Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Judman
Sounds like a good night pard. 👍

PS, if you actually (hunt), nothing here should get you down, it is worth a few laughs though!! 😂😂

That’s for sure.

I’ll say they aren’t required if you match them to the cartridge launcher.

Yep, I know Berger’s kill the shiit outta bulls, lotta folks here think they’re a varmint bullets. Just wondering what the general consensus was after the the “best elk cartridge “ thread.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Couple in the shoulder, 180 interloks, 300 (BEE) for fotis 😂, 35-40 yards. 3300 FPS,
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One could argue the interlock is a more consistent performer. I shot this cow at 340 yards with a 338 win mag and 225 TSX’s. One passed through one suck under the hide on the off side both hit the shoulder.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What’s the consensus here?

Hell no...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

PS, if you actually (hunt), nothing here should get you down, it is worth a few laughs though!! 😂😂

That’s for sure.

Yep, I know Berger’s kill the shiit outta bulls, lotta folks here think they’re a varmint bullets. Just wondering what the general consensus was after the the “best elk cartridge “ thread.

Ha, all I know is it’s fun hunting them big bastards and I’d imagine we will be old men still going over this. I do like seeing others experiences though.

Never used a Berger on fur yet. I’m working up to it slowly grin

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have a friend who used to hunt elk with his .308 model 100.. His standard shooting was three or four times in the chest.. He didn't want a bigger gun because it ruined too much meat.. Logical.. All the pros I have talked to said use the biggest you can shoot accurately!!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW

Hell no...

I know brother man🤫😅

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

That’s for sure.

Ha, all I know is it’s fun hunting them big bastards and I’d imagine we will be old men still going over this. I do like seeing others experiences though.

That actually really surprises me Scotty. Why not??

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Region6
Couple in the shoulder, 180 interloks, 300 (BEE) for fotis 😂, 35-40 yards. 3300 FPS,

One could argue the interlock is a more consistent performer. I shot this cow at 340 yards with a 338 win mag and 225 TSX’s. One passed through one suck under the hide on the off side both hit the shoulder.

Nice grocery trip bud. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

That’s for sure.

. memtb

They’re great for coyotes.....but, you can’t sell the fur! grin

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have a friend who used to hunt elk with his .308 model 100.. His standard shooting was three or four times in the chest.. He didn't want a bigger gun because it ruined too much meat.. Logical.. All the pros I have talked to said use the biggest you can shoot accurately!!!

^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep, I agree. One thing that I'd add is if you aren't using a "premium", use heavy for caliber c&c bullets. I've never had an issue going this route.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have used various cup and core bullet as well as "premium" bullets. If I were to give an overview it would be simply this:
The smaller and/or less powerful the round the more help a Premium bullet can be. My definition of "premium" is about weight retention not just accuracy. Accuracy is never a bad thing, but for elk I rank accuracy as less important then good terminal performance (expansion with good weight retention)

But any bullet that can break bone and hold together is ok for elk. I have seen many and used some myself that were not so good but others were excellent.

Cup and core bullets I have killed them with:

150 grain Remington RN 270s (excellent)
150 grain Speer Hot Core 7MM (very poor)
175 grain 7MM, Hornady. (very good)
150 and 180 grain 30 cal Winchester Power Points from a 300 Savage, 308s and 30-06 (good and very good)
220 grain RN Hornadys (Very good)
220 grain Sierra RN. (very good or excellent))
225 grain Hornady Spire Point 338s, (Poor for elk. Complete break ups)
170 grain 8MM Hornady SSTs, (poor for elk.)
200 grian Flat Nose 348 on a moose, not an elk, but it held together and did well. One kill only, so not a real good test, but I'll add it anyway.
270 grain Hornady Spire point 375s ( comes apart some, but gave me exist despite the metal flakes in the wound)
270 grain Hornady RN 375s, (very good)
270 grain Winchester Power Points (Excellent. In fact about the best 375 I ever used, and equal to the Premiums)
Winchester 300 grain Sliver Tip 375s (some metal frags in the wounds, but give exits, so I can't complain)
300 grain Sierra BT. (Gave exits but I found the cores inside the ribs, one elk and one moose. Same on both kills. So this one could be called both poor and good. Poor because it came apart but good because about any 300 grain bullet from a 375H&H is deadly just owning to it's size and weight)
416 400 grain Hornady SP. (Works well but didn't seem to expand much. Smaller exit then I expected, but it killed the bull fine)

