Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stone glacier serac or Avail if within your budget. The Kuiu 1850 is another good choice. Lots of pockets and side pockets. Run it without the frame for day hunts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I’ve looked at some of the brands mentioned often on here. Hill people, mystery ranch, kifaru. They all seem to be built for long term pack trips.

I am not quite following you here. Most all the hunting pack companies, and those three in particular, make smaller packs designed specifically for day trips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Tensing lumbar pack to carry from my atv to my stands. It has a lot of pockets which was one of your requirements. I have a badlands superday pack that has plenty of pocket space as well. My mystery ranch pack is really nice for a walk in day hunt and meat hauler but it doesnt have a lot of pockets as I assume many of the really high quality packs dont as well as pockets mean added weight. If your up in a treestand you sure dont need to be digging into a pack for gear you just want to unzip a pocket and grab what you want out. The packs promoted as treestand packs seem to gave a lot of pockets.
I have a cabelas lumbar pack that is slightly smaller than the Tensing and it is great if I am carrying just a few items to get me thru a few hours in the stand.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an Alps pack that has worked well for me. I hunt woods also. I don't think it's made in the usa though.

When still hunting, I don't carry a pack.

Edit:. When still hunting, most of the time I don't even carry a rifle, so take me advice for what it's worth.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

Last edited by goalie; 12/31/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I’ve looked at some of the brands mentioned often on here. Hill people, mystery ranch, kifaru. They all seem to be built for long term pack trips.

I am not quite following you here. Most all the hunting pack companies, and those three in particular, make smaller packs designed specifically for day trips.

I’ve never held or seen any of those brands . Just going by the pics on their websites.

What i mean, seems those packs are larger size. One big pack, maybe 1 smaller pocket. Meat haulers or for camping gear.

If’n That makes more sense.

I’ll look at more of their models.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Has anyone figured out how to shoulder a rifle with a backpack on? I have not. In the whitetail woods of the SE, this is a concern.

Last edited by turkish; 12/31/20.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
[quote=turkish]Has anyone figured out how to shoulder a rifle with a backpack on? I have not. In the whitetail woods of the SE, this is a concern. [/quote

Sling pack

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does one want to pack halves, or camping gear? If meat, then any solid frame with good straps and an even better hip belt. Have three 70's vintage external frame Sierras. The first time I tried to load an elk quarter, I cut the bags off and have never looked back.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/31/20.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dave I like this x1 eberlestock, think it’s bout right, for traveling your rifle is nice and outta the way, real comfortable
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Eberlestock has been mentioned a couple times.

USA made?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell I dunno? Have to look I guess

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Also love this mystery ranch scapegoat too
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]m middle names

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
#cant hide money. 😂😬😂

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Appears reading comprehension isn't my strong suit. The Tenzing I mentioned most certainly isn't an American made product.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fuuck is anything made in America anymore?? 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any good backpacks for deer hunting?

I’ve been using a Walmart Camo pack. It’s starting to come apart.

Something made in USA.

This will be for morning and evening hunts. Nothing long term.

Looking for a bunch of pockets.

I’ve got a Tactical Tailor pack. Quality. But only main pocket and 1 small pocket.

Thanks!

If your old pack has a frame, just ditch the pack part and bungee a zip up kinda bag to and what ever else you need. A lot of times for metal detecting trips I'll just bungee a 5 gallon platic bucket with a lid to the pack frame. To use it for hunting then you've even got the bucket to use for a seat if you need it.

Last edited by JackRyan; 12/31/20.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No frame.

It’s one of those Fieldline brand that the Walmart’s sells.

Some of the threads are busting on one of the shoulder straps.

Too many snacks, sammiches, and can drinks i guess. 🤪

Dave

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No clue where it's made but I used an Elevation Forester Lumbar pack this year. It holds plenty for what you are talking about. It's setup well and easy to find stuff since the pack isn't as deep as a backpack. I've used the smaller badlands packs too without issues.
https://elevationequipped.com/product-category/hunt/packs-hunt/

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Eberlestock packs are made in Vietnam (as are Osprey). If you're looking for a pack to haul your gear in pockets and compartments from the truck to the stand and don't plan on packing an animal, get on Amazon and search tactical assault packs to your hearts content...not enough pockets...no problem...most of them come with Molle webbing so you can add on more...of course they're all coming from China though.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/31/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I’ve never held or seen any of those brands . Just going by the pics on their websites.

What i mean, seems those packs are larger size. One big pack, maybe 1 smaller pocket. Meat haulers or for camping gear.

If’n That makes more sense.

I’ll look at more of their models.

Gotcha.
Pics can be deceiving, for sure. Look at the cubic inches, or their intended purpose. Anything under 1500-2000 cubic inches is what I at least, consider a daypack.
I roll with a Kifaru Shapecharge and a 14r, both are a touch over 2000 CI, but are designed for day hunts.
https://kifaru.net/product-category/packs/day-packs/

Mystery Ranch and a few others make solid day packs. The Elberleestock X2 I had would have been a decent daypack, but it couldn't haul much weight before making my back ache pretty badly. For just carrying normal loads though, it was fine.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,848
Posts18,496,962
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.