Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've bedded quite a few rifles thru the years using Accraglass. I'm about to make my 1st attempt using Devcon 10110. Can you guys tell me what you use to clean up this product with? Will anything cut it or thin it? Thnaks in advance 163bc

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Acraglass for hunting rifles and Devcon for bench rifles I have never felt the need to have anything cut it or thin it, maybe I don't understand your question.
Phil

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cleanup is no different from any other epoxy. Alcohol, acetone, or vinegar will do the job.

As far as thinning, I doubt the manufacturer of Devcon would recommend it. IIRC, Devcon aluminum came in both putty and liquid forms, and some gunsmiths would use the putty for the bulk of the bedding, then a thin top coat with the liquid. I've bedded a few rifles with Devcon, but it was years ago.

I stopped using Devcon when the price went sky high. All epoxy got expensive, but Devcon went just crazy.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 12/08/20. Reason: I make no claim to being an "expert"

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess cut or thin was the wrong way to phrase the question. I'm looking to see what is best to use to clean it and be able to get it off a stock or anything else that I don't intend for it to be on without damage. I've always had good luck w vinegar and was wondering if there was a magic formula for Devcon? Thanks for the replies. Sam

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Clean up for me, is getting it off as soon as possible before it has time to set up. I use Q-tips and go around everything I can see. You can make your last pass with WD40 on the Q-tip and it will not hurt you stock finish (or at least the ones I have done). All the other Q-tips were dry except for the last pass.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I'm bedding a finished stock, I tape the exterior of the stock anyplace that the epoxy might go. I clean the majority of the excess epoxy with Qtips. After it is dry and I've pulled the barreled action, I carefully file the unwanted epoxy with a metal file down to the tape, then pull the tape.
Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TenX
If I'm bedding a finished stock, I tape the exterior of the stock anyplace that the epoxy might go. I clean the majority of the excess epoxy with Qtips. After it is dry and I've pulled the barreled action, I carefully file the unwanted epoxy with a metal file down to the tape, then pull the tape.
Phil

Yep. This is a good way to go.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't really "thin" the epoxy, but I seem to have had decent results heating the material (JB or Devcon) with an incandescent lamp before application. Seems to make it flow a little better and reduces bubbles. Or maybe it's because my wife keeps the house so damn cold....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What to you guys use for a mold release?

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Johnson's Paste Wax. Avoid anything containing silicone.

Plug gaps with plumbers' putty or beeswax. I've found that kids' play clay is too greasy, makes a mess. Artists' modeling clay is good too. Get it at a crafts store.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
good info guys thank you

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use AcraRelease spray. I've always felt it will do a better job of getting into small places that my fingers can't get into to spread a wax. Makes me less nervous. Costs a lot more but really?
Phil

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I usually use RENAISSANCE WAX and have never had any issues with it. I'm sure Johnson's works just as well. Next one I do I'm going to try this aerosol can of LPS Dry Film PTFE. Supposed used in industry as a mold release.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Johnson's paste wax for a release agent, be careful with the vinegar it will pit metal if not completely removed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I use AcraRelease spray. I've always felt it will do a better job of getting into small places that my fingers can't get into to spread a wax. Makes me less nervous. Costs a lot more but really?
Phil

Hornady one shot case lube is easier to find and works just as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Phil

Hornady one shot case lube is easier to find and works just as well.

Hornady here as well, always works.

Yup.
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you gentlemen for all the replies and feedback. I used the Devcon 10110 and it turned out quite nice. I used Johnson paste wax as release agent. Acetone for minor clean up. Rem oil worked good to clean up the paste wax. Not a lot different than Acraglass but the grey color matched up w my stock perfectly. Good Shooting

Last edited by 163bc; 12/14/20.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
My technique with Devcon is the same as it is for Acraglass. The only thing I have learned about bedding in recent years is that the chemical reaction requires heat to allow the epoxy to set correctly, so if the metal is too cold, the epoxy will not achieve full strength. Learned that from the excellent book by Hambly-Clark.

I use clear boot wax on everything I don’t want the devcon to stick to, and q tips to clean up the stuff that squished out. Does a beautiful job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,147
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.