Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Probably because when you point it correctly, animals always fall down. No excitement there.

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, if 'they' want to call 200gr Partitions or Accubonds at an accurate 2700-2800 fps 'boring' more power to 'em, a good douching along with a fresh baby powdering and a clean pair of pantys would probably help them feel a little better.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, if 'they' want to call 200gr Partitions or Accubonds at an accurate 2700-2800 fps 'boring' more power to 'em, a good douching along with a fresh baby powdering and a clean pair of pantys would probably help them feel a little better.

That load has just enough recoil to unwind a manbun, that's why.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

cry grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It's called boring because it is boring....

Boringly effective, boringly efficient, boringly deadly on most any critter short of BG (I think he meant DG?) and would do a job on most of them with the right bullet.

Yep it’s boring because once you have one you can’t ever really say you “need” another CF.

That’s boring... boringly effective...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Why Do Folks Call the 30/06 Boring?

Because, everybody has one and we think we're cool when we shoot something else, esp if it is a bit obscure.

I could trade my 257Roberts, 275Rigby, 280 Remington, 308, 300H&H all for a 30-06 and not want for anything more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll tell all of you why its boring......cause some hillbilly years ago said “Load a 30-06 with Partitions. Shut up and go hunting !”
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And then there was this Alaskan type hillbilly who said :” Anyone who thinks a 30-06 isn’t adequate for big bears is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship !”.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot an 03A3 on the rifle team in the service 50 years ago but never owned one until I won a Ruger American in 30-06 on a raffle ticket I had bought. I already had a 308 and I hated the black plastic stock. Just because I had it, I had to shoot it. Loaded up some Hornady 180 grain SST bullets and after zeroing the scope the first group out of that rifle was covered with a quarter. Well that tore it! I had to do something about that damn black stock!!!! Had it dipped in a burl wood pattern. Not wood but more palatable. Put a galco ching sling on it and took it deer hunting. Shot a doe off hand through the hardwoods 178 yards through the heart. Boring? Yep boringly effective. Guess I will keep it. Just call me boring deer slayer.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30 CreedMOST

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It's called boring because it is boring....

Boringly effective, boringly efficient, boringly deadly on most any critter short of BG (I think he meant DG?) and would do a job on most of them with the right bullet.

Yep it’s boring because once you have one you can’t ever really say you “need” another CF.

That’s boring... boringly effective...

Yeah you caught what I was trying to say, DG, not BG. The '06 handles BG routinely without issues.

It could handle DG in a pinch, maybe not a 1st choice. But never count it out. With heavy solids, it could kill about anything with a well placed shot.

IIRC, the 220 NPT was a leading performer in penetration tests, including a number of bigger rounds.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a lovely custom stocked BRNO ZKK 600 that I got off a mate who is now deceased so I will never sell it. But I haven't hunted with it for about 10 years. I hunt deer (fallow, reds and a chital stag), pigs, the odd feral goat for meat, foxes and the odd feral cat and find that I usually grab a .257, .264 or .284 calibre rifle. I have 11 rifles covering those three calibres so plenty of choices to choose from. For bigger game like sambar deer I have a .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 so the .30-06 sort of sits in a gap. My .308, 8x57 and .303 are the same. Absolutely nothing wrong with the .30-06 but for the game I hunt a smaller cartridge seems to kill as well with less recoil. For pigs out west my Ruger Ultralight in .308 does the job very nicely. The short 20 inch barrel is handy for in the thick stuff and the pigs are shot under 100m so no real need for a 24 inch .30-06.

On the other hand my brother has a .30-06 and shoots everything with it from foxes up to red stag and wapiti in New Zealand. It's his do everything round.

Mule Deer has written that older hunters tend to gravitate to smaller less recoiling rounds as they get older. I never really thought this applied to me but I have definately used smaller cartridges the last few years. I never made a conscious decision to but maybe I did it subconsciously. My .30-06 has a very trim little stock with a 1/2 inch recoil pad and recoil with a 180gn bullet at 2875 fps is quite noticeable.

Last edited by Elvis; 01/02/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Boring? Meh, what do they know? Evidently not much and anyone spouting that kind of baloney in my presence would get tuned out while I daydream of all the game I've whacked with one.

What turned me into a .30-06 fanboy was my first '03 Springfield 50-couple years ago (an original M1903 Mark I). That rifle taught me more about marksmanship than the other rifles I owned up until then. It might explain why I have ten '06's in my possession at the moment- mostly original '03 service rifles, target guns, and NRA Sporter, with a couple interlopers like a 1954 Model 70, M1, and a Mauser sporter. On my ammo shelves I have loads from cast bullet plinker/small game stuff, to midrange cast and jacketed stuff, to Molly-bar-the-door stuff. Do I have a fondness for other chamberings? Indeed, around 50 or so others which includes a 6.5x55 Ruger #1A which has become my go-to hunting gun. But if push came to shove.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

That load has just enough recoil to unwind a manbun, that's why.

laugh laugh laugh

Could not have said it better.
Wish I had sooner.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older I get, the more I like boring.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What’s that saying?
All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ive only used one a few times as a kid but lately im reintroducing myself to the 30-06. Ive no real use with running it with lighter bullets as ive already got a 308win, 270, and 280 to do such duty. To me i want to make the 30-06 my one and done 200gr Partition launcher for elk. Its fairly thick where im at compared to the rest of the intermountain west and why not have a bit more horsepower and good penetration when at times you run into elk at essentially archery distances. Theres also more of Montana's grizzly bears showing up here and if your seeing 5 of them in a day then its time to step up the jorsepower and pack the heat so to speak. I have a couple 45-70 leverguns but im now exploring bolt actions. Ive also got my favorite rifle in the form of Ruger's compact rifle 338RCM. Its the best ive had in a bolt gun but i wanted a really common case component and caliber as an elk rifle and ibhope that 30-06 is the ticket.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

If this site was slightly like Facebook (and am glad it isn't) this would get a "like."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

If this site was slightly like Facebook (and am glad it isn't) this would get a "like."

I understand yall’s reasoning but I’m wondering....

I’m now 71 yo and in the past 2-3 years have developed loads and hunted
& killed deer with 6.5x55 and 284 Win but also hunted a new TO ME
Tikka T3X SS Lite 7 RM.

My query is: are these rounds ‘boring’ OR

Am I not as old as you guys? LOL

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I guess because it works too well and is so versatile. It is like a Toyota Camry......boring because it works great and does what it's supposed to every time, day in and day out.........even so, there are people that crave exotic sports cars that are insanely expensive and require extensive maintenance year after year......I just don't get it either.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 50 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,858
Posts18,478,546
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.