Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My last pair of perfekt hunters did the same thing this fall only on the front and I ordered the comfort Hunter from Mendel to replace them. 7 years old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Anyone owned the Meindl USA boots and can speak to the quality?

jackmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that other than having the boots come apart on you that all is more or less as it needs to be.

While my information is now years old, way back when I picked up my Meindl boots up here across the medicine line - I want to say they are Dovre Extremes - they looked close to what Cabelas sold as the Canada model, but there were subtle differences.

That said, there's no way yours should delaminate like that and if you ever find out what caused it I'd be interested in hearing what it was.

Sorry I couldn't be more help sir, but I will add my hunting partner picked up some Santiam boots by Danner a few years back and he loves them. He's a bigger fellow and I've found larger folks tend to go through more boots than smaller chaps such as myself.

My old Hood Winter Lights from Danner were absolutely wonderful boots as well and once these Meindl die, I'll likely return to US made Danners with a stitch down sole.

Good luck with the boots and hopefully all else will be better this year for you folks.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two pair here exactly the same. One pair is nearly new.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Today’s rubber and glue probably aren’t what they used to be due to several issues. Seems like for many people it’s boots not worn often that develop rot, but maybe it’s just farther along when you notice it.

I’ve had a Cabelas branded Meindls and several Rockies disintegrate that sat for a year or so and have Meindls, HanWags, and Kenetreks that are worn regularly go many years before needing resoled.

I think you need two good pair of boots at all times in case one craps the bed.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Anyone owned the Meindl USA boots and can speak to the quality?

jackmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that other than having the boots come apart on you that all is more or less as it needs to be.

While my information is now years old, way back when I picked up my Meindl boots up here across the medicine line - I want to say they are Dovre Extremes - they looked close to what Cabelas sold as the Canada model, but there were subtle differences.

That said, there's no way yours should delaminate like that and if you ever find out what caused it I'd be interested in hearing what it was.

Sorry I couldn't be more help sir, but I will add my hunting partner picked up some Santiam boots by Danner a few years back and he loves them. He's a bigger fellow and I've found larger folks tend to go through more boots than smaller chaps such as myself.

My old Hood Winter Lights from Danner were absolutely wonderful boots as well and once these Meindl die, I'll likely return to US made Danners with a stitch down sole.

Good luck with the boots and hopefully all else will be better this year for you folks.

Dwayne

Appreciate it Dwayne,
I think I’ll order the Santiams or the Canadians tonight. I’ve always had good service from danner and wore their Foreman GTX for years with the white wedge sole. Perfect for construction.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Today’s rubber and glue probably aren’t what they used to be do to several issues. Seems like for many people it’s boots not worn often that develop rot, but maybe it’s just farther along when you notice it.

I’ve had a Cabelas branded Meindls and several Rockies disintegrate that sat for a year or so and have Meindls, HanWags, and Kenetreks that are worn regularly go many years before needing resoled.

I think you need two good pair of boots at all times in case one craps the bed.

Undoubtedly and normally do. I wear boots everyday of the year and with these going down straight out of the box, I’ll be wearing my uninsulated perfekt hikers til my new ones arrive later this week. Supposed to be above freezing all week thankfully.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep.

Shelf life of the glue issue.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jackmountain;
Good evening again and thanks for the reply.

I just went on the Danner site and was looking at the difference between the Hood Winter Light, Santiam and Canadian.

The Canadian looks like a great skookum boot for sure! cool

The choice will be whether you want 400gr or 600gr insulation more or less then.

As I said, the Hood Winter Lights lasted well into the second set of soles being used for hunting, hiking and firewood cutting here in the BC Interior mountains. They're not as stiff for sure as they used to be, but then too they didn't need to be broken in nearly as long as the Meindl either, which were a bit of a task actually.

Good luck again and if you do find out an answer and feel like letting us know I'd be interested to learn what went on with your pair.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Some of the rubber components in the machines I serviced would just disintegrate, not worn out just melt or crumble. We called it "timing out". Some of the mfg said ozone was a factor but some of the machines didn't generate any at all. Later on we had replacements still in the bag fail so we knew it wasn't any solvents or other cleaners the techs were using.
I could see whatever glue they used to bond the sole attacking the other side?

Almost looks like the material closest to the sole got ate by something all right. I've got about a 15 year old pair of Meindl Islanders not a Cabelas contract, bought from a small independent touch wood they have no issues anywhere yet.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I had it happen to a pair of Brownings. The attic heat in Texas killed them.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had the Cabelas Mountian Hiker II boots which I’m sure were made by Meindl. Same thing happed after about 12 years of use (strictly deer hunting boots only). Cabela’s warrants their brand, I sent them in and got a new set of boots free of charge.

Last edited by MarkWV; 01/01/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MarkWV
I had the Cabelas Mountian Hiker II boots which I’m sure were made by Meindl. Same thing happed after about 12 years of use (strictly deer hunting boots only). Cabela’s warrants their brand, I sent them in and got a new set of boots free of charge.

They’ve dropped the meindl line.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Every single pair of Rocky’s I’ve ever had did the same thing, the bottom of the boot just disintegrated.

Truth

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by antlers
Every single pair of Rocky’s I’ve ever had did the same thing, the bottom of the boot just disintegrated.

Truth

Haven’t messed with Rocky since 1997. Corn stalkers, all cordura. Wish you could still find those.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/01/21.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
jackmountain,

I had a pair of Lowa Tibets that I had had for 12 years or so but had actually worn very little do that. I was told that age will do that to that type of boot construction but most people, unlike me, who purchase this type of hiking boots wear them enough to wear out the uppers and soles before they delaminate from age. You obviously had a little different issue since yours are not that old.

About those Danner Canadians, I had a pair of those I wore hard for many years (that's why I didn't wear the Lowa's much) and just gave them to my grandson an he is still getting good use out of them. They are a great boot.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had this very thing happen to my Cabela's Meindl's this November while hunting with my Son. Had to Gorilla Glue the bottoms on to get through the 4 days opf hunting in Michigan. I called them "Frankenboots" because of all the expanded glue sticking out of the edges! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Same thing here, looks like it's a trend.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think it's called sole rot, I had a pair of Rocky's do it some years ago. My father recently passed and while cleaning out the garage he had a brand new pair of Browning Codura bird hunting boots, when I picked them up the soles disintegrated!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What you need is a USA made boot with a Goodyear welt, i.e. Thorogood.

Imagine if that happened while out in the field - miles away from the truck. That would suck and is a good reason not to ever purchase injection-molded soles - especially ones MIC.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/02/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve had three pairs do that in the equatorial belt, one new, one near new and one a bit over a year old.

Agent in Singapore stopped dealing with Meindl over the issue. Best thing is to get them resoled with vibram.

Wore one pair for nearly a year in Tanzania, left them there for seven months and they were rooted when I got back. Had to do all my field work in Timberland shoes.

A brand new pair at home in Singapore were thrown out by housemate as he thought they were his and the soles looked like yours.

A pair I had for about five years here in Aus finally succumbed.

Shame, they are great for my feet.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

249 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 264mag, 32 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,978
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.