Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
"sporterizing" is a technique to spend $400 turning a $500 rifle into a $75 rifle.

Poole

I guess I ruined my Mausers...... frown

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
"sporterizing" is a technique to spend $400 turning a $500 rifle into a $75 rifle.

Poole

Sadly, I just learned I have a safe full of $75 rifles. wink

I picked up a M38 Huskavarna Swede back in the '80's that I had sporterized. D & T, barrel recrowned, bolt handle altered, reblued and restocked. One of the most accurate rifles I own with the original barrel.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by irfubar

Poole

Sadly, I just learned I have a safe full of $75 rifles. wink

I picked up a M38 Huskavarna Swede back in the '80's that I had sporterized. D & T, barrel recrowned, bolt handle altered, reblued and restocked. One of the most accurate rifles I own with the original barrel.

When Swede M38 barrels were dirt cheap, I had a bunch, but no one wanted a Military profile barrel. Everyone wanted a "sporter" contour barrel. Most of those inexpensive sporter barrels had a 9" twist unlike the Military barrels with their faster twists.

That accounts for why those Kimber sporterized rifles are so popular, their barrels really shoot despite Kimber's shoddy work. I find that after you "clean" them up, they are fine little rifles.

Heck, I just picked up a Sporter put together by Flaigs. Sweet little rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IF it were mine, I’d enjoy it as-is. It’s very expensive to turn one into a nice sporter unless you can do most of the work yourself. All that money would buy a very nice rifle, and you’ll still have your Swede. One of those is on my bucket list, but prices now are crazy, along with everything else.

What fresh Hell is this?
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
IF it were mine, I’d enjoy it as-is. It’s very expensive to turn one into a nice sporter unless you can do most of the work yourself. All that money would buy a very nice rifle, and you’ll still have your Swede. One of those is on my bucket list, but prices now are crazy, along with everything else.

It ain't original.

I love this backward logic: "Why waste money altering a Mauser?" How many buy a production rifle, then set about to restocking, installing new trigger, etc, etc... That's not inexpensive either.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by z1r

It ain't original.

I love this backward logic: "Why waste money altering a Mauser?" How many buy a production rifle, then set about to restocking, installing new trigger, etc, etc... That's not inexpensive either.

Yep..... Rem 700 donor $400, McMillan stock $650, New barrel $600, new trigger $125 what a bargain ..... and yet you still have a Rem 700......

I did most of my own work so I saved a bundle there, in doing so the only time I go over $1200 total is if I splurge on wood or fancy iron sights, oh and fancy checkering gets expensive......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I apologize folks but I have tried posting pictures from my iPad and from my phone and I am repeatedly informed that the pics are too large. Send me a message with email and I will be happy to send them over.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by z1r

It ain't original.

Re-read the original post. He has now determined it is, in fact, original, other than an easily-reversed front sight swap. It is of course his rifle to do with as he pleases, but he asked for advice. I gave mine. The fact that some end up modifying factory guns has nothing to do with his question either, or my answer. Lots of factory guns are perfectly usable as they come, so no added expense is incurred. Never said altering a Mauser was a waste, but it’s absolutely expensive at current prices, and he will have lost money by destroying a nice original that also may be pleasurable for him to use in its current configuration. AGAIN, for the price of making his Swede into a decent sporter, he can have a nice ready-made factory gun, and also enjoy the Swede, or sell it if he wants to. Makes sense to me, might to him too.

What fresh Hell is this?
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[ Makes sense to me, might to him too.

Might.

O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by z1r

It ain't original.

Re-read the original post. He has now determined it is, in fact, original, other than an easily-reversed front sight swap. It is of course his rifle to do with as he pleases, but he asked for advice. I gave mine. The fact that some end up modifying factory guns has nothing to do with his question either, or my answer. Lots of factory guns are perfectly usable as they come, so no added expense is incurred. Never said altering a Mauser was a waste, but it’s absolutely expensive at current prices, and he will have lost money by destroying a nice original that also may be pleasurable for him to use in its current configuration. AGAIN, for the price of making his Swede into a decent sporter, he can have a nice ready-made factory gun, and also enjoy the Swede, or sell it if he wants to. Makes sense to me, might to him too.

Pappy and all thanks again. I am sorry I let this topic get sideways.
I will repeat I was never intending to sporterize this gun.
The gun is in terrific condition, I’ve learned from here that it is 100% all there from pictures you’ve sent.

My only misgiving was wether or not to drill this virgin for an optic. I cannot shoot it with its open sights “effectively” with my vision.

Thank you all again for your insights.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sideways at all, just honest differences of opinion. Bottom line remains: it’s your rifle and you can do whatever winds your clock. If you want to be able to shoot it, there are mounts available that fit the rear sight and allow red dots or scout scopes to be used. Red dots are good to at least 100 yards for me. Those rifles are usually excellent shooters. Watched a guy shoot several at my range not long ago and he was getting really impressive groups. Fine rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I think the definite 'sweet spot' in any collectible-category milsurp conversion, 'deed reversibly done' without wrecking the rifle. Swooping in, picking up the 'remnant' and moving forward from there! From pure Bubbas needing 'life support', to fairly decent 'plastic surgery required' conversions. The idel seeking someone else's investment, having dumped most required time/money into 'it'! Often bargains abounding. Sometimes just requiring bit of 'vision' & tweaking, Others where main investment, just your own time, talent & vision!
Where basic barreled action & stock "workable", often the happiest 'find'; tweaking & sleeking! For those buying entire rifle for action... Unless very reasonable price, Why a milsurp at all? Find a decent Win pre '64 70 or Rem 30 (17 Enfield based); well 'broken in' working gun, go from there. End up with a commercial quality piece of machinery, almost surely well ahead on investment to return value curve!
Just my take
Best & Happy New Year!
John

