Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used to take my youngest out when he was in high school for out of state deer hunting. Told them I only had 1 week vacation. I like the what someone else posted about losing taste and smell.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

When I was in school the teachers and school board were not openly COMMIE, I went hunting when ever I wanted, to if my grades stayed good they never said a word, The teachers would ask me where good places were to hunt and fish. times have changed. Rio7

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RCflash
Plenty of diverse opinions here................ Semi-random thoughts:

My guess is that each opinion presented here is about in line with that person's experiences when they were a student. Sure is easy to blame the school and The Suits in the Office.

Interesting that I saw [unless I missed it] any mention of the fact that the School Boards make these absence policies. Your bitch is with whoever makes the policies.... not just the people you talk to. And these policies may have been in place for a long time.

I did a LONG time teaching in a small public school in rural Minnesota. With any of those absence squabbles... been there done that.

I agree that the teen should be elk hunting. Without a doubt. There should be a way to arrange that. Unless he is one of those who rarely makes up the work missed. Had quite a few of those. Not all student's situations are alike. One size does not fit all.

Not all work can be assigned to be done out of the classroom. My 9th grade students did labs every week. Couldnt assign that ahead or out of the classroom.

Well into my years teaching, some of us on our faculty decided to keep a master list of all the reasons students provided for their absences... The list grew to about 40 reasons. Students WORK at finding ways to get out class. Anything to get out of class. Such as; miss all day friday to get hair done for the saturday night prom; Christmas shopping; 'have to take my car to get the oil changed' 'I was tired.' absent all day for a dentist appt 4 blocks away. on and on ad nauseum. sometimes 'hunting' was an acceptable excuse... and we arranged parent conferences to be during the week of deer hunting.... Students were off for 3 days.

Our Suits in the Office faced that crap daily so it was not surprising when they wrote absence guidelines for people to refer to. And you cant please everyone.

The key as said above is COMMUNICATION. With The Suits, not just the teachers. See the rules in the student handbook. Since the schools are responsible for the education process it follows that the students are responsible for being there to benefit from it. The case above should have been smoother to work out.

As for elk hunting...... Back in the day i got an offer i didnt want to refuse: elk hunting in Montana. So WAY AHEAD i read the rules for faculty absences. Planned way ahead. Sweet talked some people. Arranged a substitute. Worked really hard getting in shape for the steep slopes and the thin air. Spent a week in the Montana mountains with 3 good guys. Wonderful. The bull with my name on it didnt come around MY side of that brush patch. I could hear him..................... Did get a nice mule deer. My bride told me that after i came home 2 weeks or more passed before i got back to normal...

Probably the teen should have been able to go hunting................ depending on some details. We cant always do what we want. no easy answer.

This guy is absolutely part of the problem

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by gitem_12

My guess is that each opinion presented here is about in line with that person's experiences when they were a student. Sure is easy to blame the school and The Suits in the Office.

Interesting that I saw [unless I missed it] any mention of the fact that the School Boards make these absence policies. Your bitch is with whoever makes the policies.... not just the people you talk to. And these policies may have been in place for a long time.

I did a LONG time teaching in a small public school in rural Minnesota. With any of those absence squabbles... been there done that.

I agree that the teen should be elk hunting. Without a doubt. There should be a way to arrange that. Unless he is one of those who rarely makes up the work missed. Had quite a few of those. Not all student's situations are alike. One size does not fit all.

Not all work can be assigned to be done out of the classroom. My 9th grade students did labs every week. Couldnt assign that ahead or out of the classroom.

Well into my years teaching, some of us on our faculty decided to keep a master list of all the reasons students provided for their absences... The list grew to about 40 reasons. Students WORK at finding ways to get out class. Anything to get out of class. Such as; miss all day friday to get hair done for the saturday night prom; Christmas shopping; 'have to take my car to get the oil changed' 'I was tired.' absent all day for a dentist appt 4 blocks away. on and on ad nauseum. sometimes 'hunting' was an acceptable excuse... and we arranged parent conferences to be during the week of deer hunting.... Students were off for 3 days.

Our Suits in the Office faced that crap daily so it was not surprising when they wrote absence guidelines for people to refer to. And you cant please everyone.

The key as said above is COMMUNICATION. With The Suits, not just the teachers. See the rules in the student handbook. Since the schools are responsible for the education process it follows that the students are responsible for being there to benefit from it. The case above should have been smoother to work out.

As for elk hunting...... Back in the day i got an offer i didnt want to refuse: elk hunting in Montana. So WAY AHEAD i read the rules for faculty absences. Planned way ahead. Sweet talked some people. Arranged a substitute. Worked really hard getting in shape for the steep slopes and the thin air. Spent a week in the Montana mountains with 3 good guys. Wonderful. The bull with my name on it didnt come around MY side of that brush patch. I could hear him..................... Did get a nice mule deer. My bride told me that after i came home 2 weeks or more passed before i got back to normal...

Probably the teen should have been able to go hunting................ depending on some details. We cant always do what we want. no easy answer.

No, he's absolutely correct.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by RIO7
I went hunting when ever I wanted, to if my grades stayed good they never said a word

Exactly

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by gitem_12

No, he's absolutely correct.

No he isn't...he is under the delusion that the public school system has more right to my child than I do...

It's simple. Public school employees are scum and deserve to be treated as such. If my child is going to miss school it's none of their concern as to why.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Success in school at any level is heavily dependent upon attendance.

The current model of remote teaching proves children perform better and learn more when they are in the classroom with professional educators.

Assuming the child has a proper work ethic (largely the product of proper parenting) a week to 10 days of elk hunting will not hinder him academically.

As to the comment that (no one would argue that there are bad apples in any profession) public school teachers are scum the simple remedy is to homeschool.

Or are you sufficiently self-aware that you are not up to the task?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,590
Posts18,532,411
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.