Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I like the reliability, so far, of handheld GPS units and was looking at buying another one during the recent sales. However, they are starting to seem archaic, often hard to use, poor support, eat up batteries and now seem quite expensive for what you get. Haven't tried using the cellphone Apps yet, but they look pretty slick. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Leatherneck; 12/28/20.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
User interface has sucked for decades. At least in the Garmins I've had and used. Pretty much use OnX on my phone.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Does the cellphone app seem just as reliable in terms acquiring signal in deep woods?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started using OnX this year. You save the map where you're going to hunt while at home with good signal and then use it "offline" when you get to where you're going. Worked perfectly for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Comparing Onx on my phone vs an Onx chip in my Garmin, the Garmin is considerably more accurate. However, for the most part coming within 3' vs 20' is usually a non issue for recreational use.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use both OnX and a Garmin 600-somehting but find I use OnX more and more - probably 95% or more at this point. It is now pretty much a backup for OnX.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Comparing Onx on my phone vs an Onx chip in my Garmin, the Garmin is considerably more accurate. However, for the most part coming within 3' vs 20' is usually a non issue for recreational use.

I have a Garmin Oregon something or another. I wonder if it can be upgraded with the chip?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think all of the Garmins have an mini-SD slot for a chip. In my Montana, it fits under the battery.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The chip in a Garmin will look a lot different than Onx on a phone and it wont have satellite view unless you pay extra for the Birdseye view.

― George Orwell

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Teeder

I have a Garmin Oregon something or another. I wonder if it can be upgraded with the chip?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Teeder

I have the Onx chip in a Garmin Dakota. Works great!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simplicity and battery life are likely related to ones expectations and or desired features. I still use the simplest of Garmin Etrexes and they do all that I require and do it well. All I want are my position, waypoints, a breadcrumb trail, routes, and the ability to download/upload same. No need for topo or ownership maps, aerial photos, barometers, altimeters, touch or color screens, stationary compass, or keeping track of others in my party. Batteries on my units will go for 24 continuous hours, but I've never had continuous needs. Lock in camp, the rig, downed game, crab traps, turn it off, and go about ones business.

Through work, I also use survey grade Trimbles. Many more features than most handhelds, but nothing additional that I'd want for my recreational needs.

I like the KISS principle. Have a couple buddies that have not yet mastered their units, and they're owned them for over a decade.

A cell phone and its accompanying batteries are the last thing I'd count one.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/29/20.

1Minute
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Too bad todays new phones can be piggybacked somehow to an GPS unit as an option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Garman 430 Astro and I pretty much like it

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too bad todays new phones can be piggybacked somehow to an GPS unit as an option

They have. Bluetooth.

1Minute
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by 1minute
Simplicity and battery life are likely related to ones expectations and or desired features. I still use the simplest of Garmin Etrexes and they do all that I require and do it well. All I want are my position, waypoints, a breadcrumb trail, routes, and the ability to download/upload same. No need for topo or ownership maps, aerial photos, barometers, altimeters, touch or color screens, stationary compass, or keeping track of others in my party. Batteries on my units will go for 24 continuous hours, but I've never had continuous needs. Lock in camp, the rig, downed game, crab traps, turn it off, and go about ones business.

Through work, I also use survey grade Trimbles. Many more features than most handhelds, but nothing additional that I'd want for my recreational needs.

I like the KISS principle. Have a couple buddies that have not yet mastered their units, and they're owned them for over a decade.

A cell phone and its accompanying batteries are the last thing I'd count one.

When you say simple Etrexes, do you have yellow ones with black and white screens? Do you think the ones with external antennas help much in deep cover?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who can keep up with all this crap?

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a onx chip in a garmin whatever. It works, but I finally got the app on my phone and it’s way better. I was very reluctant and it finally took me seeing my friend use his but it’s the real deal.

Last edited by Ralphie; 12/29/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I have a onx chip in a garmin whatever. It works, but I finally got the app on my phone and it’s way better. I was very reluctant and it finally took me seeing my friend use his but it’s the real deal.
That's my case. The Garmin is superior in only 1 area - it's more accurate for pin point locations. However, I rarely need to be that close. If I'm within 10 or 20', that's plenty good enough. The extreme accuracy is needed by surveyors and other's doing a job but for recreational use, it isn't. Having the chip does save the effort of having to download maps when we'll be out of cell service but that's minor. Before we go out I usually look at the map on my computer anyway so it's just a matter of saving it while I'm looking. It automatically syncs with the phone so I click 1 button on the phone and it's saved.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (1beaver_shooter, 14idaho, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16penny, 24 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,650
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.