Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
CASH IS KING............... It took time and lots of work to get to this point in my life, but it is easy to maintain. Sometimes it is unavoidable to deal with actual cash and I establish what is what with each and every deal.

Benjamin, is that you? Ben-ja-min?

LOL
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tend to use credit cards when buying. A credit card charge can be reversed if the gun goes missing in shipment or doesn't get shipped.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would except for the fact that alot, if not most charge an additional 3-4% fee for use of credit card. I'm a quarter Scot-Irish and someone told me once that makes me cheap!!!!! grin Plastic use adds an additional $3-4 per $100 to the price of a gun. I get free bank MO's at my bank.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
smile Person to person sales dont get to far with credit cards!!! If i dont have cash a atm usually does. Anyone in the junk,scrap business always has a wallet full of cash, thats how ya get a deal. Lots of guns have been bought in bar with cash !!!!! grin grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I mostly use a debit card. Same as spending cash (and not spending cash I don't have via a credit card) without the hassle of getting cash from a bank or ATM.

I've actually completed private gun transactions (once at a gun show) by using PayPal. If the other guy has a PP account it's a simple matter to transfer money to him right there on the spot via smartphone. Again, no need to go to the bank or ATM to fill the holster with cash beforehand. If you aren't dumb enough to tell PP it's for a gun deal there's no way they can ding you.

Not secure enough for you? After 20 years and God knows how many transactions of credit card/debit card/PayPal use I have never been breached. Ever. And I don't personally know a soul who has. Every time a fogey insists on paper payment I mutter under my breath the whole time I'm driving and waiting in line to effect it. I also mutter under my breath as I write a check when "allowed in lieu of postal MO" knowing that having the item in my hands will be delayed that much longer while waiting on the mail to deliver it and then waiting for it to clear. (By the way, why do some yokels take, like, a week to let it clear? It's the digital age for pete's sake, checks clear almost instantly. It's not 1958 anymore.)

Believe it or don't, routing numbers on bank checks can be monkied with, and it can take a month for the bank to find out they made a BooBoo and gave you the money. Then they come after you to get the money back. A couple big time Mopar collectors go burned just a year or two back. I had my 66 Fury III rag top for sale and asked my bank how long I had to hold the car till the check cleared. She said one full business day. Then I told her about the collectors. She said, "Oh, that's very rare".

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, back in the 80's-90's when I was wheeling and dealing in British cars and parts we all carried bankrolls big enough to choke horses. Like Don said, that's how deals got done. My buddy and I dropped $30K for a Ferrari 308 GTB and paid cash because we had the lead on the car and hit our banks the week beforehand.* We were on tenterhooks looking over our shoulders the whole way to the rendezvous. (What he didn't know at the time was I had a 1911A1 under the seat of my MGA Twin Cam. Legal because it was PA and I had a concealed carry permit.) I don't think I would have the balls to conduct business like that today. When I bought a pristine MGB-GT a little over a year ago I asked the seller ahead of time if we could do the deal with PayPal on the spot and he said sure, so that's how we did it. 3% is not much for insurance against being robbed - not as good insurance as a .45 Colt but whatcha gonna do here in Marylandistan.

I only ever started one gun deal in a bar. When the guy went out to fetch the pistol the bartender leaned over and said be careful, the gun's probably hot. I chickened out.

* Mind you those were 1983 dollars. We agreed that we only would drive the car on alternating weekends lest either of us cracked it up before we could sell it. We sold the car in 6 weeks for a very healthy profit. I only got a couple turns behind the wheel. What a rush, and from the lingering looks of girls I found myself really really wishing I wasn't married at the time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Years ago, my cousin told me his UPS guy had several brand new 9MM's for crazy cheap. Not knowing any details, I told him to pass. A couple years later, a friend, who was a big Loss Prevention Manager, told me the schat was about to hit the fan and it would not look good. LP had caught a driver stealing 9MM's and running most of them to New York. They caught him on the first or second gun. LP turned it over to the Alexandria Police, who turned it over to the higher jurisdictional agencies. Some know it all decided to let him continue, so they could catch the "King Pin, Ring Leader". They let it go on for 2 years before they were able to figure out it was just one stupid driver with a side gig. If you remember 20+ years ago, in the news, all of the hype of the 95 corridor, running guns from Virginia to New York, 600 of them was one of our drivers, under the close supervision of the powers to be.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Years ago, my cousin told me his UPS guy had several brand new 9MM's for crazy cheap. Not knowing any details, I told him to pass. A couple years later, a friend, who was a big Loss Prevention Manager, told me the schat was about to hit the fan and it would not look good. LP had caught a driver stealing 9MM's and running most of them to New York. They caught him on the first or second gun. LP turned it over to the Alexandria Police, who turned it over to the higher jurisdictional agencies. Some know it all decided to let him continue, so they could catch the "King Pin, Ring Leader". They let it go on for 2 years before they were able to figure out it was just one stupid driver with a side gig. If you remember 20+ years ago, in the news, all of the hype of the 95 corridor, running guns from Virginia to New York, 600 of them was one of our drivers, under the close supervision of the powers to be.

Sounds like it was Slick Willie’s version of “Fast and Furious” or whatever the Halfican and Holder’s scam was called.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sure, post 1959 but geezz it's like new. Love the 308s and that gun is a looker. You get what you pay for these days.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.