Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Over time I've kind of settled into using Lee Collet Dies, Redding Body Dies, and the Redding Competition Seater for the majority of my loading. I've found wonderful consistency and concentricity using this set of dies, but I've run into the problem of loading for a couple cartridges that don't have Lee Collet Dies available. The main one I'm trying to load at the moment is the 17 Hornet. I have the Redding S Match Neck Die Set. My question is, won't using the expander ball on the decapping rod negate the use of the bushing in the die set? I realize this may be a ridiculous question, but I've not had good luck with decapping rods for the most part when trying to make concentric ammo.

So for those of you who use this type of die set, will you please outline how you set the die up for concentric reloading? And do you use the decapping rod with the expander ball on it? I did try and remove the expander ball, but without resorting to pliers it seems fairly permanently ensconced on the decapping rod.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you're unable to remove it for whatever reason it shouldn't present a real problem because if you've chosen the correct size bushing for the brass the ball should only lightly kiss the neck on the way out.

Unlike what some would have you believe, expander balls aren't evil per se. Often it's when they're asked to undo the excessive neck squeeze many dies apply that they get a bad rap.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Mathman, do you normally remove them yourself? And if so, it almost looks like the expander holds the decapping pin, so is that the case?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm on the road so I can't put my hands on my die to look at it, but I believe there's a small diameter pin holder for use without the ball.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
JohnChilds,

With the exception of the .17 Hornet, I never use the expander ball with Redding S dies, contrary to their directions. Either I use a separate decapping die (easy to do with a turret press (and most of my presses are turrets now), or switch out the expander to smaller caliber ball.

With the .17 it's obviously not possible to switch out the expander for a small one, but mine sizes cases very straigntly anyway, using a bushing that just sizes Hornady necks down enough to hold the bullets. These.days Hornady tends to make brass with very even neck thickness, which helps a lot, since there's no need to sort or turn necks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use Redding Type S bushing FL dies almost exclusively. I do NOT use expander balls in any of them. I went to the bushing dies to eliminate expander balls altogether. I have produced noticeably more concentric ammo with these dies.

However, I do not shoot any 17cal cartridges so I don't know if there may be a difference. Didn't the die come with a non-expander collar to hold the decapping pin?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
I use Redding Type S bushing FL dies almost exclusively. I do NOT use expander balls in any of them. I went to the bushing dies to eliminate expander balls altogether. I have produced noticeably more concentric ammo with these dies.

However, I do not shoot any 17cal cartridges so I don't know if there may be a difference. Didn't the die come with a non-expander collar to hold the decapping pin?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same here.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks Guys for the help. I thought they probably worked better without the expander. Appreciate the advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is possible to order custom Lee Collet neck dies.

6.5-06:
Custom collet neck die mandrel from Lee Custom Mandrel reduction service by paying triple fee for 270 mandrel from a collet neck die down to 0.262", but leave the top 1/4" alone to fit a 270 collar.

This took 10 minutes on the phone while they asked the machinist.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Clarkm, I would do that, but their website says they're holding all custom orders for the time being because of unprecedented demand. I needed a collet die for a 6.5 PRC too, but oh well. When this madness slows down, hopefully I'll be able to get both.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 76 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,530
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.