Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm looking for genuine military issue ECW boots known as Mikey Mouse boots. I can find them but nothing larger than size 8
I need 11's. Any help??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are all over the place here... the thrift stores usually have them cheap.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ebay and Mil Surplus stores.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I got mine at a yard sale a couple years ago for $5 bucks. They were in like new condition.

They're great I highly recommend. Good luck in your search.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The back ones or whit ones?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw them used in Korea usually at guard stations, but never owned a pair myself. We called them Little Abner boots, but Mickey Mouse is the more proper nomenclature.

From care instructions: The air release valve on the outside of the boot equalizes air pressure at different altitudes. To reduce boot swelling and foot discomfort, open the valve allowing pressure to escape. Back at lower altitudes, close again. Be sure to keep closed, except while airborne, to eliminate moisture penetration. DO NOT TAMPER WITH AIR VALVE. USE ONLY WHEN NEEDED!

Last edited by 1minute; 12/29/20.

1Minute
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Try the Disney Store!😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve never owned any. I tried finding some 20 plus years ago and couldn’t find anything bigger than about an 8 back then. I was told finding 13’s would be about impossible. The impression that I got was that what surplus there is left is only the very small sizes everything else sold years ago.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I can find them but nothing larger than size 8, Color doesn't really matter

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Knowing less than nothing about cold weather, I went on a shopping binge in Seattle before I went to Alaska nearly a half century ago...bought a whole bunch of useless greenhorn schidt including the Mickey Mouse boots. First payday I went to town and bought the gear I should have to begin with and threw all the junk away when I got back out to the job. Maybe there is a place for the MM boots, they sure are warm...too warm for an active worker. My feet sweated bad, and then they would get cold. Maybe other guys had better luck, but I was happy with layers of real wool under Carhartts, X-tra Tuffs with wool felt insoles or Sorels when it got colder.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I got mine at a yard sale a couple years ago for $5 bucks. They were in like new condition.

They're great I highly recommend. Good luck in your search.

Ever wear them while sitting in a $10K massage chair?

That would be something.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My BIL insisted that the valve was to blow air into the boot to increase the insulation value. I told him that it was only for airborne operations and he told me I did not know what I was talking about even though I took winter survival training at Fort Wainwright in January 1969. I just laughed at him and really chuckled when he put plastic bags over his feet while wearing the boots. I can tell you that the white bunny boots will keep you feet in good shape at temps as low as -60F. The 2 winters I spent in Anchorage after leaving the Army the Sorrell Pac boots kept my feet warm and comfy just fine. I never found the need for the bunny boots in Anchorage.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
mine are size 9 ,, not for sale..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Black boots and the White Boots are not the same, its not just different colors. You want the white ones. Wore them in Alaska for a few years. Great piece of gear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The black boots - Mickeys, are for cold wet climates and good down to about -20* F or so. You can getcherself a pair of Muck Arctic Sports and be just as well off or better.

The white boots - bunnies, are for extreme cold, dry climates and are good down to about -70 F. You can getcherself a pair of Baffins that will keep your feet warm to lower temperatures and they'll be fairly dry and breathe a bit. You should be changing socks about every 4-6 with bunny and Mickey boots.

My experience with them is that the sizes run a little large. I wear size 11 normally, but a size 10 bunny fits me just fine with a thin pair of wool socks as they are designed to be worn. I've never gotten cold feet wearing them, but I generally don't care for them unless I know I'm going to be snow-machining on rivers and sloughs where I could encounter overflow.

I never wore the Mickeys. We were issued Mickeys in ROK along with other cold weather gear, yet we froze our asses because we were forbidden to wear any of it. One of those perfect examples of "Army intelligence" at work.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
The Black boots and the White Boots are not the same, its not just different colors. You want the white ones. Wore them in Alaska for a few years. Great piece of gear.

Primary difference between black and white:
Black is solvent proof rubber and diesel and gas do not tear them up.

White boots are done in very short order around solvents...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stevelyn
The black boots - Mickeys, are for cold wet climates and good down to about -20* F or so. You can getcherself a pair of Muck Arctic Sports and be just as well off or better.

The white boots - bunnies, are for extreme cold, dry climates and are good down to about -70 F. You can getcherself a pair of Baffins that will keep your feet warm to lower temperatures and they'll be fairly dry and breathe a bit. You should be changing socks about every 4-6 with bunny and Mickey boots.

My experience with them is that the sizes run a little large. I wear size 11 normally, but a size 10 bunny fits me just fine with a thin pair of wool socks as they are designed to be worn. I've never gotten cold feet wearing them, but I generally don't care for them unless I know I'm going to be snow-machining on rivers and sloughs where I could encounter overflow.

I never wore the Mickeys. We were issued Mickeys in ROK along with other cold weather gear, yet we froze our asses because we were forbidden to wear any of it. One of those perfect examples of "Army intelligence" at work.

The black ones are smaller by a little bit and probably not as good for deep cold, but not by much.

March of '70 hunting caribou at Sourdough I froze my big toe, right side, in white bunny boots. But it was cold...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lived in the white bunny boots for 18 months while I was stationed at Ft Richardson. (Site Summit) One of man's greatest inventions.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Knowing less than nothing about cold weather, I went on a shopping binge in Seattle before I went to Alaska nearly a half century ago...bought a whole bunch of useless greenhorn schidt including the Mickey Mouse boots. First payday I went to town and bought the gear I should have to begin with and threw all the junk away when I got back out to the job. Maybe there is a place for the MM boots, they sure are warm...too warm for an active worker. My feet sweated bad, and then they would get cold. Maybe other guys had better luck, but I was happy with layers of real wool under Carhartts, X-tra Tuffs with wool felt insoles or Sorels when it got colder.

Yup...
The bunny boots were too hot and cumbersome when working the flightline. Most of us wore the mukluks which were just as warm and lighter to wear. I kept my bunny boots stored in my A3 mobility bag along with the rest of my artic survival gear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn

I'd like to see that put to a test.
Better? doubtful, equivalent or even close would be just awesome. The only true test would be to fill them with water in subzero temps and see if you freeze any toes.

The Mucks are great boots but saying they are equivalent is a huge statement.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The black ones are smaller by a little bit and probably not as good for deep cold, but not by much.

I wore the black ones religiously for 25 winters trapping and hunting and did put them to the test in -30 and possibly even a little colder weather and always had warm feet. Just chose the black ones due to the outer shell being a little smaller.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

March of '70 hunting caribou at Sourdough I froze my big toe, right side, in white bunny boots. But it was cold...

First time I have heard anyone say that, it musta been hella cold!

I found myself in trouble twice in subzero temps, neither time was I wearing my MM boots, both times I'd gotten wet going in over the top of one boot, both times I was basically with in sight of the house and just out screwing around.

Once, it was the Sorel 100 below's, the upper canvas part of the boot thawed pretty quick and separated from that thick inner liner to where I could slip it off, thawing the inner liner to where I could get it off took some time. Those boots hold a lot of water.

Gotta love it when that great insulated liner is keeping the heat away from your foot while you're trying to keep from loosing a toe to frostbite!

The other time was a completely stupid move wearing Xtratuffs.
They do thaw quicker but due to being tighter fitting getting them off over thick wool socks that are frozen to your foot took just as long as the Sorels.

First time I got wet wearing Mickey Mouse boots I was ice fishing on a 25 below day, slipped into a old drilled hole that had blown over with snow.
First thought was to get back to the snow machine and get out of the wet socks and put on dry.
Never did it, the wet socks just didn't matter, stayed as warm as I did with dry socks.
Mickey Mouse boots save toes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.