Is that a road, or a creek bed?

Come May, I bet it runs 500 CFM.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For slick roads, you need slick road tires. All season's are no better than highway tires according to traction tests. They look like snow tires but aren't. Real winter tires are made of a soft rubber that sticks. They'll wear faster so you don't want to run them year round. Also, siping makes a big difference. All those little cuts grab the snow.

I have Cooper AT3's on my pickup. They're not excepltional on ice by any means.

This is just a photo I grabbed off the web showing a real siped tire.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

yep its funny when people look at aggressive truck tire treads and think traction on ice and snow

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

I've had them on other trucks I've owned with no problems. I don't know why they're so loud but they are. Very noticeable, and why weren't they loud from the start? Doesn't make sense to me, maybe I'll contact Cooper. There's probably less than 5k miles on them.

Air going through the lugs on MUD TIRES make them louder on the PAVEMENT than a TOURING tire.

They were loud all along, because they aren't a snow tire, nor a touring tire and were designed that way.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
“Gravel” roads around here eat up some tires pretty fast. Coopers dont cut it in my experience. Just not durable enough. But everyone has their own experiences and opinions on tires that work for them and how they use their vehicles.

What tires do you run?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.