Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have OP/TECH straps for my cameras, binoculars and I have their tri-pod strap. Good quality and no complaints.

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Rick Young. Lots of carrying options.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it depends on how heavy, the rick young is nice for a smaller set of binocs or a regular set you might not be wearing all day. for heavier RF binoculars I like a bino harness. the sitka one has been my preferred. its only got elastic on the lower straps and stretches out less which is nice.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 12/29/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of 'em that let the b'nocs hang below your ribs, suck. High and Tight, baby.....

The ones that came with my EL's adjust high enuff to suit me, all the rest get throwed in the trash and I put paracord on them. Just enough to slip over my head comfortably.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For wearing all day a harness is the only way to go. For wearing all day in comfort, or actually providing protection to your very expensive binocs, the Rick Young isn't the way to go. There are a number of low profile harnesses out there that let the binocs hang were you want them, provide protection, are comfortable, and aren't like wearing another backpack on your chest. I have the FHF harness and like it a lot, and the Marsupial Gear harness is also very nice and a minimalist design. If I didn't own the FHF I'd own the Marsupial. I wore a simple/OEM neck strap for a number of years before I tried a shoulder harness, and I'll never go back there's a night and day difference if you're wearing them all day.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by 16bore
Still use the elastic harness type but with all the plastic noisemakers removed. Can’t get into the chest pack tacticool woke sacks....

I went o a full on chest rig a few years back, and its the best thing I ever did....never cared what the deers, coyotes, or Fudds thought about how it looked. Binos, mouth calls, caller remote, spare mag, first aid, rangefinder...all right where I need it without having to dig or fumble.

[Linked Image from evike.com]

Like the chest harness utility and "use" them often.

For hunting, I carry less mags...

BTW, go to a "hiking outfitter" or equivalent or a strap/sling company such as:

https://www.strapworks.com/default....strapworks&utm_content=Strap%20Works

and purchase woven nylon and some buckles to make your own.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by 16bore
Still use the elastic harness type but with all the plastic noisemakers removed. Can’t get into the chest pack tacticool woke sacks....

I went o a full on chest rig a few years back, and its the best thing I ever did....never cared what the deers, coyotes, or Fudds thought about how it looked. Binos, mouth calls, caller remote, spare mag, first aid, rangefinder...all right where I need it without having to dig or fumble.

[Linked Image from evike.com]

Like the chest harness utility and "use" them often.

For hunting, I carry less mags...

BTW, go to a "hiking outfitter" or equivalent or a strap/sling company such as:

https://www.strapworks.com/default....strapworks&utm_content=Strap%20Works

and purchase woven nylon and some buckles to make your own.

I don't use them to carry mags...ok, maybe one extra.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another vote for Rick Young product.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad this thread came up. I looked at the Rick Young harness a year or so ago but didn't bookmark it and couldn't remember the name/website. I now have one on order along with a couple of the loops for range finder and other gear. I've tried 3 different harnesses over the past few years, and I'm done with the bulky harnesses that interfere with my backpack straps or visa versa. Don't even have to have it in hand to know that it will work perfect for my needs.

Last edited by Biggs300; 12/31/20.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Actually I do have a pertinent question.

Does anyone make a pouch that can be used to hook on to the front straps of an existing day pack?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I use the Rick Young bino harness. No neck fatigue, keeps the binos out of the way until they are needed. Highly recommend.

The Rick Young bino harness is the best i have used, so versatile.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jesus Christ Bob, you didn’t consult Larry???wtf??

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Actually I do have a pertinent question.

Does anyone make a pouch that can be used to hook on to the front straps of an existing day pack?

Shoulder straps? Yes, a few companies do:
Marsupial Gear Universal Shoulder Strap

Hyperlite makes one too, but I am not sure if it is universal or not.
Hyperlite Gear Shoulder Strap

I've seen others from smaller companies out there but can't remember their names off the top of my head.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'll jump in with another Rick Young vote. Easy on/off, can be adjusted to exactly what you want with height/resistance...a little tension helps me hold bino's steady while griping cap bill.....easy to wear over a chest or back pack, low profile with very little bulk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jstuart, I added buckles to my shoulder straps so I could do just that. I have a marsupial and a AGC, both set up to hang on the pack. I just unsnap the harness and stuff it in the pack so I have it if I want to dump the pack. I don't have to use the sternum strap with the marsupial, but have to use it under the AGC as it is wider....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick Young bino straps work good in open country, but when you encounter brushy terrain they snag easily. I busted up two pair charging thru brush, before I wised up.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Just a reminder...

If you get a chest rig, you’ll have to start saying you ‘run’ it instead of ‘use’ it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
jstuart, I added buckles to my shoulder straps so I could do just that. I have a marsupial and a AGC, both set up to hang on the pack. I just unsnap the harness and stuff it in the pack so I have it if I want to dump the pack. I don't have to use the sternum strap with the marsupial, but have to use it under the AGC as it is wider....

I couldn't tell if he was asking about an actual bino harness that would attach to a pack's strap system (vs having to put on a seperate strap system under your pack) or just regular pouches for holding whatever else.

Someone (FHF maybe?) makes a conversion kit specifically for attaching a bino harness directly to a pack's shoulder straps.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by roundoak
Rick Young bino straps work good in open country, but when you encounter brushy terrain they snag easily. I busted up two pair charging thru brush, before I wised up.

In that situation, maybe keep the outer layer open a bit and drop the binos inside.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Originally Posted by roundoak

In that situation, maybe keep the outer layer open a bit and drop the binos inside.

Duh!! grin

I hunt the and wettest some of the thickest in the lower 48, and have never had trouble snagging with my Rick Youngs, though I do put them inside outer jacket much of the time.

Bino harness/strap is a personal comfort and personal preference choice. I tried a half dozen brands and styles of straps and chest packs and WAAAAY prefer the simplicity and versatility of the Rick Young minimal harness. I poached a bino cover from another brand, attached that to the Rick Young spaghetti straps and they do fine in constant rain. My grandson prefers the Alaska chest-pouch-with-20-gizmo-pockets-and-attachment-options bino harness.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,542 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.