Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have some brass that has been fired several times in the same chamber. Trimmed to length, but it still is pretty tight to chamber or will not chamber. My question is on the "case length head space gauge". When using the gauge, if the case heads are raised above the gauge does that mean the shoulder needs to be bumped back or the case needs to be FL resized? Watched a few videos, and it seems the gauge does not measure diameter of the brass....so I assume it's the shoulder that needs to be set back.

I do not have the "Length Headspace Gauge" yet. Just looking for some answers as to cases.

All help is appreciated.

Ed
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the case fits but the head is high ( above the upper most edge), the shoulder needs to be bumped. If the case does not enter the gage, the case needs to be resized and the shoulder possibly needs to be bumped back (or not).

Test this out for yourself with virgin brass, 1x fired brass, 2x fired brass etc.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Quit buying useless expensive gimmicks...your chamber is your gauge...prussian blue or magic marker your too snug case...close the bolt, open , eject, read the witness marks on the case. Adjust dies, repeat until it chambers the way you desire..lock die. The bright witness marks may be on the shoulder and/or just ahead of the web, either way the bright marks will tell you where the interference is.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Quit buying useless expensive gimmicks...your chamber is your gauge...prussian blue or magic marker your too snug case...close the bolt, open , eject, read the witness marks on the case. Adjust dies, repeat until it chambers the way you desire..lock die. The bright witness marks may be on the shoulder and/or just ahead of the web, either way the bright marks will tell you where the interference is.

Nah, I think everyone needs headspace comparators, benchrest neck sizing dies and fancy oal finding tools. You have to have all those tools to survive hand loading these days... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

That absolutely works...but it sure is a lot faster and easier to use the tools available.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agreed, some may feel it’s not needed, some like using the tool for the job.

Always find it funny when people feel the need to tell others what they don’t need to spend money on.

To me it is dumb as hell to buy a bunch of guns for the sole purpose of punching holes in paper, to each their own. wink

Originally Posted by liliysdad

That absolutely works...but it sure is a lot faster and easier to use the tools available.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What Sakoluvr said. The case needs to enter the gauge freely - "plunk" is a good word - for accurate assessment of need to bump the shoulder.

Loading for a single rifle, especially with brass fired from it, the rifle's chamber works perfectly.

Evidently, am not the only one with a drawer full of uppers looking for ammo that works in all. The Wilson gauge works for me.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yes, I worded that poorly, for which I apologize. My point being, clearly this time I hope, the reamer that cut the 'chamber' on the tool is not the reamer your chamber in your rifle was cut with. SAAMI specs are the target for the machinist and they issue a plus or minus tolerance, the reamers have tolerances...the depth that reamer cut into the tool during production has tolerances...the same applies to the chamber of your rifle. So without even considering the biggest variable, which is the distance from the shoulder to the bolt face, you are now, in machinist parlance, in the area of 4 or 5 "stacking errors". IF your gauge happens to exactly match the chamber on your rifle, excellent, you are fortunate and the gauge is worth every cent. The chances of your tool exactly matching the chamber of your rifle with 5 variables are not good. Buy what you want and enjoy it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Not a fan of the drop in chamber gauges. The Hornady tool is like 40 bucks. Money well spent. I assume you are neck sizing if the brass has been fired 4 times and wont chamber? Then yes the shoulder needs to be bumped.

Loosen your full length sizing die lock ring, then tighten the die 1/4 turn, snug up the lock ring. Resize a previous case where the bolt would not close. Try the fresh resized case in your chamber by closing the bolt and feeling no resistance (hopeful). Fine tune with 1/8 turns on other cases. I use case length gauges and comparators but always check in my chamber for that clean unencumbered closed bolt. What does that feel like? It’s the same as if the bolt were closed while the chamber were empty. If you turn the die in too far you will shorten the case unnecessarily causing another unwanted condition that is easily detected with a case length gauge. Good luck!

Last edited by 3bird; 12/27/20. Reason: Mistake
IC B3

308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I reload for my Ruger Hawkeye .308. I Pretty much have it worked out now with all the help from above. It was just a pain in the butt running each case through the chamber. When I check cases in the chamber I have the complete firing pin group removed from the bolt. No pressure on bolt closure or lift unless the case has a problem. I now have the FL die setup for "proper" Case/shoulder resizing. I also bought the "Wilson case length headspace gauge" much easier than running every case through the chamber or resizing every case every time.

Ed
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For 308 (and many others) a really fancy gauge will work nicely to show how much you've moved the shoulder back. What is this marvelous doohickey? A deprimed piece of 40 S&W brass. grin

Put the 40 case over the mouth of the 308 case and measure the length of the whole pair. Size the 308 case. Repeat the measurement with the 40 case in place. The difference in the measurements is how much the shoulder of the 308 case was moved.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 40 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,228
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.