Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Steve

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
LBK i wish the best for Nan and You . i enjoy going on your hunt with both of you

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Steve, just saw this! Prayers to Nan for a full and complete recovery, then the two of you will have your best year ever in Anticosti.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife just said a BIG thank you to all. One way or another she will get through this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Longboard,

I understand your situation. Two of my friends had strokes in the last two years and pulled through with family support, physical therapy and lifestyle changes.
You have Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in you neck of the woods and they have great resources.
Be patient, it takes time to move the dial after a stroke.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
THANK YOU for your concern

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LBK,

I love the Anticosti pictures and stories too. My dad and I always wanted to hunt there but we never did it.

Nan is in my prayers, I’ll be praying for excellent care and a speedy recovery!

Mike

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do NOT let life slip by. I have hunted Oregon Twice with my nephew in Dexter Oregon. Once for turkeys' and had the pleasure of meeting Al Kesterson. Owner of the Big K ranch, and the other for Blacktails. If Anticosti is something you want to do OR if there is something else. Do it while you can.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
If Anticosti is something you want to do OR if there is something else. Do it while you can.

Sage advice that hardly anyone takes...

the world is full of old men sitting on a pile of money saying " I always wanted to do that...but never could...."

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do NOT let life slip by. --- If Anticosti is something you want to do OR if there is something else. Do it while you can.

Good advice. I remember my Dad at my current age (69) as cancer was taking him away saying "there were so many things I wanted to do but never took the time and now I never will". Something I recall at least once or twice a month.

Longbeardking -- I really enjoyed your write up on Anticosti and I hope a return is in your future.

Hugh
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HughW
Do NOT let life slip by. --- If Anticosti is something you want to do OR if there is something else. Do it while you can.

Good advice. I remember my Dad at my current age (69) as cancer was taking him away saying "there were so many things I wanted to do but never took the time and now I never will". Something I recall at least once or twice a month.

Longbeardking -- I really enjoyed your write up on Anticosti and I hope a return is in your future.

It seems we all have a memory or three like that. Thanks to EVERYONE for the kind words and encouragement.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I do not know if anyone has seen this but the folks who are interested in Anticosti may find this interesting though not enjoyable. It is about the decline of the Anticosti deer herd. While I am not going to argue the numbers its finding of a sharp downward trend is consistent with what I have seen. I am attaching the link which is in French ( I do not know if it still good). I will follow it with and English translation. A friend sent me this last February.

http://www.msn.com/fr-ca/actualites/quebec-canada/d%c3%a9clin-marqu%c3%a9-des-cerfs-de-virginie-sur-l%c3%aele-danticosti/ar-BBZAird?li=AAgh0dy

The white-tailed deer herd of Anticosti Island has suffered a decline of almost 80% in a decade, reveals the most recent inventory carried out by the Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks (MFFP). A situation that ministry biologists essentially attribute to a series of harsh winters. But the mayor of the island, John Pineault, believes that managing logging is part of the problem. The white-tailed deer, which are closely associated with the image of Anticosti, were around 166,000 during the inventory carried out by the MFFP in 2006. However, in August 2018, the inventory of the ministry made it possible to estimate the about 37,000 animals. This represents a 78% decrease over a 12-year period. Although the ministry’s document notes a "noticeable" reduction in deer density on the island, it adds that the population "can vary significantly from year to year." Thus, during severe winters, we can observe "high mortality", while the following year, "mild" temperatures can encourage an increase in the number of animals. It must be said that this population of deer, introduced to the island at the end of the 19th century by the owner of the time, Henri Menier, has no natural predators on Anticosti. And hunters have slaughtered approximately between 6,000 and 8,000 deer per year since 2006. It would therefore be the harsh and particularly snowy winters, six in number between 2006 and 2018, which would have caused the decline observed by the MFFP. In light of the results of the 2018 inventory, the ministry stresses that "although the situation requires vigilance, it is not yet worrying". "The results of the inventory and the data coming from the monitoring indicators will be taken into consideration in the application of the integrated management strategy for the resources of the forest environment of Anticosti Island", also specifies the report of inventory.

In a written response sent on Sunday, the MFFP said that logging, which is around 100,000 cubic meters per year, has "no negative impact" on the island's deer. What is more, these cuts are necessary to "restore" the habitat of the species, in particular by subsequently establishing "exclos", these fenced areas to which the deer do not have access, long enough to let the vegetation grow back . The Société des establishments de plein air du Québec (SEPAQ), which hosts hunters on Anticosti in particular, replies that it relies "with confidence on the expertise of the MFFP" for cervid management. The organization added that "hunting has very little impact on the evolution of the livestock", but also that deer are "particularly resilient" on this island of 7,900 km2. forestry.

