M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
mud dabbers?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by szihn
That's about the 8th one I have heard of, shot with Federal ammo in the last 10 years.

One was a handgun. Federal 158 grain round nose 38 Special. The shooter was me. Gun blew up in my hand. I was only cut lightly on my right thumb, but the gun was a total loss.

The others were all rifles and all but one were shot with Federal Premium Ammo. The one exception was a 243, an old Herders J9 rifle and was shot with the "blue box" ammo.

I saw one blow at the Shoshoni Range. Shooter was injured but come out OK. He had some deep cuts on his left hand and and blood from his face, but his eyes were ok. That was a Remington M700 in 270 Winchester caliber. That was the 1st one in fact, about 10 years ago. He was from Iowa and came to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. Poor guy, when I talking to him he was saying he was just going to drive back home the following day.

The others were guns I was shown or told about.

So this is a problem Federal is obviously not paying the needed level of attention to.

I've had some very hot Federal Premium loads. Most recently a box .300RUM trophy bonded 180 grain that was 200 fps over the velocity on the box, stuck the bolt, and blew a primer. Also had one in .300 WSM that flattened a primer and bolt was sticky. Both were fired on hot days but the ammo was in the shade.

------------------------
John
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Ive never had a rifle blow up but isnt it odd that there doesnt seem to be any damage to the barrel? I remember a few years ago hearing about some Tikka's self destructing. I think the problem was traced to inferior metal. That shouldnt apply here though. Certainly hope they can figure it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Gotta ask if the shooter was wearing eye protection.

PSA that you really should wear something when shooting. Eyes are nearly impossible to replace.

May not have helped with the way that action came apart, but just the same.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
From what I can tell, that's a pre-64 model... I can see half of the spent case sitting in the chamber.. Barrel appears mostly undamaged - just the receiver blew, right at the area where the base of the case is/was, so I kinda doubt the previous round obstructed the bore or else it would have 'peeled' - as another poster mentioned above.. I'm also thinking it may have been ammo-related and not the rifle..

I'm so sorry to hear of the injuries to the shooter.. Dang..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is one HELL of a detonation. I think a barrel obstruction would have manifested itself differently , but this most definitively needs to be looked at by professionals.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GeoW
Ammo could have been tampered with.. by someone with an axe to grind.

No doubt. I have seen people opening ammo boxes and looking at ???? at stores that have them on the shelf. When I was guiding elk clients, twice I caught a hunter comparing ammo and fiddling with stuff, and returned them to the wrong box. I had a rule after that , no ammo was to handled while doing anything but hunting. This was especially hazardous as a few of us had wildcat calibers using some parent brass that was head stamped incorrectly for the wildcat caliber. I quit wildcats after that. One client fired a 30-06 in a 308 Norma Magnum. Blew the extractor off and locked up the bolt.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Where was the factory ammo purchased?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One thing that doesn't seem quiet right with the rifle is the area where the bolt lug shoulders on the action that is sheared away.

When you close the bolt the bolt lugs are up and down (top & bottom), so I expected to see a bunch of white raw metal where it was sheared away provided that the bolt was closed.
But here I see blue color ? Maybe there was a crack in the lug area that let the bolt move back to where the shell was unsupported and blew.

The area I'm describing is here.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GeoW
Ammo could have been tampered with.. by someone with an axe to grind.

Based upon the way the action blew apart yet the barrel looks “fine” makes me think the same thing. Either Federal screwed the pooch big time or some cock sucker intentionally sabotaged the box of ammo. A 7mm case full or half full of pistol powder could cause a hell of a lot of damage.

I’m sorry to hear of the damage done to the shooter. It would seem that he didn’t do anything wrong and wasn’t careless which makes it a sad situation for him. There by the grace of God...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
One thing that doesn't seem quiet right with the rifle

I'd guess burned powder covered the metal edges that tore open leaving a blackened appearance, but I had wondered about prior cracks as well.

LOL
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Does the remaining headstamp of the case in the barrel match those in the box? Is any of the caliber headstamp remaining? Are all the remaining cartridges identical?

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad that this guy got so badly injured through apparantly no fault of his own.

Hope this might be a lesson to all , wear that eye protection any time you are shooting or are around shooting

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Side question: under the same circumstances, would the Mauser design have possibly prevented loss of the eye?

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Hard to say. Headspace issue? Maybe a long piece of brass snuck through during manufacturing. One of the lugs appears to be sheared off the bolt.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
One thing that doesn't seem quiet right with the rifle ]

Been 30 years since I listened to Quiet Riot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snow, water, mud? Fire in the normal fashion or detonate as one was taking the bolt home?

Last edited by 1minute; 12/28/20.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
From what I can tell, that's a pre-64 model... I can see half of the spent case sitting in the chamber.. Barrel appears mostly undamaged - just the receiver blew, right at the area where the base of the case is/was, so I kinda doubt the previous round obstructed the bore or else it would have 'peeled' - as another poster mentioned above.. I'm also thinking it may have been ammo-related and not the rifle..

I'm so sorry to hear of the injuries to the shooter.. Dang..

I agree the action kind of looks like a pre-64 but the barrel does not. That and I'm pretty certain 7mm Rem Mags were never offered in the pre-64s Model 70s.

OP... any details on when and if the rifle has been recently re-barreled? Any other recent work done to it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MM879
mud dabbers?

Originally Posted by 1minute
Snow, water, mud?

Are you people suggesting that either mud dauber wasps built a nest in between rounds at the range, or that snow water or mud otherwise accumulated in the barrel during that time?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A second look it appears to be a problem in the barrel thread area. Wrong thread or torque.

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.