Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I picked up a .300 EG that was topped with a I beleive, to be a Redfield jr., with flip up ghost ring (peep sight). Mid 50'S born on date EG. Would this be period correct with this rifle? It has the three mounting holes, and the only mark on it is a "R" stamped on the side of the base? I've been looking around the web and this is what I found so far. In order to use the peep sight you would have to remove the rings from the base?

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Nick Strobel in his book "Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes" states that particular mount with the peep was a "late sixties" remodel of the JR. Hope that helps.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm trying to understand the concept of this rig. Why would you need a peep sight on a scope base that you could not use without removing the scope?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you bashed the scope, removed it and continued hunting with the peep sight.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
wyo1895 is right. That was the intention. Or if for some reason you just wanted to shoot irons you could. Not sure why one would but it was an option. I always understood it as backup for a damaged scope though.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the scope fogged up on you during a hunt, you would remove the scope and hunt the peep sight. We're spoiled with good scopes nowadays, but scopes that fogged up weren't uncommon if you read the hunting magazines of the day.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, the peep is a back up for what harm might befall your scope. There are two types of Jr. bases. One has the rotary doetail in front of the front two screws and the other has it located between the screws. The former fits factory drilled holes and the other does not. I figure the base with the rotary dovetail between the screw holes likely predates the factory drilling the 99 for scope mounts.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
I figure the base with the rotary dovetail between the screw holes likely predates the factory drilling the 99 for scope mounts.

I would like to find one of those, or at least know the hole spacing. The 250 takedown I'm working on is drilled and tapped with that pattern, I believe.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I figure the base with the rotary dovetail between the screw holes likely predates the factory drilling the 99 for scope mounts.
I would like to find one of those, or at least know the hole spacing. The 250 takedown I'm working on is drilled and tapped with that pattern, I believe.

The spacing is distinctive. I don't know of any other scope holes which are similar.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the verification Calhoun!

LOL
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They work just fine, too.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I think I have one. Let me take a look and get back to you.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you!

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an adjusto mount stamped as a savage 99 that doesn't fit standard d/t holes. Anyone care to post hole distances for the Redfield JR?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a buddy in the mid 70’s that bought a new rifle and put those tall, see through mounts on it. I asked why he put those silly things on it? He got this vacant look on his face and said, “What are you going to do when the scope goes bad?” By the 70’s I think scopes were pretty dependable, but if you hunted with old guys, they still didn’t trust them. I’ve bought 3 99’s out of PA, and all 3 had see through mounts. I thought it was just a PA option? Ricky’s dad was from PA.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I understand how it would work if scope failed, and I see that alot of rear sights were removed, and replaced with a blank, to allow room for the forward bell on optics on the model 99,but one would need tools to;
1. Remove rings screws, (do not lose)
2. Take off scope,
3. Put rings back together
4. Have a dowel or stick to rotate forward ring and remove from base
5. Have tools to remove rear ring (maybe a coin)
6.Flip up peep sight and continue hunt?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

All you had to do was ask. wink

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by onelostsoul
I understand how it would work if scope failed, and I see that alot of rear sights were removed, and replaced with a blank, to allow room for the forward bell on optics on the model 99,but one would need tools to;
2. Take off scope,

Yep, and you would have probably have been greatful to have done it if you found yourself with a fogged scope in a place far from home. You got to figure that fogging was probably the most common problem with scopes "back in the day." I've heard guys mention that Weavers were nitrogen filled but all I think they ever got was a big charge of El Paso hot air. I used to live in Las Cruces NM, about 45-minutes up the road from El Paso, so I know there's a lot of hot air to go around down there!

PS - Most guys probably didn't take off the rings to remove the scope, thus eliminating steps 1, 3 and 4.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by onelostsoul
2. Take off scope,

You could do all that with the stuff laying around at the hunting camp or trunk of your car. Out in the wilderness, a trusty Swiss Army knife and a stick will get it done.

Or, do what I do and patently ignore putting a scope on a 99 to begin with. It honestly never crossed my mind to scope any of the Savage lever guns I own.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

All you had to do was ask. wink

I should just add you to my checking account Mike! LOL

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.