Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Many years ago all I had was 2WD trucks. Finally got me a 4WD. That's when I started getting stuck in the mud a lot more. Trying to use my legs less I guess. Ha!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Stock tires are for fetching groceries on pavement for 30K miles.

They're pieces of schit.

Good tires for day-in-day-out outdoor pursuits start and stop with the Geolander A/T. They handle snow, mud, washboard, and every other thing you can throw at them. And if you're diligent about rotating, they will give you 70K or more service life.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just put Firestone Destination AT’s on the Ranger and Destination AT2’s on the 4Runner. We’ll see how they hold up.

4Runner has already had to climb the mountain to the cabin with snow and ice and there were no issues. That’s about the roughest terrain I get into and both are mainly highway vehicles.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Gibby
My main wants in a tire is a quiet smooth ride. I have four vehicles that have Michelin tires exclusively. One Toyota LC wearing X LT A/S. Another LC that has LTX A/T2's most of the time and an extra set of wheels with Latitude X-Ice on them. That extra set will fit both but use it only on the older vehicle. The F450 dump flatbed has 10ply LTX's on it. A recently bought used F150 standard cab with 8' bed that has the newer Defender's on it now. I hope they hold up. They get varying reviews.

Hunting buddy has LTX AT2's on an '09 F350/6.4L PSD Crew/Long-box. They're smooth, reasonably quiet, don't get cut all to heck from gravel, last ~60K Mi, but, they SUCK on ice/snow. I'm no "tireologist" but I suspect the properties that make them resist getting chewed by gravel and long-lasting also cause them to be so hard that they don't grip well on cold/slick.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I hate Coopers.

We keep buying them because of the service our local store provides.

Had more blowouts with coopers than any other.

That said expecting factory tires to be uber is like factory barrels... or the bed in an RV to be super... etc...

I gotta ask,
Just how many blowouts have you had?

I've probably blown a dozen or two, all truck tires.

Never had a blow out on a passenger vehicle.
Can't think of but one or two folks who have since radials, and
we quit the recap thing.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Stock tires are for fetching groceries on pavement for 30K miles.

They're pieces of schit.

Good tires for day-in-day-out outdoor pursuits start and stop with the Geolander A/T. They handle snow, mud, washboard, and every other thing you can throw at them. And if you're diligent about rotating, they will give you 70K or more service life.

these don't look very special

pic two...they copied the Falkin....... blush

[Linked Image from cdn.discounttire.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.discounttire.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The oem tires are selected for price and effects on EPA mileage. I don't have a truck, I have a 2wd escape. I had it 3 days before I put snows on all 4 wheels. There is a world of difference. My snows are coopers, ran them a bit long this spring due to covid and shut downs. I'm getting three seasons out of them.

A tire soft enough to work on ice isn't going to wear great once it warms up. It costs me 50 bucks to have my 3 seasons and snows swapped around so that is 100 bucks a year. I was in one head on when my all seasons failed to perform for me at the worst time. Thankfully only vehicles were seriously damaged.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We're a bit like 1st grade boys looking @ the fastest kids shoes to see what "grips" make you run faster...........

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Szumi
The oem tires are selected for price and effects on EPA mileage. I don't have a truck, I have a 2wd escape. I had it 3 days before I put snows on all 4 wheels. There is a world of difference. My snows are coopers, ran them a bit long this spring due to covid and shut downs. I'm getting three seasons out of them.

A tire soft enough to work on ice isn't going to wear great once it warms up. It costs me 50 bucks to have my 3 seasons and snows swapped around so that is 100 bucks a year. I was in one head on when my all seasons failed to perform for me at the worst time. Thankfully only vehicles were seriously damaged.

I'd leave a note w/the tire shop or Ford dealer, also watch Craigslist or similar local site and nab a 2nd set of factory take-off wheels. Should be able to get them for $250-$300. 20 lug nuts off/on, about 30Min to swap. Most of the oil-change places or tire shops will do the swap (mounted for mounted) for the cost of a normal tire rotations, under $20. Places I've bought tires that do free lifetime rotations will do the mounted-tire swap @ no-charge. Save yourself the $50/season and, more importantly, you get the snows swapped out before the heat chews them up prematurely.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think that the COVID scare has morphed into tire marketing. The lowest segment of the market is the highest selling now. There are top quality HT tires discounted to the lowest price in class. I guess everyone wants to be safe without the bother of thinking. Theses are great times.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I hate Coopers.

We keep buying them because of the service our local store provides.

I wont buy them any more either. Not impressed with how fast they wear out when put to use.

My coopers have 50,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread on them. This is my 3rd set and they are the best tire IMO.

NRA Benefactor life member
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ve got Cooper Discoverer m+S tires on both my rigs for winter, Michelin’s for summer season. Good tires. OEM tires are strictly for the ride and handling off the sales lot. Mostly crap. Happy Trails

I have been running these year round for years on my trucks. Great in snow. My Cooper dealer runs them on his plow trucks.

405wcf

The Cooper Discoverer M+S is not billed as a high mileage tire. Judging by the wear on my Silverado, they’ll last two seasons for really good tread depth and maybe 3 on the Burb which is not driven as much. If I can get two winters out of snow tires they are worth the less than $500 a set. The gravel roads and rough pavement don’t help much for longevity. I have had several tire installers ask why I’m replacing good tires. My stock answer is that really good tires are what’s between you and harp lessons..... or shoveling brimstone.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wtf.... Lots of pics in this thread , of your high school pickup tires on your cool ride ...blocky tread is a no go !!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257robertsimp, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,144
Posts18,523,316
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.