In addition to those above I have killed elk with the following "premium" bullets.
270s 150 and 160 Grain Nosler Partitions (Excellent)
7MM 160 and 175 Gr Nosler Partitions (Excellent)
7MM 150 grain Barnes X (Excellent)
30 caliber 165, 180 and 200 grain Nosler Partitions. (Excellent)
30 cal Barnes GMX 165 (Excellent)
180 grain Speer 30 cal Grand Slam. (Gave exists but some fragments in the wounds)
8MM 200 grain Nosler Partition. (Excellent)
338 210 grain and 250 grain Nosler Partitions (Very good and Excellent)
285 grain Speer Grand Slam 375. Did ok, but on elk it's basically like a solid giving me exits of about nickel size)
375 300 grain Nosler Partition. (Excellent)

In every case, the above listed "premium" bullets did all I could ask of them. I can't say they did a lot better then some of the best cup and cores, but never did I have a single failure.

Then there are those killed with cast bullets from four 44 magnum handguns, a 454 Casull, and also two 45-70 rifles and round balls from both 58 cal and 62 cal muzzleloaders. All my cast bullets and balls did the job perfectly.

By far the most information I have gathered from over 50+ years of elk hunts is from guiding, packing and butchering elk other then those I killed myself . In the last 1/2 century I have not only killed my own elk, but also helped in various capacities with a LOT more dead elk then I have personally killed. If I were to make a realistic guess I would say my number is around 90, and the ones that I have helped with are probably 6-7 times that many. I have seen them killed with guns from 243s to 50BMG. With handguns from 41 mag to 500 S&W and also with about 25 different arrows and broadheads.
So if I am asked if you "need a premium bullet" in many cases I say NO!.
But in all cases I would also say it won't hurt you to use one either.

Last edited by szihn; 12/31/20.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
OMG, the prime rib was awesome, but my fiance just basically passed out from too much wine already. We were watching the 1980s version of the Bourne Identity. She told me to wake her before midnight. So, I'm back to this thread for a bit.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was a proud Elk hunter using mostly 150 gr. Speer Hotcors out of my 270 with good success and used the same weight Hotcor in my 30-06 on several Elk before deciding to switch to the 180 gr Hotcor. Shortly after I started using Nosler Partitions in both rifles. Did the Partitions kill any better? Well no but they did penetrate better.

Dog I rescued in January

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Some of the best elk hunters I know, and I know a couple, Ol gristles, wearing cotton and wool still, straight pile up bulls with 30/06’s, 300 savages, 308’s etc, factory fodder, hang a picnic plate @ 100 and go make meat.... oh how times are changing.... ...😅

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In the early 70s I killed a few elk with a 270 win and Remington core lots. I didn't even know what a premium bullet was. Since 96' I've used partitions. For me, partitions are "needed". Others will undoubtedly feel differently.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hotsoup
In the early 70s I killed a few elk with a 270 win and Remington core lots. I didn't even know what a premium bullet was. Since 96' I've used partitions. For me, partitions are "needed". Others will undoubtedly feel differently.

Partitions are great bullets and have been the gold standard since 1945. I've killed many elk with them and they always work great. I've also killed elk with heavy for caliber sierra gamekings (.338 250gr) and 225gr Hornady interlocks. The one premium I'd love to try is the 175gr LRX in my 300wby. No luck this year, maybe next year. I'm thinking that LRX singing along at 3,250 fps would be ideal..`

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who here doesn’t like premium bullets for elk?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is an 80 grain ballistic Tip considered premium?

How's it work?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Shhhhh!🤫

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,667
Posts18,513,075
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.