D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Check out the Mauser 18, Eurooptic has them in 6.5 PRC for $429. I haven’t compared one to a Mossberg, but did work with one for a good bud. I was impressed.

DF

I think that the Mauser 18 is better rifle and a better value than the Mossberg Patriot even though they cost about $100 more.

Or the RAR Series, the T/C lineup, the Salvage Axis, et. al., including any and all of the low priced rifles. Although those do shoot, the M-18 is special.

And, it's WELL worth the extra "C" note, no contest, IMO.

DF

But they only come in wood and blued CM, right?

If you're asking about the M-18, the one I worked with was synthetic and black nitride steel. https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M18-65-PRC-22-Synthetic-5rd-Mag-Bolt-Action-Rifle-M18065P.aspx It had been $429.

DF

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input. The M18 was actually another rifle I was looking at. Had an American, couldn't stand the stock. I have several higher end rifles, but I'm looking at options I can leave in the truck/beat up and not worry about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Pappy348
One reviewer I watched commented on the very thin right side rail, that one had to be careful handling it when out of the stock, as it looked easily bent. In general, reviews seem pretty positive as regards function and accuracy.

I don’t care for the plastic parts used to hold the magazine in place under the action, but Mossberg is hardly alone in using such parts where old guys think metal should be. As usual, when bargain-priced new rifles are discussed, I recommend Howa/Weatherby Vanguard. They’re solid rifles with traditional construction, often available at prices comparable to the Tupperware guns.

Vanguards are clubs. Mossberg Patriots are not. I bought and sold 3 Vanguards before I had to just admit that even though they are a well built , classy rifle, they weight too much and are "clubby". The Patriot I owned was light and well balanced. A rifle that one would enjoy carrying all day. I sold it because it was 300 Win mag and caused me recoil headaches.

Metal is heavier than plastic, no doubt about it. The Howas are among the rifles that need a light stock and barrel to “make weight”. My Alpine goes 7 pounds 13.4 ounces with a 30mm Burris E1 3-9x40 in Burris Sig rings on Warne steel bases and a leather strap. A slightly lighter scope in LW Talleys and a nylon strap would shave some off that, but it’s okay as-is for me. The Vanguard Griptonite SA stock weighs 39oz, far too much for some uses for me, but like the Ruger AW it’s very stiff and strong. Walnut would probably be lighter. Both rifles have forged steel actions with one-piece bolts and metal hinged floorplates. Since I’m a Luddite that looks at rifles as durable goods, not disposables, sintered/MIM and plastic action parts offend my sensibilities and I don’t suffer them willingly. Everybody has their own notions about what matters.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a coupla Mossberg Patriot Synthetic - Vortex Scoped Combos in .270 WIN.

Hell of a lot of MOA rifle/scope for < $400.

[Linked Image from mossberg.com]

GR

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought a wood stocked Mossberg Patriot in .243 Winchester used from my LGS. My Mossberg 500 shot better groups at 100 yards than that Patriot did. Hard pass.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
IC B2

L
L
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

In 2018- I bought one brand new in the box in 30-06 for $300- woman had bought it for her husband for Christmas and caught him cheating on Christmas eve. Shoots 3/4 moa with 150 core locks. What more can you ask for in value for dollars spent- camo version too.

Last edited by LowcountryRebel; 01/02/21.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by LowcountryRebel
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

In 2018- I bought one brand new in the box in 30-06 for $300- woman had bought it for her husband for Christmas and caught him cheating on Christmas eve. Shoots 3/4 moa with 150 core locks. What more can you ask for in value for dollars spent- camo version too.

blush

Guess that ole boy may never know how lucky he is, that she decided to sell it to you rather than use it on him....

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
One reviewer I watched commented on the very thin right side rail, that one had to be careful handling it when out of the stock, as it looked easily bent. In general, reviews seem pretty positive as regards function and accuracy.

I don’t care for the plastic parts used to hold the magazine in place under the action, but Mossberg is hardly alone in using such parts where old guys think metal should be. As usual, when bargain-priced new rifles are discussed, I recommend Howa/Weatherby Vanguard. They’re solid rifles with traditional construction, often available at prices comparable to the Tupperware guns.

Vanguards are clubs. Mossberg Patriots are not. I bought and sold 3 Vanguards before I had to just admit that even though they are a well built , classy rifle, they weight too much and are "clubby". The Patriot I owned was light and well balanced. A rifle that one would enjoy carrying all day. I sold it because it was 300 Win mag and caused me recoil headaches.

Metal is heavier than plastic, no doubt about it. The Howas are among the rifles that need a light stock and barrel to “make weight”. My Alpine goes 7 pounds 13.4 ounces with a 30mm Burris E1 3-9x40 in Burris Sig rings on Warne steel bases and a leather strap. A slightly lighter scope in LW Talleys and a nylon strap would shave some off that, but it’s okay as-is for me. The Vanguard Griptonite SA stock weighs 39oz, far too much for some uses for me, but like the Ruger AW it’s very stiff and strong. Walnut would probably be lighter. Both rifles have forged steel actions with one-piece bolts and metal hinged floorplates. Since I’m a Luddite that looks at rifles as durable goods, not disposables, sintered/MIM and plastic action parts offend my sensibilities and I don’t suffer them willingly. Everybody has their own notions about what matters.

Entry level rifles generally work fine for the guy on a tight budget who shoots a box or two of factory ammo during the course of a year. I've hunted with a lot more people who were casual hunters than people who were rifle looneys. I would rather hunt with casual hunters than rifle looneys 'cause they don't obsess over the latest greatest rifle, cartridge, scope, etc. They go to deer camp to enjoy the camaraderie of people that they may only see once a year, eat, drink, play cards, and maybe shoot a deer. Sort of like the deer camp described in the lyrics of Second Week of Deer Camp by Da Yoopers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.