Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that and thanks. You are probably right. Gonna strip er down tomorrow. Any tell tale signs if it’s a bansner handle or not?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
It’s a light little bugger. Stock definitely has that brown feel to it. I’m struggling with stripping the whole sumbitch down, ie; the fugly paint or just leaving it. 😂😂

I'd get all the small issues sorted out and working well. Leave the rest as is.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd probably just strip the bolt head and action railways until it was smooth and play with it for a while before stripping it all down. Maybe put some Burris XTR 2 piece bases on it. Make some dummy rounds and see how it feeds, handles, and balances. Could be a nice little working rifle with minimal work to it. Enjoy it Judman!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Judman
Copy that and thanks. You are probably right. Gonna strip er down tomorrow. Any tell tale signs if it’s a bansner handle or not?

If it’s a Bansner it’ll be kinda blue colored when you strip the paint off of it. Otherwise I’m just going by the shape which looks spot on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ad says "custom woodland paint job" and that certainly is a pretty special paint job. Very curious to how it shoots, because that's all that really matters. Although if it was mine, I'd want something a little less "custom" looking.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
The ad says "custom woodland paint job" and that certainly is a pretty special paint job. Very curious to how it shoots, because that's all that really matters. Although if it was mine, I'd want something a little less "custom" looking.

It’s custom alright!! I’ll get er squared away,

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would like to find a 9.3x57 myself. I have a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 and a Mannlicher 1905 in 9x56 as well as a BLR in 358. I love the 35s but just can't bring myself to buy 2 guns of the same caliber. I guess that makes me a certified rifle looney

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gettin er stripped down, looks like someone sandblasted the scope??
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Gonna run er up to Olympia for sandblasting/Cerakoting, stock headed out to Montesano to nw Hydroprint to get stripped/dipped.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Stock is pillar bedded, lug and shank bedded. Someone definitely put some love into er, then fuucked it up with a shiit paint job. Should shape up good when I’m done..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]sad best friend poems that make you cry

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Barrel is a 16” twist, per stamped on the bottom of the snout

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s a brown hiding under there.

I’m sticking with the idea a nephew inherited it and went nuts with Krylon.

Looks like you got yourself a nice one.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m thinkin brown too.. should be cool once I get the scuz off it!! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Judman, that's gonna turn out a very nice little rifle for the money.

The magic of the 358, is that it isn't reliant on velocity to instantly anchor very large game.

In my world, genetically, the upper Yukon River tributaries produce bigger bodied bull moose than the bulls I've shot in unit 13.

Harder longer winters, more wolves, more tape worm, less browse, deeper snow.

They're also TOUGHER. They do not die as easily and fill the meat cache with more meat. They never have much fat like the unit 13 bulls because they have a harder life.

Anyone who says that bull moose are easy to kill, have not hunted the big bodied ones, or are smoking crack mother fkn cocaine.

My bull this year, took a 350 grain swift 41 caliber bullet at 2100 fps, and came back to 10 minutes later as I walked up on him. Had the bullet exited, he would 've bled out and died.

In the 358 winchester, 275 grain woodleigh bullets downed an even larger bull than this many years ago. They would actually exit a broadside bull, bleeding him out.

The handload was 42 grains of reloader 10 x giving 2200 fps from a 20" barreled savage 99.

I typically don't lung-shoot these big bulls, because they'll end up running into the river or a swamp hole, making field dressing miserable.

The 358 winchester, will send 275 grainers square through the front end of a big bull moose, anchoring them high n dry on the river bank.

Aside from the extended range advantage of the 9.3x62 mauser, within 300 yards, there is no difference in kill power between the two.

Both Jack O'connor and Elmer Keith wrote of the 358 Winchester with the kindest, most thoughtful words.

So too, did Craig Boddington after a shiras moose hunt in a guns and ammo article I read at 20 yrs old, which is why i ended up with one at 21 years of age, my first Alaskan big game rifle.

Arrogant, snobbish fk heads on here like "Brad" will tell you the medium bores are about useless.

The interest in the 358 winchester proves otherwise. There are countless threads started, on over a dozen forums with thousands of positive replies.

Guys like Yukon254, his son, and myself have found the 358 winchester to be flat out lethal and handy, with plenty of range on the biggest of game.

When your 358 is finished, take it hunting anywhere you want, you won't regret it. From 200 grain ttsx blistering out the barrel at 2700 fps in the windy mountains or tundra, to 275 grain woodleighs sailing through big bull moose front quarters along a class lll white water tributary of the Yukon River, the 358 won't disappoint.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great write up Mainer, people who flip their lip simply haven’t used a medium bore. Bought my first 358 over 25 years ago, first custom was a whelen, nothing fancy, no drama, no turrets, just hunt, and they’ll hammer shiit....

PS, I’ve (3) 358’s and a whelen in the stable now... 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll post pics when it’s done, it’ll be a dandy hammer when I’m done ✅

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That is a great deal on that rifle. It's a shame it's not a little faster twist but that's a small issue.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya be curious to see if they shoot my 225 smk/tac load

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ken,

I see you still have my old Remmy .358... smile Don't know what ever possessed me to sell that... blush But I still have 6 other rifles in .358 Win. Including a M-7 MS Custom shop, a Ruger 77 Flat bolt, and a Montana Rifleman ASR. And I still have a new Douglas bbl for LR Mauser, and New Pac-Nor blank. So I can build two more. Also have a M-660 up to the "Wizard of Turtle rd." being bored to .358 (1~14") twist.

All my rifles are 1~12" twist with the exception of the Ruger and that is a 1~16" and that one absolutely refuses to group any bullet longer than a 200 gr Spire Point. frown Best to you - GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That’s kinda what I was thinkin. Might have to try some Hornadys

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Quote: "Ya be curious to see if they shoot my 225 smk/tac load"

If the rifle in question is a 1~12" twist, probably will... If it's 1~16", probably not.

I don't believe I've ever found any data for the .358 with Tac, Do you have a starting load?

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s 16”, hence my post. Ya tac 50 gr and go up 225 sgk. They work

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.