John Pineault, however, says that blaming the decline of white-tailed deer primarily on the harsh winter conditions on the island is "very simplistic." "We are not talking at all about the forest management of the last twenty years. But in the west of the island, the cuts have had a significant impact "on the deer, said Pineault. "We see it. We see a lot less deer now. "

The mayor therefore pleads for an adaptation of the cuts, according to the peculiarities of the island, but also of the lifestyle of these island deer, in particular by the regeneration of certain areas which could facilitate the feeding of deer. To target these priority areas for deer, John Pineault considers that the inventory should have been made during the winter period, in order to clearly delimit the areas frequented by the animals during this critical period for their survival. The most recent inventory was rather conducted in the middle of summer. According to the various echoes that he says he has obtained over time, the "capacity" of reception on the island would be around 80,000 to 100,000 deer. “Yes, the deer is a species introduced on Anticosti. But it is above all a species that has allowed human beings to live there for a hundred years. And these are animals that are very important today in the economy of the island, "said Mr. Pineault. Gaétan Laprise, who has been a wildlife technician on Anticosti for several years, believes that a lower density of deer allows the anticostian forest to regenerate. “Less deer allows the flora to regenerate better, more abundant. This provides better nutrition which benefits the deer and improves its survival and reproduction. We therefore risk continuing to have fluctuating population fluctuations. "

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
They lost me at "slaughtered"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NE_Hunter
I do not know if anyone has seen this but the folks who are interested in Anticosti may find this interesting though not enjoyable. It is about the decline of the Anticosti deer herd. While I am not going to argue the numbers its finding of a sharp downward trend is consistent with what I have seen. I am attaching the link which is in French ( I do not know if it still good). I will follow it with and English translation. A friend sent me this last February.

http://www.msn.com/fr-ca/actualites/quebec-canada/d%c3%a9clin-marqu%c3%a9-des-cerfs-de-virginie-sur-l%c3%aele-danticosti/ar-BBZAird?li=AAgh0dy

The white-tailed deer herd of Anticosti Island has suffered a decline of almost 80% in a decade, reveals the most recent inventory carried out by the Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks (MFFP). A situation that ministry biologists essentially attribute to a series of harsh winters. But the mayor of the island, John Pineault, believes that managing logging is part of the problem. The white-tailed deer, which are closely associated with the image of Anticosti, were around 166,000 during the inventory carried out by the MFFP in 2006. However, in August 2018, the inventory of the ministry made it possible to estimate the about 37,000 animals. This represents a 78% decrease over a 12-year period. Although the ministry’s document notes a "noticeable" reduction in deer density on the island, it adds that the population "can vary significantly from year to year." Thus, during severe winters, we can observe "high mortality", while the following year, "mild" temperatures can encourage an increase in the number of animals. It must be said that this population of deer, introduced to the island at the end of the 19th century by the owner of the time, Henri Menier, has no natural predators on Anticosti. And hunters have slaughtered approximately between 6,000 and 8,000 deer per year since 2006. It would therefore be the harsh and particularly snowy winters, six in number between 2006 and 2018, which would have caused the decline observed by the MFFP. In light of the results of the 2018 inventory, the ministry stresses that "although the situation requires vigilance, it is not yet worrying". "The results of the inventory and the data coming from the monitoring indicators will be taken into consideration in the application of the integrated management strategy for the resources of the forest environment of Anticosti Island", also specifies the report of inventory.

In a written response sent on Sunday, the MFFP said that logging, which is around 100,000 cubic meters per year, has "no negative impact" on the island's deer. What is more, these cuts are necessary to "restore" the habitat of the species, in particular by subsequently establishing "exclos", these fenced areas to which the deer do not have access, long enough to let the vegetation grow back . The Société des establishments de plein air du Québec (SEPAQ), which hosts hunters on Anticosti in particular, replies that it relies "with confidence on the expertise of the MFFP" for cervid management. The organization added that "hunting has very little impact on the evolution of the livestock", but also that deer are "particularly resilient" on this island of 7,900 km2. forestry.

John Pineault, however, says that blaming the decline of white-tailed deer primarily on the harsh winter conditions on the island is "very simplistic." "We are not talking at all about the forest management of the last twenty years. But in the west of the island, the cuts have had a significant impact "on the deer, said Pineault. "We see it. We see a lot less deer now. "

The mayor therefore pleads for an adaptation of the cuts, according to the peculiarities of the island, but also of the lifestyle of these island deer, in particular by the regeneration of certain areas which could facilitate the feeding of deer. To target these priority areas for deer, John Pineault considers that the inventory should have been made during the winter period, in order to clearly delimit the areas frequented by the animals during this critical period for their survival. The most recent inventory was rather conducted in the middle of summer. According to the various echoes that he says he has obtained over time, the "capacity" of reception on the island would be around 80,000 to 100,000 deer. “Yes, the deer is a species introduced on Anticosti. But it is above all a species that has allowed human beings to live there for a hundred years. And these are animals that are very important today in the economy of the island, "said Mr. Pineault. Gaétan Laprise, who has been a wildlife technician on Anticosti for several years, believes that a lower density of deer allows the anticostian forest to regenerate. “Less deer allows the flora to regenerate better, more abundant. This provides better nutrition which benefits the deer and improves its survival and reproduction. We therefore risk continuing to have fluctuating population fluctuations. "

Very good well written/thought out response.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1lesfox, 44mc, 219DW, 007FJ, 35, 12 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,698
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.