-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Molded glued sole shoes are ok for some things I wear Keens a lot but if you want good reliable work or hunting boots hand made with sewn on soles will always be my choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a pair of Rocky Bearclaws that I saved just for winter coyote hunting. Took a trip to SD, and walking to the very first set, I was leaving a trail of rubber Helen Keller could have followed.

I ended up getting them resoled locally.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like some Chinese molded vinyl glued to some sort of leather/vinyl upper. Get something like American made Whites Boots that are composed of saddle leather, triple or better stitched, with soles held on with stitching, glue, and screws. They also do rebuilds when one wears the bottoms out, and do custom builds as well.

Expensive, but damned well worth it. I do not tolerate failure, presently own four pair, and have lived 24/7 in them since 1982.

Danner may make a good boot, but I went away from them when they went through an era of producing lightweight yuppie trail walking leather/Gore-Tex stuff. Had a pair of their vintage rock climbers that wore out 4 sets of vibram soles. Then they went out of production.

Have a friend that returned from an Alaska Dall sheep hunt with duct tape holding his Meindl's together. Without duct tape, he would have been screwed.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/02/21.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Looks like some Chinese molded vinyl glued to some sort of leather/vinyl upper. Get something like American made Whites Boots that are composed of saddle leather, triple or better stitched, with soles held on with stitching, glue, and screws. They also do rebuilds when one wears the bottoms out, and do custom builds as well.

Expensive, but damned well worth it. I do not tolerate failure, presently own four pair, and have lived 24/7 in them since 1982.

Danner may make a good boot, but I went away from them when they went through an era of producing lightweight yuppie trail walking leather/Gore-Tex stuff. Had a pair of their vintage rock climbers that wore out 4 sets of vibram soles. Then they went out of production.

Have a friend that returned from an Alaska Dall sheep hunt with duct tape holding his Meindl's together. Without duct tape, he would have been screwed.

I had a pair of whites rip the whole welt off in less than a week. Sure the sole is stitched on....but the welt will fall off. [Linked Image]

Last edited by high_country_; 01/02/21. Reason: Added pic

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Had that happen to a pair of Danner. Had them several years but rarely wore them. Danner said so sorry, that happens to old boots.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dads employer gave him $100/year to buy work boots.
He usually got two years out of a pair.
Still, using their catalogs he bought a pair annually.
Probably had 5-10 pair in the closet when he retired.

When he needed a new pair to wear traveling, he found his oldest
ones had gummy/separated soles.

There were only on or two pair that weren't degraded.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Posted on this topic so often I'm weary of it, but if you want to hear my sad Meindl story, try to find it in the archives. I don't do randed boots. Which is too bad, as the Meindl Perfekts were the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. For living room use they would have excelled.

My current warm weather boots are Danner Reckoning. Cold weather Red Wing Elk Hunters.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Posted on this topic so often I'm weary of it, but if you want to hear my sad Meindl story, try to find it in the archives. I don't do randed boots. Which is too bad, as the Meindl Perfekts were the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. For living room use they would have excelled.

My current warm weather boots are Danner Reckoning. Cold weather Red Wing Elk Hunters.

What are randed boots?

If the Danner Reckoning will hold up under an infantryman's feet, they should hold up to anything!

Last edited by Triggernosis; 01/02/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rand is the rubber strip that some boots have that covers the seam between the sole and the boot. (Black strip in the pic) Old style boots don't use a rand.

[Linked Image from farlows.co.uk]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. ^^^

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mine did the exact same thing in November while I was hiking out an elk on my back in the dark in Wyoming. Fortunately I had my Keen boots in the truck which saved the day. I sent Meindl an email and this was their response. Sucks because I really like my Meindls but I think I'm going to change brands.

Thank you for reaching out to us and your interest in Meindl boots. Unfortunately, at this time we do not do any repairs out of our office. If you have a local cobbler in your area, they may be able to assist you, or we also recommend an authorized cobbler who works with a lot of European brands, including Meindl, his name is Dave Page. He is based out of Seattle and he has a unique skill set where he might able to fix certain things that maybe a local cobbler can’t.
We have provided a link below to Dave’s website which has all of his contact info. Please reach out to him via email or phone and he’ll be able to walk you through the process and give you some costing estimates.

www.davepagecobbler.com

All the best,
Meindl USA

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Springcove
I had a pair of Vasques do that.

I did too several years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Highcountry:

I had a pair of whites rip the whole welt off in less than a week

That image does not even remotely resemble the Whites Packers in my care. Looks like some Chinese rip-off.

White's Packers link

1Minute
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Mine did the exact same thing in November while I was hiking out an elk on my back in the dark in Wyoming. Fortunately I had my Keen boots in the truck which saved the day. I sent Meindl an email and this was their response. Sucks because I really like my Meindls but I think I'm going to change brands.

Thank you for reaching out to us and your interest in Meindl boots. Unfortunately, at this time we do not do any repairs out of our office. If you have a local cobbler in your area, they may be able to assist you, or we also recommend an authorized cobbler who works with a lot of European brands, including Meindl, his name is Dave Page. He is based out of Seattle and he has a unique skill set where he might able to fix certain things that maybe a local cobbler can’t.
We have provided a link below to Dave’s website which has all of his contact info. Please reach out to him via email or phone and he’ll be able to walk you through the process and give you some costing estimates.

www.davepagecobbler.com

All the best,
Meindl USA

In other words “sorry bout your luck”

Was this pair the new ones from Meindl USA or the Cabelas branded model?

Last edited by Aviator; 01/03/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Aviator

In other words “sorry bout your luck”

Was this pair the new ones from Meindl USA or the Cabelas branded model?

Pretty much. My local cobbler said they can fix them but I haven't brought them in. I'm wondering if I should just get some new boots.

They are the Cabela's branded model. I didn't even try asking Cabela's since they don't sell them anymore and are owned by BassPro.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
add Meindl to the list with Rocky. Make crap and don't stand behind them

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wash your feet once in a while.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Highcountry:

I had a pair of whites rip the whole welt off in less than a week

That image does not even remotely resemble the Whites Packers in my care. Looks like some Chinese rip-off.

White's Packers link

Perhaps one of these? https://whitesboots.com/foreman/safety/

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Sent David page an email. Depending on cost I’ll probably give that a try since they’re brand new never worn.
Ordered a pair of Danner Santiam’s today.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,606
Posts18,492,376
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.