Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ayn Rand's orbit has never strayed into my interest field. Would feel like a waste of time, would rather watch paint dry.

GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Stophel
"Ayn Rand" was a twisted bitch. A psychopath. Virulently anti-Christian. Sexually perverse (and an emotional basketcase). For her, greed was god. Altruism was the closest thing there was to "sin" in her sick worldview. Pure hedonism. Wealth, to her and her Objectivist followers, is a virtue. It is, perhaps, THE greatest virtue. It is all about selfishness (a term she, herself used).

And yet, near the end of her life, she collected Social Security....which her followers today still try to claim it's not hypocritical at all....

It's sad that so many "conservatives" and Christians today claim "Ayn Rand" as being so influential in their lives... but "conservatives" and Christians today have accepted so many other wicked and worldly things as well.

All I know about her so far is the way her values are portrayed in the three part movie of Atlas Shrugged. Unless the producer/director completely twisted the authors values (very possible), your portrayal is far off base.

The issue presented in the movie is not with altruism. The issue is with theft of property, proceeds, and intellect to be stolen by an aristocracy with some small portion given back to the peasants. (A system America is rapidly descending into. Accelerated hard by Obama)

Altruism is fine, as long as it is voluntary!

Did the author not pay taxes her entire life? Including payment into Social Security and Medicare? How then would it be hypocritical for her to receive back some small portion of her forced contributions?

If this is the definition of objectivist:
The key principle of the Objectivist ethics is rationality , as against mysticism and whim. The ethics is a code of benevolence and justice toward other people: holding evil-doers to account for their vices, but treating rational and productive people with good will and generosity.

I am proud to be included in this group.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JeffyD
What kind of name is "Ayn", anyhow?

No, haven't read fiction since I had to in high school. Only read history books. I like to feel that I have learned something when I finish reading a book.

There are many lessons to be learned from fiction.

Even the most ardent Bible believer will tell us many portions are fiction and meant to be understood as fiction as they are there to teach a lesson. Parables??????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
. Unless the producer/director completely twisted the authors values (very possible), your portrayal is far off base.

My portrayal was being generous, frankly. "Ayn Rand's" Objectivism goes FAR beyond that little "rationality quote". It is not hard to find information on the fullness of her "values".

Before accusing me of being a "Marxist" for pointing out her corrupt philosophy, perhaps you should endeavor to find out exactly what it was.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
. Unless the producer/director completely twisted the authors values (very possible), your portrayal is far off base.

My portrayal was being generous, frankly. "Ayn Rand's" Objectivism goes FAR beyond that little "rationality quote". It is not hard to find information on the fullness of her "values".

Before accusing me of being a "Marxist" for pointing out her corrupt philosophy, perhaps you should endeavor to find out exactly what it was.

I made no accusations what so ever. I did ask a question. So you do not have to look up the previous post for yourself, here it is.

Her philosophy is pro meritocracy. Every man should earn according to his merits.

You have a problem with that? Would you be a died in the wool Marxist then?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
oh, please.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Interesting further reading here":https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ayn-rand/#Altr

As TRH stated earlier, I also can find little to disagree with.

Altruism as defined by Rand could easily equate with the "white guilt" we find in America today, and employed so successfully by the left.

We see where that form of altruism is getting us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You seem to be trying to justify some of what you are beginning to discover about her. Just continue to study, and listen to her in her own words, and if you still find yourself in agreement with her, then so be it. But realize that her philosophy and positions share nothing with those of Christianity, nor with those of America's Founders.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You seem to be an educated person, and probably a Christian, based on your responses. I agree with your conclusion on objectivism, for both moral reasons and because some of the conclusions she draws in her academic works aren’t even fully supported by her own writings. However, it doesn’t mean that her writings are worthless, especially the fiction. As you probably know, she grew up in Russia during the Bolshevik revolution. Her family’s business was seized and she lived through Lenin’s forced indoctrination of Russian society. The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are worth reading for her observations and insights on collectivism, capitalism, the role of government, the dangers of compromise between good and evil, and the value of individual liberties. Try reading abridged versions of those books the way you would read Orwell, and you may gain at least some appreciation for their popularity.

------------------------
John
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
You seem to be trying to justify some of what you are beginning to discover about her. Just continue to study, and listen to her in her own words, and if you still find yourself in agreement with her, then so be it. But realize that her philosophy and positions share nothing with those of Christianity, nor with those of America's Founders.

Justification? Absolutely not!

There are many valuable philosophies in the world other than that of Christ. Many great civilizations have been built on principles other than Judeo/Christian/Islam.

Some of those societies even predate Abraham.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

2 Thessalonians 3:10

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you: that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

I should say Ms. Rand's position is rather similar.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch

2 Thessalonians 3:10

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you: that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

I should say Ms. Rand's position is rather similar.

How shallow your investigation of "Ayn Rand"....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is best to read her with her lexicon on objectivism near by.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is there anyone here that hasn't re-read Ayn Rand more than once should have been the question.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by watch4bear
It is best to read her with her lexicon on objectivism near by.

I have that book, along with a few others of her political works.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Stophei, I've had social security taken from my paycheck for over the last 50 years. The government said it was for my benefit , but they have looted and pillaged the whole system for political gain and pork projects. Now I am old enough to collect my benefits that I earned by paying for them all these years, I will. Ayn Rand probably had to pay them also and wanted her benefits. I fault no one for wanting their ss benefits that have had to pay them all their working life. My problem with ss is a Gov't who wants to give away my benefits to someone who never paid for theirs every payday or ever earned them. What I read from Ayn Rand was simple " what do or did you bring to the table?" Productivity is the basis of a satisfying life. Being free to choose how to be productive and earn our way is what makes the US the greatest country on the planet.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I confess that of all the things I've read, I've never read Ayn Rand. She can't be all bate, though. She flushed ignorant bigots like Stickfight out of he swamp.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read her for the first time in 9th grade when a friend recommended that I read Anthem. Have since read all of her books.

Back in the late 80’s while driving through a town, saw a sign that the local theater company was performing her only play and changed my plans so I could attend. The play is about a trial and was written with 2 endings based on the verdict reached by audience members that were randomly selected to be the jury. IIRC it was the first play ever written with 2 endings.

For those that have not read her works, I recommend - For The New Intellectual - it has excerpts from all of her works with an explanation of the characters and circumstances in which the dialogue is presented. In each case the excerpt is in some way a summation statement of a major theme/tenet of the book. Those from Anthem, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are especially worth reading in depth.

Last edited by BlackHunter; 12/27/20.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Watching Atlas Shrugged II today.

Then went down the rabbit hole reading about Ayn Rand. The woman was a visionary.

Her work seems prophetic of our world today. But, then again, prophesy of human behavior is easy. Just look to the past and watch it repeat itself.

I read all her books - Fountainhead, Shrugged, We the Living, Anthem, Objectivist Epistemology, The Virtue of Selfishness, etc. before i was out of my teens. A bunch of her "Ayn Rand Letters." I even have a copy of her "Art of Non-fiction." (My old man was the real life Don Draper. He had all that stuff and got me into her early, though not so early as he got me into guns and shooting wink .)

I was wildly impressed with her when i was 16. Which i think makes total sense.

Last edited by gulo; 12/27/20.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (308ld, Anaconda, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 10 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.