-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Just wanted to post some results on this bullet's performance on Whitetail. My daughter has never expressed any interest in hunting or shooting until this year. This past summer she went to Colorado and was talked into joining the other kids in shooting prairie dogs and loved it. She informed me that she has decided she wanted to start deer hunting.
She tried my 308 with light loads and was too recoil sensitive to shoot accurately. I tried her out on a Remington 700 in 223 and she was good out to 200 yards which is plenty for the farm where I hunt. My primary concern was finding a bullet that would stabilize in the 1-12" twist that would adequate for whitetail. I settled on the Barnes 55 grain TSX which Barnes advertises as stable in a 1-12" twist. I loaded up test rounds and found 25 grains of Varget to be the most accurate. Off we go on her first deer hunt.
Within 2 minutes of sitting in the blind, a doe and yearling step out into the field about 110 yards away and I asked if her if she wanted to shoot the yearling. "I want to wait on a buck." she says. I reply that it was her decision and we wait. 10 minutes later she whispers to me "Big buck to the left." I look to the left and 30 yards away is a very nice 8 point (130ish class). "Shoot that buck if you can." I whisper. She eases the muzzle around slowly and gets settled while the buck mills around the edge of the tree line just in front of the blind. I am waiting as patiently as a father can possibly wait but she doesn't shoot. The buck enters the tree line and begins to walk up the hill toward where the doe and yearling are. I bleat and stop him. Still she doesn't shoot. He steps off again and again I bleat, stopping him. Still no shot. He finally walks off up the hill eliminating the possibility of a shot close to the blind.
"Why didn't you shoot?" "There was grass in the way" she said calmly. I told her I was proud that she waited instead of taking a shot she wasn't comfortable with. The buck came to the edge of the field adjacent to the doe but never again presented a shot.
A short time later she says to me "There's another buck". In the same spot that the big 8 came out, a young spike steps into view. I say nothing, leaving the decision to her and confident now in her ability to wait for a suitable shot. The spike walks directly in front of her, 25 yards away and I see her settle in behind the rifle. She eases the safety off with two fingers to prevent it from "clicking" loudly and begins following the young deer with her muzzle. I watch her breathing...normal. She seems exceedingly calm. The little spike stops broadside and looks up the hill in the direction of the doe and yearling which haven't moved.
I'm thinking to myself that she doesn't really want to kill a deer after all because she has shown no emotion, hasn't asked any questions or asked if she could shoot and didn't seem excited in the least. As I'm pondering all of this, BOOM! her rifle speaks and the spike mule-kicks, turns and begins running uphill as the doe and yearling exit the clearing. As he is running directly away I see blood pouring from the entry and exit wounds behind his shoulders. He begins to slow quickly and starts to wobble before piling up after a quick 50 yard run.
I look at my daughter as she watches the buck die. No emotion except for a smile and a look in her eyes that asks "Did I do good, Daddy?"
I told her that she made what looks to be a perfect heart shot and that she did very well. She checks her smart watch and tells me her heart rate is 68 bpm. What? My heart was racing!
Gents, I believe I have a hunter on my hands. She was quiet and ethical in everything that she did. She wasn't rash, showed patience and reverence for the animal. She was safe and accurate with her rifle and knew her limitations. To say I am proud is an understatement.
Now, on to the bullet performance. The deer was perfectly broadside at about 30 yards away, looking away from the blind. The bullet entered just behind the right shoulder, breaking a rib as it entered the chest, punched a hole through the heart and broke another rib as it exited the left side, leaving an excellent wound channel and blood trail. Meat damage was not excessive and it quickly killed the deer. I could not ask for more. I know that the range was close and the bullet was still running at a good velocity and this is just one example, but, so far, I am pleased.
I am even more pleased with my daughter. I have made it a point to thank her for providing food for our table every time we eat. The proud smile and slight blushing she responds with says everything that I need to hear. My daughter is 13 and she now proclaims herself as a hunter. I agree.

Last edited by Tennessean; 12/28/20.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Did you use the TSX or TTSX? We use the 55gr TTSX in our .223's and it's pure evil on deer. Only one has run. A mulie doe shot at 94 yards. It ran/stumbled down hill for 40 pouring blood out the entire time. The heat looked like a Sliky. All the others have dropped at the shot. Including some big bodied WT deer. Range from 50 yards to 150 yards.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
She sounds like a well-raised young lady. Congrats to you both.

T
OP Offline
T
It was the TSX, not the TTSX. I have heard that the TTSX is questionable in a 1-12" twist. I will try them to see though based on what you are saying. Impressive.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by strosfann
She sounds like a well-raised young lady. Congrats to you both.

Thank you, sir. I am a proud father for many reasons besides this.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Congratulations to both of you. Wonderful story.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Congrats to you both. I have used the Barnes 53gr TSX in both 1:12 and 1:8 twist and it works well in both. It will break both shoulders and exit. I have shot it in a hard quartering shot that went in the ham and exited in front of the opposite shoulder on a 185 lb 8 point at about 80 yards. The closest shot has been about 5 yards and the longest just over 200 and performance has been perfect

Last edited by pacecars; 12/28/20.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I load the 53’s for 8 year old grandson in a 1 in 12 -223. They have been killing what he shoots. I load the 62 TTSX for the 1in 8 twist rifles. It also kills very well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 26 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.