G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by Salty303
If you never see the sun... sure take some vit D

Even if you see the sun, doesn't mean your making enough D

after the age of 25 the amt. synthesized decreases and about age 50 you will need 4 times as much as at 25

but hey, your call.

Well, you've inspired me to go pick up some D3.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

after the age of 25 the amt. synthesized decreases and about age 50 you will need 4 times as much as at 25

but hey, your call.

Well I'm 60 and my doctor being new to me and the last fuqk loosing all my records ordered up complete blood work. He told me don't change whatever you're doing. I don't take any vitamins. A lot of very smart people maintain vitamins have been promoted light years beyond their usefulness over the last 50 years. (A pattern with big pharma). I happen to believe this.

edit to add- I do eat well though a big salad every day, lots of nuts, whole grain cereal for breakfast. Other than that I eat what i want, lots of meat etc. I do this because 10 years ago I wasn't so healthy.

Last edited by Salty303; 01/02/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Your best bet is to get 10 minutes of sunlight on the skin. Take off your shirt and put on shorts and get a full body charge of sunlight, if possible.
Cold weather here but I did get 5 good minutes today.

Plus I take 5,000 IU every day.

Vitamin D is critical and every year they come up with more benefits that it has for us.

I worked in a hospital for 14 years and I heard more than one doctor making fun of vitamins. You gotta watch doctors, they are a combination of arrogance and ignorance.
They think they know it all, but they don't. Plus doctors make money from prescriptions, and they can't make any money from vitamins since they are readily available, thus many docs just ignore vitamins. Ignorance.

Most of us do need vitamin supplements, especially B vitamins and Vitamin C.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

but hey, your call.

Well I'm 60 and my doctor being new to me and the last fuqk loosing all my records ordered up complete blood work. He told me don't change whatever you're doing. I don't take any vitamins. A lot of very smart people maintain vitamins have been promoted light years beyond their usefulness over the last 50 years. (A pattern with big pharma). I happen to believe this.

I'm not sure VitD levels are checked in routine blood work. Every test costs money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldHat

but hey, your call.

I'm not sure VitD levels are checked in routine blood work. Every test costs money.

On my plan I think they'll pay for complete tests every other year. Also I edited my post after you quoted it to say I pay attention to eating mostly healthy stuff.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OldHat

but hey, your call.

On my plan I think they'll pay for complete tests every other year. Also I edited my post after you quoted it to say I pay attention to eating mostly healthy stuff.

Okay. I'm not trying to win an internet prize. Does not matter to me either way whether you have had your vitD tested.

In Alaska low D is a common problem.

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
most Big Pharm doesn't make vitamins, cant patent anything and margins aren't high enough

smaller independents mostly

Docs don't play with vitamins because they cant monitor the results to see if any changes have occurred.

their usual cop out is, "If your eating the right kind of foods you'll get the vits. you need" then pass it off down the line. the same folks that invented the glycemic index.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Actually, a nutritionist at Cancer Treatment Center in IL told us that the folks with the lowest Vitamin D come from Arizona and New Mexico.
She said it was because we all wear long sleeves to combat skin cancer.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tossed salad

LOL

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As always, a good thread by Etoh.

Many thanks.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Oldest daughter is an FNP. She has wife and I on 2x13,000 D3 once a week. IIRC, she said that lethal dosage in blood serum was approx 120. Highest level that she had ever personally seen was by a body builder "heavy supplementer" was approx 80. She did not figure normal supplementation would raise blood serum levels anywhere near high enough to be problematic...

As far as multi vitamins, there are MANY variations in levels and content. Even within the same brand. I've been doing 2x Centrum Silver for Men daily for the past couple years. While there are only minor differences in levels between the Centrum Silver for Men versus the same for women, there are some huge differences between the Silver and regular Centrums. Likewise levels between the solid tablets and the "gummies" vary as well...

Read the labels...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tag

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Definitely better than a multi

add Zinc and take 2 of the mens multi.

I have been taking a multi vitamin (Walmart brand, over 50), 3 1000 IU vitamin D, and a 500 mg vitamin C every morning with my other meds. Last week I started taking a 50 mg Zinc with them. That gave me terrible runs so I stopped.

Question, is 3 1000 IU vitamin D doing any good or should I take more? And what of the 50 mg Zinc, they shouldn't be giving me the runs should they?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

I have been taking a multi vitamin (Walmart brand, over 50), 3 1000 IU vitamin D, and a 500 mg vitamin C every morning with my other meds. Last week I started taking a 50 mg Zinc with them. That gave me terrible runs so I stopped.

Question, is 3 1000 IU vitamin D doing any good or should I take more? And what of the 50 mg Zinc, they shouldn't be giving me the runs should they?

No one can tell you if 3000 iu D is right for you. Everyone needs bloodwork to get a baseline before you supplement D. As far as zinc, 50mg can cause diarrhea in some people. You said you take a multi. How much zinc is in the multi? Most likely the combination is too much for you. If you took 25mg zinc plus your multi you'd probably be fine.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

No one can tell you if 3000 iu D is right for you. Everyone needs bloodwork to get a baseline before you supplement D. As far as zinc, 50mg can cause diarrhea in some people. You said you take a multi. How much zinc is in the multi? Most likely the combination is too much for you. If you took 25mg zinc plus your multi you'd probably be fine.

Thanks

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
and when they do take D its not enough and the wrong one. should be D3

If you want a prophylaxis list

all the above and add. in order of importance

aspirin
NAC -- N Acetyl Cystene , precursor to glutathionene ( not checked for spelling)
Resveratol - polyphenol ---- antioxidant. many subgroups in polyphenols elderberry etc.
Tumeric-Cummerin
ARB- angiotensin receptor blocker such as Losarten - this one needs an Rx
Vit C in Rose hips, (pantothenic acid)

add more if you want.

Nice, Thanks Etoh, for decades I've taken daily:

Mens multi
20,000 iu VitD 3
Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc
Tumeric

As well as at least a teaspoon of cinnamon on something for breakfast.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been taking the Centrum Silver for men over 50 for years. Couldn't find it the last time I looked, so bought some One A Day that are supposed to be the same thing. Was in Walmart yesterday, and did pick up some bottles of Vitamin D3 1000's.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My D was low, Doc prescribed a 50,000 unit Vit d2 to take once a week. After the levels are up take a 5000ml D3 daily. I must have crested the hill at 50years because it been all down hill ever since. LOL!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw this on a video ....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (12344mag, 6mmbrfan, 257 roberts, 21, akrange, 2500HD, 17 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,085
Posts18,501,693
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.