Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RickF
Originally Posted by Dutch
Whatever you do, don’t say “call me anytime”.

You call. You text. You go by and check on him. You go with him to the funeral home to pick out the casket. You go and sit with him when the funeral is over and the house is empty. You show him he’s still important to the people in his life. You make sure he’s not alone on her birthday or their wedding day. It doesn’t matter what you say, it matters what you do.

As this site doesn’t have a “like” button, I will just reinforce what Dutch said.

Plus 1.

Dutch said it all.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dutch
Whatever you do, don’t say “call me anytime”.

You call. You text. You go by and check on him. You go with him to the funeral home to pick out the casket. You go and sit with him when the funeral is over and the house is empty. You show him he’s still important to the people in his life. You make sure he’s not alone on her birthday or their wedding day. It doesn’t matter what you say, it matters what you do.

Great post and advice! Actions speak louder than words.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If he's local take him a honey baked spiral-cut ham. Offer to be by his side. Ask him if there's anything he would like for you to do. Offer to help make calls.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ask him what he liked best about her, what made her special to him , share a funny story about her.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first wife died 25 years ago, leaving me with 3 young kids. Words are kinda meaningless at that time. Like said above, be there. So many people just came then left, but several true friends stuck close to us. They invited us for dinner, offered child care so I could get a break and were ALWAYS there so I could talk it all out. And it does not end in a week, or a month - these folks stuck with me for the next year. I am eternally grateful for their love and care - do the same for your friend - Don't ask, DO..

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My family and friends were just "there" for me when my first wife passed. It was a blessing I didn't even realize at the time. I've since had the unfortunate pleasure to return the favors a few times. You find out who is a real friend at times like that.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks all.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Tell him she was a beautiful person, share your favorite stories about her, for a short time bring her back with a picture of words.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife died of cancer Christmas day 2006. There wasn't much any person could that would help but the FACT that she was a devoted christian made all the difference. I know for sure that she's well taken care of.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Little boy comes home from next door.
Mom asks where he's been.
He says next door.
She said, "you know his wife just died"
boy- "I know"
Mom- What did you say to him.
boy- Nothing. I just cried with him.

Little boy above got it right...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Tell him you love him. If he’s close by go sit w him for a bit and say nothing. Your presence is strong. You never forget who sat w you during this overwhelming grief. God Bless.

This is so true in my life. I was 15 when my mother died. I don't remember anything that people said, but I do remember two older high school boys from my church, who were star basketball players in the city, and they came to the front door, side by side, and asked for me and comforted me. They had lost their dad, early in childhood, to an electrocution mishap, so perhaps that was their angle. But I still can picture them standing there at the front door, and how impressed I was that they came over in such a sad time.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mark shubert
"I am so sorry" is the best I can do. And mean it.

This and then be there for them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Friend died on the 22nd. Left a wife and 2 teens. You always think you know what to say or do but dam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife died from disease after we had three children and my mother died young when I was 14.

These two posts are spot on.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Just be available.

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Tell him you love him. If he’s close by go sit w him for a bit and say nothing. Your presence is strong. You never forget who sat w you during this overwhelming grief. God Bless.

This is so true in my life. I was 15 when my mother died. I don't remember anything that people said, but I do remember two older high school boys from my church, who were star basketball players in the city, and they came to the front door, side by side, and asked for me and comforted me. They had lost their dad, early in childhood, to an electrocution mishap, so perhaps that was their angle. But I still can picture them standing there at the front door, and how impressed I was that they came over in such a sad time.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Lost my wife two years ago to Pancreatic cancer. There's nothing you can say or do to make it easier or better. Just be there if he needs an ear or someone to drink a beer with. My best friend is always there to listen and that helps more than you can ever know. dont treat him any differently. He's still the same guy. Just be his friend like always.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A long-time friend of mine came home from work last year to find his wife dead of a heart attack.

I was one of a close circle of friends he called constantly over the following months. Drove out just to spend time with him a number of times. They need to talk, you mostly just listen, not much else you can do.

In this last couple of months he has met a recently widowed lady, they've been spending time, I'm hoping for the best, looks good so far.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd tell him you could have mine if you want one.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 34 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,089
Posts18,501,838
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.