Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any good backpacks for deer hunting?

I’ve been using a Walmart Camo pack. It’s starting to come apart.

Something made in USA.

This will be for morning and evening hunts. Nothing long term.

Looking for a bunch of pockets.

I’ve got a Tactical Tailor pack. Quality. But only main pocket and 1 small pocket.

I’ve looked at some of the brands mentioned often on here. Hill people, mystery ranch, kifaru. They all seem to be built for long term pack trips.

Thanks!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got this a couple of years ago on a whim at a WM in Colorado: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Arrowhead-Int-Frame-Pack-Griffin/431323448

It’s only $40; it has enough room to carry a bunch of extra layers, binos, food water, etc. …; and it weighs only about 2 lbs. With all of my expensive backpacks, I usually take this one for day hunts because it’s so light.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sometimes have used it on short backpacking trips, but only when I’m not too far in and don’t have to carry too much.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No matter what I pack I always forget something

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
No matter what I pack I always forget something

The worst for me was a few years ago, backpacking with my two sons and my dad, I packed everyone's packs, and forgot the sporks. That's one thing that's almost impossible to do without. Luckily, my older son had one lying the the bottom of a pack pocket. We ate our beef stroganoff servings one at a time. Before my son made the helpful discovery, I was going to try to fashion spoons out of cut up plastic bowls, but I don't think it would have worked very well.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For whitetail deer hunting where I am walking to a stand and sitting for a couple hours to all day and then walking back I have gone to a Haversack type pack. Seems to be easier to deal with in a tree stand for me and works great for gun spots where we have shooting houses or will be stationary. We have a couple of the Bison Gear ones that are great, wish they hadn't gone out of business. My son didn't have one so we got him one from here. Not as good as the old Bison Gear Haversacks but still great for deer hunting from a stand

https://thehiddenwoodsmen.com/product/the-haversack/

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave,

I use a Tenzing TZ 2220 if packing a deer isn't a factor - there's better stuff for that.
A bit on the large side but I generally carry most of my clothes in/on the pack.
It's pretty light, has ample pockets/compartments and comes with a rain fly and gun/bow bearer too.

It used to come in a solid color (loden) but it appears it's now only offered in camo.

https://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/catalog/product/view/id/501/s/tz-2220/category/109/

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am an overpacker, but I use an Eberlestock Team Elk. I don't think that pack would be very good for an actual elk hunt, but for a big woods whitetail hunt it is about perfect. It is a little heavy but it is a tank. If I was looking for something smaller I would get an X-1, which i have as a go bag. Eberlestock is quality built stuff.

Edit- I was wrong, I have the gunrunner as a go bag and it would be great for a smaller whitetail bag.

Last edited by Bperdue21; 12/29/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the replies. I’ll check them out.

SKane,

No packing meat out. I’m one of the shameless hunters that load mine up on the ranger and go to the skinning shed. 😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

If I’m walking all day a pack just gets in the way and tryto fit everything in my pockets, if I plan on sitting anything that’s not a hassle carrying in does the job.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave,
There’s no shame in that! I do the same when location affords.

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Made in USA- Kifaru. They ain't cheap, but are built well

I have the Kifaru Doorgunner and really like it. It's not large enough for an over-night pack, but works great for a day tripper. Rides like a champ, plenty of pockets, great zippers, straps, and belt. It can haul all the stuff I need for a long day in the hills or just a short hike with a little water and food. It has seen hundreds of miles and has really worked well, be it hunting, day hikes, shooting trips, going out of town, etc..

The Kifaru Antero daypack is another one I'd look at if buying again.

https://kifaru.net/store/packs/day-packs/door-gunner/

Last edited by Lonny; 12/29/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by huntsman22; 12/29/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My main day pack is an Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18. If I'm packing a bit more gear, as in the wife or a grandkid is along, an Eberlestock X2 or F1 Mainframe with Batwings usually gets the call. I do debone and quarter deer/hogs and pack meat out.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Made in USA might be the tough part. Have you checked Duluth Pack?

Last edited by tzone; 12/29/20.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Thanks for all the replies. I’ll check them out.

SKane,

No packing meat out. I’m one of the shameless hunters that load mine up on the ranger and go to the skinning shed. 😂

Another one to look at is the Mystery Ranch Treehouse.

Pack

Camp is where you make it.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Been using ALPS for a few years. Had 1 zipper come apart. I was loading the pack with bricks and hiking to get in shape for a MT elk hunt. So the zipper coming apart after that abuse wasn't a big deal. Sent me a brand new pack.

2 weeks ago threw my pack in the truck and shut the tailgate. Closed the tailgate on the waist buckle and broke it. Just got new buckles in the mail. Pack is fixed.

https://www.alpsbrands.com/alpsoutdoorz/products/packs/pathfinder

Hunt...
TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Somewhere between the day pack and packed pockets... I’ve used lumbar packs a good bit and really like them when just doing morning/evening sits w no pack out of meat.
I have a smaller Mountain Smith which has served me well for over a decade (plenty of pockets for smaller gear inside and out and room for gloves/hat, compressed puffy coat inside)

https://mountainsmith.com/2020-tour-lumbar.html

I have also been experimenting w the larger Cabelas model w lots of storage and bow/gun packing attachment options.

I tend to like the lumbar pack when busting brush in/out or still hunting as it still feels far better to have the gun pop to your shoulder pocket when a deer jumps up at 20 yards than it does resting on your backpack strap.

Last edited by TDN; 12/30/20.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I really like eberlestock's Gunrunner. Big enough, not to big, scabbard is nice hiking up the mountain before daylight.

https://eberlestock.com/collections/gun-carry/products/gunrunner-pack

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my Mother pack! Its super light, very quiet with smartly placed compartments and its expandable. I've not found such a well thought out pack.

I also have the turkey vest. Another winner.

I think I bought them fro The Sportsmans Guide, years ago.

I just picked up a Kuiu divide 1200. Perfect day pack for walking long distances with lunch and other necessities. Only problem is, its Loud

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.