Last edited by iskra; 01/05/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
With the exception of some U.S. milsurps, I still view such things with an eye toward sporterization. I'm not one to revere the heritage of other countries. I think the values of "original" foreign milsurps is insane. I guess I'm old enough to remember when nobody gave a hoot about keeping Mausers original, and to suggest restoring one to originality would've earned you a trip to the loony bin.

That said, I have a k98, Dot 43 (BRNO 1943), GI bring back, that someone sporterized by dropping the barreled action into a "stutzen" stock and added a Redfield receiver sight. No other holes and the bolt handle wasn't monkeyed with. Decent bore, shoots well. I'm gonna post it for sale but if anyone here is interested I'll give you first dibs. Probably go around $450.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me it’s about the money, not tradition or reverence. There are plenty of good examples of almost every military rifle ever made for historic purposes and I’m not one to buy something to fondle but not shoot, aka “collect”. Hell, just getting a couple holes drilled and tapped runs $40-$60 per hole. Better to sell that puppy to somebody who’ll rub it all over daily and pay for the opportunity and put the bucks into something else.... unless projects are what you like.

I like to thumb through my copy (my second) of Williams’ book on sporterizing from the 60s. The prices are a hoot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Osky
My only misgiving was wether or not to drill this virgin for an optic. I cannot shoot it with its open sights “effectively” with my vision.

You night consider removing the rear sight assembly (totally reversible) and mounting a pistol/intermediate eye relief scope in a scout position using a B-Square no gunsmithing scope mount. I have done that with three military Mausers and find a scout position scope much easier than military sights for 60+ year old eyes to use.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

You night consider removing the rear sight assembly (totally reversible) and mounting a pistol/intermediate eye relief scope in a scout position using a B-Square no gunsmithing scope mount. I have done that with three military Mausers and find a scout position scope much easier than military sights for 60+ year old eyes to use.

A great reversible option for those of us who struggle with open sights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going to the range tomorrow with a PH 1858 Enfield to which I attached a small Weaver base using an existing hole for the ladder sight spring and another screw though the slot in the ladder. On that base is the smallest of the SeeAll sights, which I can see perfectly without glasses(!).

That musket is battle-sighted so even at the lowest position of the sights it shoots very high at 50 yards, not to mention the old eyes issue. When the four-day special season is over, five minutes work will bring that musket back to original configuration.

If I shoot a deer with it, I’ll just put my hat over the sight for the photos.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r

It ain't original.

Pappy and all thanks again. I am sorry I let this topic get sideways.
I will repeat I was never intending to sporterize this gun.
The gun is in terrific condition, I’ve learned from here that it is 100% all there from pictures you’ve sent.

Thank you all again for your insights.

Osky

Osky;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this second Sunday in January finds you and those who matter to you well.

While I'm cognizant that you've made your decision on not modifying an original, for you or any who might be interested in looking at a really and truly modified one, I'll offer this one.

[Linked Image]

It was purchased in the early '80's from Century Arms Montreal for under $60 Cdn which I want to say included shipping and included the extra $5 for "extra clean". That said, it was a lot of money for us then, but it was to be a gift for my father who wanted to get back into hunting since we've moved out to BC where my folks lived and he didn't have a rifle. He's also had a pace maker installed so we needed to have something with light recoil.

Besides being drilled and tapped, the barrel was shortened to 20", the bolt handle replaced, the stock reshaped and checkered and epoxy bedded and a custom fore end cap built.

He was pretty happy with it, hunted with it for years and then before he passed gave it back to me saying that he hoped one of the grand kids might have it someday.

After he was gone, when our girls started hunting, our eldest spotted it in the back of the safe and asked about it. Long story short, after installing a Dayton Traister cock on open kit and trigger, she's accounted for at least 8 local mulie and whitetail bucks with it.

While it might have been a collectors item for sure at one time, for us it's now a 3rd generation family heirloom that she comments about every fall when we're combing the local mountains together. Frankly, I'd wager there's not a number on a cheque anyone would offer her that would pry her away from what was once her Granddads' rifle, you know?

Anyways, it's a grand cartridge, that little rifle is a wonderfully lively hunting arm and it's works well. As always, there's many roads to Mecca and all that - this is the one we took and that's all I mean to say here.

All the best to you this year. Good luck with your Swede whichever way you go.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/10/21. Reason: schpell czech

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dwayne,

Nice to hear about a rifle being passed down and used! I treasure all the firearms I've inherited or that were given to my by family or friends!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifle, Dwayne, and great story.

FWIW, the SeeAll 1858 project was a success. Now all I need is a volunteer for the freezer. When the four-day season is over it’ll go back to original condition for target work. Somewhat of a surprise was how well it shot with roundballs, considering the 1-48 progressive-depth rifling. Easy to load too. Was thinking about selling it, but not now!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,500 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.